View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: How to get rid of KDE error messages. Reply with quote

Hi all,

While I love KDE, one thing that annoys me is its tendency to throw up error messages in konsole, say, when running konqueror if it is executed from the command line. I know there's a way to go throw and stop it from outputting these errors, but it requires one to go through the tons of error types given that it's not clear what errors you want to shut down. Also, in the event of something really serious happening, I would like there to be error messages!

Does anybody have their system set up in such a way, and, if so, how did you get it working in said manner?

Best,

Alex
!equilibrium
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't run konqueror in console, launch it from a desktop icon ;)

all my contents are released under the Creative Commons Licence by-nc-nd 2.5
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, that's not always possible as it will sometimes be launched from pine which I use as a mail reader (don't get on my case about that ;)). However, the thing is, konqueror will still spit out errors if this is done, just not to the console.

Thanks anyway!

Alex

DarkAngel76 wrote:
don't run konqueror in console, launch it from a desktop icon ;)
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's an attempt to bump the topic. I have a computer that I use at work, also a gentoo system which I personally set up.

Anyway, on that system I don't get the error messages when running konqueror or other kde apps via the console. If memory serves me, there's a program that is used to set the error messages one gets from various apps in kde. What is that app again and what is the config file associated with said app so that I can potentially just copy it from the machine without the troubles to the machine with the troubles?

Alex
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I tried the strategy described in my previous message and it didn't work. Launching from the icon is OK, though not if you're logged in remotely, so that's not a real choice.

Might it have something to do with the fact that I am running ck-sources and not gentoo-sources?

Just grasping in the dark at this point.

Alex
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another piece of information. The errors I am getting are the same errors that are dumped into .xsession-errors. I am guessing that on my other system some flag has been set so that the warnings or whatever only get dumped into said file and not onto the console. Anybody know what this might be?

Best,

Alex
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Konqueror from the command line a lot. I've got the following function defined in my .bashrc file which takes care of the error messages:
Code:
k () {
    konqueror $@ &
    disown
}

The key is "disown" which totally separates konq from the terminal window that launched it. You can even close the terminal and konq keeps going. If you launch konq (or any other program) in the background, you can then run disown to "detach" it manually.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kindly. I'll give that a shot!

Best,

Alex
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say that trick didn't work. I still get the same error messages output into the terminal window.

Alex
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very strange. It certainly works for me and I use it a lot. It works for other folks too. You can do a search here for "disown" to see what others have to say about it.

I looked up "disown" and found it is part of the bash shell. If you are using a shell other than bash then it probably won't do what you want. But if you are using bash then disown after launching a job in the background should do exactly what you are asking for.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

BitJam wrote:
That is very strange. It certainly works for me and I use it a lot. It works for other folks too. You can do a search here for "disown" to see what others have to say about it.

Well, the problem seems to be that the error output is being dumped to konsole and I suspect said error output is running via another process. Who knows, but, as I said, even after following your suggestion and running source .bashrc, I still get the errors:

Code:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode:  7
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x1a00008
  Major opcode:  25

etc.

Again, I once had a machine (older version of linux and redhat) which never gave me any problems of this sort and there was no need for disown. As such, I am guessing that the problem is in some aspect of how things are configured, i.e., telling linux to dump errors to the console and .xsession-error.

Best,

Alex
rteichmann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can control KDE's error messages output with the tool "kdebugdialog". "kdebugdialog --fullmode" might also be useful (kde-base/kdebugdialog)
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rteichmann wrote:
You can control KDE's error messages output with the tool "kdebugdialog". "kdebugdialog --fullmode" might also be useful (kde-base/kdebugdialog)

Hi, yes, I know of it, but I don't really know what to shut off in this case. Just shutting off bugs from konqueror did not do the trick. If anybody knows how to easily use kdebugdialogue to prevent error messages from going to the console, let me know, please. I could simply go through all of the zillion different systems and change them over, but, well, it would take a long time!

Best,

Alex
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoweiss wrote:
I still get the errors:

Code:

Major opcode:  7
  Major opcode:  25

etc.

Those didn't look like Konqueror error messages so I did a Google and found out that they are X Windows error messages, perhaps being generated by QT. But it was one of those problems where many people were reporting it on a wide variety of situations and no one was giving concrete solutions.

This leads me to guess that either you are running a buggy version of QT or you are having some version mismatch problem between KDE, QT and/or your X Windows system.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

BitJam wrote:

Those didn't look like Konqueror error messages so I did a Google and found out that they are X Windows error messages, perhaps being generated by QT. But it was one of those problems where many people were reporting it on a wide variety of situations and no one was giving concrete solutions.

This leads me to guess that either you are running a buggy version of QT or you are having some version mismatch problem between KDE, QT and/or your X Windows system.

Yeah, I got that impression, too, though I can't imagine what kind of mismatch there would be:

[ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6
[ebuild R ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r8
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kde-3.4.3

Any thoughts or ideas?

Alex
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through this thread again and now I pretty certain that this is a problem with ssh X forwarding (which I assume you are doing since you said you're "logged in remotely"). A Google(badwindow ssh) gave some interesting results.

The standard fix for this problem is:
Quote:
Using "trusted" X11 forwarding (ssh -Y) appears to fix the problem. The ForwardX11Trusted=yes directive may be specified in ~/.ssh/config as an alternative to specifying the -Y flag on the command line.

If this doesn't fix your problem, I still think that you should focus your inquiry on ssh X-forwarding and away from KDE/Konqueror. For one thing, this would explain why disown failed to solve the problem: the error messages aren't coming directly from Konq. to the terminal because even if Konq. is disown'ed, the terminal is still an integral part of the X-windows system due to the X-forwarding and is thus still getting the error messages.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I will try that out as I am sure that will fix things when I do it remotely, but it still doesn't address why I am having this problem when I am not working remotely, but on my home computer and launching konqueror and other apps locally.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and I am learning a lot as I usually do when I try to tackle some kind of problem!

Best,

Alex
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am puzzled that disown does not solve the problem locally.

The only thing I can think of is to try different combinations of things and see if there is anything that makes the problem go away. For example try launching Konq. from an aterm or xterm and see if you still have the problem. Then maybe even try using Fluxbox or some other desktop manager and see if the problem persists.

Another thing to try is to close the konsole window that you used to launch Konq. If disown is working properly then the Konq. window should stay open even though the konsole window closes.

Are you running KDE as root by any chance?
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

BitJam wrote:
I am puzzled that disown does not solve the problem locally.

As am I, especially as it seemed to do the trick for others. With respect to Xorg, do you launch it from the console or do you have the machine you're using boot into kdm or the like?

Quote:

The only thing I can think of is to try different combinations of things and see if there is anything that makes the problem go away. For example try launching Konq. from an aterm or xterm and see if you still have the problem. Then maybe even try using Fluxbox or some other desktop manager and see if the problem persists.

I tried launching it from xterm and fluxbox, neither made one whit of difference. The same exact problem occurred and the number of errors that shot up on the screen was greater when I used fluxbox.

Quote:

Another thing to try is to close the konsole window that you used to launch Konq. If disown is working properly then the Konq. window should stay open even though the konsole window closes.

Tried this and disown is working properly.

Quote:
Are you running KDE as root by any chance?

Nope.

Alex
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoweiss wrote:
With respect to Xorg, do you launch it from the console or do you have the machine you're using boot into kdm or the like?

I start KDE via /etc/init.d/xdm which then calls kdm (I think).

But if you are getting the same problem after disowning from an xterm inside of Fluxbox then it is hard for me to imagine that the way KDE is started is relevant.
Quote:
Tried this [closing konsole window] and disown is working properly.

I bet that solved the error message problem. :-)
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
I start KDE via /etc/init.d/xdm which then calls kdm (I think).

Sounds like what I am doing. On my server at work I don't have it do that, but just launch via startx from the console. I think the reason I get no errors doing that is everything is just dumped into the .xsession-errors file. Can you check your copy of this file to see if you have similar errors to mine in it when you run konqueror?

Quote:
But if you are getting the same problem after disowning from an xterm inside of Fluxbox then it is hard for me to imagine that the way KDE is started is relevant.

Hard to say, really... I suspect there's some way to tell the system that you don't want error messages dumped onto the console and I just need to find out how to do it.

Quote:
I bet that solved the error message problem. :-)

Chuckle... yeah, it sure did!

Alex
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoweiss wrote:
Can you check your copy of this file to see if you have similar errors to mine in it when you run konqueror?

I do have one similar error message in my .xsession-errors:
Code:
  Major opcode:  18
  Resource id:  0x2c00141

But I am not sure it is coming from Konqueror. It might not even be coming from an app started in a Konsole window.

Earlier in the thread you said that the error messages in the Konsole window were the same as those in the .xsession-errors file. Is it true that each error message shows up in both places?

Another thing to try is:
Code:
$ konqueror some-file &>> ~/.xsession-errors &
$ disown

I predict that this won't fix the problem either but it will tend to confirm that it is not the konqueror process that is generating the error messages.
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

BitJam wrote:
But I am not sure it is coming from Konqueror. It might not even be coming from an app started in a Konsole window.

I just did some checking and your guess was right; it's not coming from konqueror.

Quote:
Earlier in the thread you said that the error messages in the Konsole window were the same as those in the .xsession-errors file. Is it true that each error message shows up in both places?

Scratch the assertion. There are similar errors, but they are not coming from konqueror, though something else is clearly leading to it.

Quote:

Another thing to try is:
Code:
$ konqueror some-file &>> ~/.xsession-errors &
$ disown

I predict that this won't fix the problem either but it will tend to confirm that it is not the konqueror process that is generating the error messages.

I actually sent the output into a testfile instead of xsession-errors as it's easier keeping track of it that way, and, well, the error messages are in the file when I did it so it is konqueror.

I probably should add, now that I've fooled around with this more, the pattern of errors. First, when the page come up I get:

Code:

QFont::setPixelSize: Pixel size <= 0 (0)
QFont::setPixelSize: Pixel size <= 0 (0)

Some websites are clearly more problematic than others. Yahoo mail, for example, is the one where I get the most problems, especially when going into a mail folder or shutting down konqueror via control-f4. When I do either I get a blizzard of those Invalid Window parameter errors.

Best,

Alex
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Given that the problem seems specific to yahoo and a few other websites, I imagine it's an example of bad coding that somehow plays havoc with konqueror. There are some other buggy things about their website, too, i.e., not letting me just hit the reply button when I want to reply to an email. I've sent a complaint in and will see whether I hear any news back from them. Until then, any other suggestions would be cool!

Alex
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the redirection to a test file work? You indicated that error messages got into the test file. Did they stop appearing in the konsole window or did they end up in both the konsole and the test file?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: