3 questions - x11,
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uzytkownik
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: 3 questions - x11, Reply with quote

1. I cannot find anywhere int Internet.
Except modularisation is it any advantage of x11-xorg-7?
I have an old graphic card(ATI Rage), which works with build-in driver.

2. I'd like to more sharp flags then:
-O2 -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -pipe
Which flags are filtred out by gentoo(the I can use it safly). I cannot find it in google or in this forum.

3. Can I saftly ater 1 and 2 (if fact during) left emerge -e world.
I'm going on holidays and computer will have time to do it. But I afraid I will not time to coming back.

Regards.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions - x11, Reply with quote

Uzytkownik wrote:
1. I cannot find anywhere int Internet.
Except modularisation is it any advantage of x11-xorg-7?
I have an old graphic card(ATI Rage), which works with build-in driver.

Xorg-7 has exactly the same source code that 6.9 does. So, no, except for the modularization (that can be seen as and advantage or as a downside) it has not advantage over 6.9. Anyway, I think that Xorg will continue that way, and the advantages will be seen in the future, since a modular design will boost the updates and shorten the time between releases in the different components.

Quote:

2. I'd like to more sharp flags then:
-O2 -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -pipe
Which flags are filtred out by gentoo(the I can use it safly). I cannot find it in google or in this forum.

Do you mean that you want a 3-4 line cflags? Then look around, there are lots of threads about that.

Quote:

3. Can I saftly ater 1 and 2 (if fact during) left emerge -e world.
I'm going on holidays and computer will have time to do it. But I afraid I will not time to coming back.

Regards.

After 1 yes, it has nothing to do with the rest of the world, after 2, if I understood 2 ok, you will get some package breackages, posibly. Esoteric flags break packages, that is why not everyone uses this "suposedly optimum" cflags set.
Uzytkownik
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. After modulisation(which is advantage from developers view) code could be faster (cause there are only needed things in memory).
I didn't know how is with x.org.

2. Mayby not 3-7 lines but with some more optimisation.

3. Ok. And how with gcc4. I used to use it, and there was some problems (esspecially with non compiling some packages), but is it safely to this emerge -e world?

Regards.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uzytkownik wrote:
1. After modulisation(which is advantage from developers view) code could be faster (cause there are only needed things in memory).
I didn't know how is with x.org.

No, xorg already loads only the needed components. The only differences for the end users are:
1.- The handling of dependencies is a bit harder.
2.- It takes less hard disk space.

Quote:

2. Mayby not 3-7 lines but with some more optimisation.

There are make files, and developers uses this to optimize the flags for their code. If someone want a fancy cflags set s/he is on his/hre own risk. The first thing people should do when using these silly optimizations is to read the whole gcc man page and understand it, then you can know what does "a bit more optimisation" mean.

Quote:

3. Ok. And how with gcc4. I used to use it, and there was some problems (esspecially with non compiling some packages), but is it safely to this emerge -e world?

I dont understand well. If you mean if you can compile all the world with gcc4, well, I think that things have become a lot better, and, probably, with a conservative cflags setup most packages will compile just fine, but dont rely on it. It is masked, and hard masked, for a reason.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: