downloading Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack_Frost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: downloading Gentoo Reply with quote

I am new to linux but have heard some exceptional things about gentoo and would like to know how i download it?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Frost, since you are a newb, I have a few words of caution from an avid gentoo lover...
Make sure that you are willing to spend lots of time learning the inner workings of your system, and linux. Linux is NOT windows. It takes time and effort to be useful.

Be sure to search the forums for answers, and post if you can't find them.

also drop on into the #gentoo chat irc channel (irc.freenode.net #gentoo) there are many awesome people that can help you there.

Gentoo is a system that is hand configured, not automated, so don't expect to get it right the first or even second time. That's what makes it fun.

If all else fails, and you start to give up hope, let us on the forums know your troubles and we will try to help you out. Also, if you find that it just isn't for you...there are other great distros out there, that are much "easier " to get running. Mandrake, Redhat, SuSe.

Good luck, welcome to Gentoo.
Jack_Frost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i go to that site it is just a directory structure. Do i just right click on every file and save or is there an easier way? Also if you could let me know which directories i will need that would be helpful as well. Thanks guys and i look forward to getting acquainted with gentoo.
arkhan_jg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the install guide: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml
first, then you'll probably find the three stage iso easiest:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc3/x86/x86/livecd/
is one place to get it, though a local mirror may be faster.
Jack_Frost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i got the ISO downloaded and i am able to boot to it. Now it goes through a bunch of things and then stops at the root# and i am not sure what to do at that point. I also have my hard drives on a striped raid array and i am currently running windows xp on 80% of the harddrive and i am wanting to put gentoo on the other partition. Will gentoo allow me to install it on my second partition or will it overwrite my XP installation. I hope you guys can help me out. I really want to get this working and i have heard that gentoo linux is about the best out there right now.
michaelb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkhan_jg wrote:
Hit the install guide: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml
first, then you'll probably find the three stage iso easiest:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc3/x86/x86/livecd/
is one place to get it, though a local mirror may be faster.

Pretty much sums it up.

Now I would like to strongly suggest you consider what you are about to undertake. This is going to take you a loooong time, a lot of effort and it will be a steep learning curve. It sounds like you have a tricky install, and you will want to back up all your important Windows data before you begin, because you very well may b0rk it but good. I have migrated to Gentoo after trying many different distros, and I do feel rather strongly that it's the best out there. I do not, however, think it's a good one to start with. You should seriously consider trying out Mandrake or Redhat first to get a feel for how linux works before trying to get Gentoo installed on your system. I have seen way too many people try to take too big a step at first, and get very frustrated by the experience. If you're ready and willing, then make sure you spend the time to read very carefully the documentation at your disposal, and be ready to invest some serious amounts of time into the project.

Just my $2*10^-2

Michael
can8ianbak0s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the amount of patience you need to get you Gentoo system up and running. It took me a little over two weeks of doing the reinstall 4 times from stage 3 to get a good working system. You must have a strong curiosity and motivation to succeed and trust me once you get it right, there is not a better feeling in the world that you have just build your entire OS and it is fast as heck. Another thing is that you have to remember is that all the software you will need you will have to compile it. And yes that takes some more time. The forums in here are SOLID and search alot before posting because chances are that you will read something not related to your current issue, but may run into it at a later time. I cannot stress it enough....READ, READ, READ. Have a blast and one heck of a great learning experience. ~bak0s
Jack_Frost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to give redhat a shot just to get a bit of experience first and then i will go with gentoo. I am having a problem installing redhat though and i was wondering if maybe someone could help me out. I downloaded all of the images and made the boot floppy. I am able to boot to the floppy and it give me the main screen and i hit enter to do a graphical installation and it loads the first file just fine(I forget what it was called) but when it gets to initrd.img it says boot failed and wants me to changes the disks and then press any key to continue. I have formatted about 5 floppies and remade the boot disk 5 times as well and i am still getting the same error. Is it possible i just got a bad image? Or could there be something else. I hope someone can help me out with this. Thanks again guys and i look forward to installing gentoo very soon.
arkhan_jg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using redhat when they decided to make it much harder to download security patches for their distro without paying for the priviledge (even for purchasers of the boxed set!)

Still, politics aside, I seem to remember that you need more than just a boot disk for redhat when using floppies; I think you need couple of extras, like a modules disk, network disk, pcmcia disk, that sort of thing.

The CD-ROM is also bootable, so it might be worth a shot just trying to boot off the first CD. (you may need to change the boot order in your bios to get it to boot your CD before the hard drive though).

Failing that... well, redhat support website can be found here, they may well have more tips.
Jack_Frost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know where i may be able to download the highpoint 370 raid driver for redhat 8.0? I can find drivers for up to redhat 7.3 but those don't work? Hopefully someone can help.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with RedHat, but I do have 4 Gentoo machines set-up the way you were thinking of setting-up your machine.
3 dualboot Windows/Gentoo
All 4 use ataraid controllers (2 Highpoint, 2 Promise)
Installation can be tricky, but I would be happy to share my experience in more detail if you want.
windymillar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there additional generic instructions on installing Gentoo into a dual boot system.

I currently have XP on Disk 1, Windows ME on Disk 2 controlled by BootMagic and works very well.

I would like to install Linux onto the last partition on Disk 1 which currently has 1 Boot partition, 1 XP system partition(7Gb active) and 3 data partitions ( 14, 20 and 12 Gb resp. ).

In planning the install queries I have surround can Gentoo be installed on the 5th logical partition ( 12 Gb ) and can Grub/LILO be installed into a logical partition so that BootMagic can control which OS is booted?.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: