View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reynolds531
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: gvim context menu [solved] Reply with quote

When I call up the context menu in gvim by using the right button on my touchpad, I have to keep the button pressed or the menu disappears. Anyone know the cause? Maybe there's some synaptics setting I need to change?

Last edited by reynolds531 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
zoran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should make more use of the extended online help vim provides. In this case read

Code:
:help mousemodel

HTH
reynolds531
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoran wrote:
You should make more use of the extended online help vim provides. In this case read

Code:
:help mousemodel

HTH

mousemodel toggles between extend/popup, but doesn't effect the persistence of the popups (unless I'm missing something). In most programs, after right-clicking I can lift my finger from the button and the popup menu stays put. In gvim, the popup disappears when I lift my finger. (Perhaps you should read my question before answering.)

For all I know this is the way gvim works. There's a command called "popup," but I don't see any options related to persistence and in any event the manual says it's deprecated.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering about that, I have been trying to giv vim a real chance and that is one of the things that is really pissing me off about that program. I would also like to know if there is a way to hide those god awful ~ symbols that appear every other blank line in vi and gvim?

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Cocker68
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
I would also like to know if there is a way to hide those god awful ~ symbols that appear every other blank line in vi and gvim?
They don't appear on every other blank line.
They appear on lines, which are displayed on the screen, but don't belong to the text anymore, because they are after EOF.

- Cocker :wq
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I finally managed to make them for all intents and purposes invisible [just do :highlight NonText guifg=bg] but what you said makes me wonder is there any real purpose to having twenty ~'s just to let me know that there is a line that will be ignored [in most cases at least.] by what ever program is going to use the file that I am editing?

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Cocker68
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Shadow Skill: I'm afraid I don't get Your question right.

See it like this: vi started in a terminal window 30 lines in height with a text file containing 10 lines shows You (of course) those 10 lines and below one ~ sign for each line, which doesn't belong to the text anymore. This shows You exactly, where the actual text file ends.
With nano for example You cannot see at a glance where the file ends unless You walk with the cursor to the end until You cannot walk any further.

I cannot understand in exact which way those ~ marks can annoy You?!
Why don't You want this additional information?

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am saying that I don't want to see
Code:
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
there should just be one tild underneath the last line any more than that is just pointless and quite frankly I find it distracting. [I was finally able to put my finger on why the tilds pissed me off when I woke up this morning. :)] What I would prefer if I can't have just one tild symbol is a way to bind a key to :highlight Nontext guifg=bg/fg so if I need to see where the end of a file is in a terminal I can see it and then make the symbol go away while I get back to what it was I was doing. Soon as I figure out how to bindkeys I will do just that other than this and the rightclick popup menu annoyance vim and gvim seem like what I need/want.

Cocker68
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
What I would prefer if I can't have just one tild symbol is a way to bind a key to :highlight Nontext guifg=bg/fg

This is easy - put into Your ~/.vimrc:
Code:
map <F8> :highlight NonText guifg=fg<CR>
map <S-F8> :highlight NonText guifg=bg<CR>
so that You now may toggle those annoying :-) tilde signs with F8 and Shift-F8.

I hope now You'll sleep better...

Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot man this really helps, vim is pretty sweet actually I wish I had given it a real chance alot sooner.

zoran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reynolds531 wrote:
mousemodel toggles between extend/popup, but doesn't effect the persistence of the popups (unless I'm missing something). In most programs, after right-clicking I can lift my finger from the button and the popup menu stays put. In gvim, the popup disappears when I lift my finger. (Perhaps you should read my question before answering.)

You are right here. I don't really use a mouse in (g)vim. I just skimmed through the help file, found the option, read "popup" and hit reply. Sorry for the noise.

reynolds531 wrote:
For all I know this is the way gvim works. There's a command called "popup," but I don't see any options related to persistence and in any event the manual says it's deprecated.

After a more thorough inspection I drew the same conclusion as you. Thats just the way it works under Unix. This is stated in :he usr_42.txt (last paragraph). A possibility to emulate something similar could be :tearoff. But I couldn't test it because my gvim didn't support it. Maybe yours does.
reynolds531
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoran wrote:
You are right here. I don't really use a mouse in (g)vim. I just skimmed through the help file, found the option, read "popup" and hit reply. Sorry for the noise.

No problem. Sorry if I got testy in my reply.

reynolds531 wrote:

After a more thorough inspection I drew the same conclusion as you. Thats just the way it works under Unix. This is stated in :he usr_42.txt (last paragraph). A possibility to emulate something similar could be :tearoff. But I couldn't test it because my gvim didn't support it. Maybe yours does.

I think I'll just leave it alone now that I know it's not a problem with my computer. Besides, it'll give me all the more incentive to learn the keyboard commands.

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: