View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchm0521
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: USE Variables Reply with quote

I asked this in another post, but perhaps its best to not change the subject in the Gnome 2.12 and start a new thread. What I am wondering is what exactly are the USE flags good for. I've read the documentation for it from the Gentoo Handbook, but is it honestly a matter of if I don't put X as a use flag, I can never use X windows? I am wondering what I need as my use flags I want to run Gnome and KDE as well. should I use alsa? here is what I have so far

USE="x86 X kde gnome gtk gtk2 qt samba -arts alsa"

What else do I need? If I don't add things like truetype, can I never use my Microsoft fonts on my Linux partition?

I'm just a little confused as to how exactly they work. And what I need.

Thanks,
Mitch
tom56
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, x86 isn't a use flag.

The easiest way to choose use flags is to always run emerges as -pv first (man emerge if you don't know what I mean) then lookup each flag you don't recognise. Then, if you are unhappy with any of the defaults (as in whether they are + or -), change them in your make.conf or your package.use. Eventually, through that method you'll build up quite a hefty list, for example here is my make.conf...
Code:

USE="mono glitz cairo dbus howl cups nsplugin a52 vcd theora mozsvg fbcons win32codecs xscreensaver firefox aac mjpeg ffmpeg svg network samba ofx nvidia gnomedb real encode directfb javascript -bootsplash gensplash mmx gnome gtk gtk2 hal eds oss alsa guile gtkhtml evo -kde -qt -arts dvd dvdread v4l v4l2 dvb cdr xvid divx4linux usb moznomail moznocompose tiff doc xine gimpprint ppds mp3 oggvorbis cdparanoia gimp"

It may be a good idea to trim that from time to time, though. I never have done, and I can't remember what half of those are for.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need to set USE flag 'foo' to emerge package 'foo', in fact most (all?) packages which have a corresponding USE flag set that flag automatically when you emerge the package, for example emerging xorg-x11 sets 'X'.

When you have a USE flag set it indicates to software which you subsequently install (or reinstall) what features to enable and which to disable. Thus if there is optional support fo a feature with a corresponding USE flag the package will either enable that support or not depending upon how you have that USE flag set.

For a quick summary of what each USE flag governs have a look at: /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc.
You already know about the section of the Handbook:
You can set USE flags for specific packages using /etc/portage/package.use, this is covered in the portage man page.
tost
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always take a look on the output of emerge -pv and then choose the use-flags

http://gentoo-portage.com has a few explanations of some flags ..

If the use-flags are often used, then i wrote them into make.conf .
If not i add an entry in package.use

All in all my make.conf contains this entries:

Code:
USE="alsa arts cups dvd dvdr dvdread nptl opengl sse mmx 3dnow 3dnowext -perl -python -ipv6 -mysql -static -java -static -spell -eds -fortran -berkdb -xml2 -vorbis -oss -gnome -oggvorbis -mikmod -mad -gdbm"

Some more specifiy ones are written down in package.use
(a short extract)

Code:
net-www/apache -ssl apache2 mpm-prefork
media-gfx/imagemagick -mpeg -lcms
dev-lang/python doc # I need lots of documentations for Python, because I learn this language at the moment
x11-libs/qt immqt-bc # this solves a bug in skype

tost
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: