Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Xeon (nocona) upgrade from x86 to x86_64?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Xeon (nocona) upgrade from x86 to x86_64? Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first time installing Gentoo onto a 64-bit CPU. The machine contains dual Xeon (nocona) however I was using the x86 livecd to boot and install. So what I have is a 32-bit system installed and running. It would be good if I can "upgrade" the system to 64-bit without using the livecd again (b'cos the server does not have CD-ROM once put onto the rack, and it's remote).

I've searched the forum and tried to cross compile a 64-bit kernel successfully (and able to boot!). So now I have a 64-bit kernal with everything else 32-bit. The question is, what's the next step?

1) Should I bootstrap the system? (I tried but end up something wrong when executing the bootstrap.sh)
2) Should I make a directory, chroot to it and pretend I'm install a fresh machine. Then once the system installation completed I copy all the file back to the root?
3) Do a bootstrap using the cross compiler? (This is something I do not know how to do, never done any cross-compiling)

Can anyone give me some instructions/advises on this?
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences in baselayout/stage are quite big. AFAIK there is not a chance getting a working system by just compiling everything 64bit. You wont have multilib, ...

You can copy your hand edited configuration files in /etc and your /home. But I dont think you can avoid a reinstall.
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your only safe bet is to unpack a fresh x86_64 tarball into a new partition, chroot and do it from there. & that might well not work unless you can get hold of a 64 bit chroot binary or cross compile one.

Don't even think of 'upgrading' the x86 system on the fly. It'll get very, very messy...

Actually, you might be best off unpacking a amd64 stage 3 to a new partition, then booting to that as you've already got a working x86_64 kernel, to avoid the chroot messiness. If you can afford some downtime that is.
rpodgorny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Any news? Reply with quote

...so, some time has passed. Isn't there now a simple way of moving live x86 system to amd64 (without reinstall)? Thanks for any reply...
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Any news? Reply with quote

rpodgorny wrote:
...so, some time has passed. Isn't there now a simple way of moving live x86 system to amd64 (without reinstall)? Thanks for any reply...

Some time being less than a month.. No, there isn't.
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps any there's also no easy way to move a hard drive with an x86 install into a ppc64, or a system from a G3 mac to a sparc...

Unfortunately when you ask for advice, you sometimes get an answer you don't want to hear. That doesn't mean there's a problem with the advice ;) You're moving between architectures, it's about the biggest change possible...
rpodgorny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks for reply. I really didn't want to hear this :-) I just thought amd64 was meant to be a x86 extension, so it's backward compatible, just like adding mmx or sse instruction set...
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpodgorny wrote:
Yeah, thanks for reply. I really didn't want to hear this :-) I just thought amd64 was meant to be a x86 extension, so it's backward compatible, just like adding mmx or sse instruction set...

It IS backwards compatible. It's not forwards compatible. You cannot use an x86 system to compile an x86-64 system.
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well quite, it'll happily run your x86 install so that's backward compatibility
rpodgorny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I'm dumb but I still don't get it, then.

Why can't I boot my old x86 system on new x86_64 cpu (I did it already), build a 64bit cross-compiler, then emerge world with that new compiler and finally reboot to fully 64bit environment?
loftwyr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because your system has 32 bit libraries. At some point you'l need to link to 64bit libraries before they've been compiled and your system suddenly falls down and will will need a re-install.

currently your libraries are in lib32 and not lib64 and simply moving them will break everything.

Saves time to just re-install.
rpodgorny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I've chosen the reinstall way but it sux :-( Still have to wait for all my favourite apps to compile :-(
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year ago, I've recompiled RR4 (32bit) to RR64 (64bit).
Yes it's possible but it's very hard.
You need a working 64bit Gentoo and the target system mounted somewhere.
Then, from the working 64bit gentoo you can do something like:

ROOT=/path/to/target/system emerge -e system

...and that's only the beginning, then you have to compile step by step every package in the correct order.
In fact, before doing the step above, chroot into the target system (that needs to be mounted...) and save the output of "emerge -ep world" to a file.

RR64 Linux was born in this way ;) And now it works great.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: