rt2500 automatically configuration during installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xan2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: rt2500 automatically configuration during installation Reply with quote

Hi,

I downloaded gentoo network install 2006.1. I have a rt2500 pci card in my box connected via DHCP with a router. I have eth0 but without possibility of put a cable (physically, I'm too far ....). So my only possible connection to internet is via rt2500. I thinked that it were detected in the hardward detection process, but it isn't.
So:

1) Is it a bug?. I think it's. A wireless modules should be present in kernel by default
2) How can I do for it works?

Thank you very much,
Xan.
TruG33K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty kernel support for rt2x00 cards is still very buggy. You'd be much better off having a copy of your windows xp drivers for the wireless card handy, either on CD to stick in a second CD drive, on a USB key of some sort, on a floppy if you have a floppy drive (I think they'd fit on a floppy), or on the hard drive already (after you format it for linux that is). Then what you would do is use ndiswrapper, which is only on a Universal CD I think, and do your install from that.

I have a Linksys wireless card myself in my desktop and that's how I solved doing a networked install over wireless. If all else fails and that doesn't work, you'll probably just have to do a networkless install from the Universal CD, put your windows drivers on the hard drive, then try ndiswrapper.

Sorry to say but that's the only solid option out here. Let us know if you are still having problems.
Judge584
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't agree with TruG33k.

Linux support for rt2500 now work verry well, but i suggest that you use cvs tarball instead of portage.

Simply download this: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/rt2400/rt2500-1.1.0-b3.tar.gz?download

uncompress the rt2500 directory where you want, and go into it.
You will see two subdirectorys: "Module" & "Utilitys"

1°)go into "Module", and do 'make', then 'make install' -->now your rt2500 module is ready and installed -->dont forget to 'modprobe rt2500'

2°)go into "Utilitys", and do 'qmake -o Makefile raconfig2500.pro', then 'make' -->now you have in the "Utilitys" directory a new prog: "RaConfig2500"

3°)Launch RaConfig2500 to configure your network: it's the same configuration utility that is used under windows.

I never had any problems with theses drivers, it just work like a charm! (tested on many gentoo workstations)

PS: before doing this, please verify that your kernel is ready: make sure that the option " Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless Extensions" is enabled!

It's in : 'Device Driver'-> 'Network Device Support'-> 'Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)'-> Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless Extensions

all the others options under 'Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)' must be disabled.

Hope this help!

And please, don't put anything from Windows in your Gentoo unless you're sure that there's no other way!
I have read that using a windows driver via ndiswrapper can cause serious security hole in your system: does someone can confirm this?
TruG33K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the support is good, your solution is no good for getting the wireless card to work during an installation. He doesn't have the option of compiling a new version of the module under the install environment. So he still needs to either make sure he's using an up to date Universal CD that might have working rt2500 support, or have his windows xp drivers handy to use with ndiswrapper for at least the install
om1d3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you might be intrested in this link.
xan2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TruG33K wrote:
Even if the support is good, your solution is no good for getting the wireless card to work during an installation. He doesn't have the option of compiling a new version of the module under the install environment. So he still needs to either make sure he's using an up to date Universal CD that might have working rt2500 support, or have his windows xp drivers handy to use with ndiswrapper for at least the install

TruG33k, so Have I need Universal CD?. Can't I do _nothing_ with install CD? Please, answer to that question.
If it's, I prefer use rt2500 drivers rather than ndiswrapper. I successfully put in in Ubuntu, so in gentoo should be work.

Greetings,
Xan.
TruG33K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you can wire in a connection from say another nearby computer that has internet access, the Minimal CD is not going to be of any use to you.

I can't say anything about rt2500 support in the Universal CD because I've never used it other than in a fully installed system.

As far as ndiswrapper, I'm fairly certain that it is included on the Universal CD and all you would need is your windows xp drivers which you should have somewhere.

Either way I'd get yourself a copy of the appropriate Universal CD and give that a shot, worst case scenario is that you use the Universal for a networkless install, or try a different LiveCD distro that supports your card out of the box (I know the Ubuntu LiveCD does, at least for my rt2500 based card)
xan2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TruG33K wrote:
Unless you can wire in a connection from say another nearby computer that has internet access, the Minimal CD is not going to be of any use to you.

I can't say anything about rt2500 support in the Universal CD because I've never used it other than in a fully installed system.

As far as ndiswrapper, I'm fairly certain that it is included on the Universal CD and all you would need is your windows xp drivers which you should have somewhere.

Either way I'd get yourself a copy of the appropriate Universal CD and give that a shot, worst case scenario is that you use the Universal for a networkless install, or try a different LiveCD distro that supports your card out of the box (I know the Ubuntu LiveCD does, at least for my rt2500 based card)

Well, thank you very much with your answers. I will try it.,,,

Xan.
didumos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to back up what TruG33K suggested, I used the Ubuntu (5.10) LiveCD to install Gentoo with this wireless adapter and it worked very well. Once the LiveCD was loaded I took the following steps to bring the interface up:

Code:
>sudo -s
>nano -w /etc/network/interfaces
    iface ra0 inet dhcp
        pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
        pre-up ifconfig ra0 down
        pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
        pre-up ifconfig ra0 down
        pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid "essid_here"
        pre-up iwconfig ra0 mode Managed
        pre-up iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
        pre-up iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
        pre-up iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="key_here"
        pre-up ifconfig ra0 up
>ifconfig ra0 up
>ifdown ra0 && ifup ra0

Obtained from the Ubuntu Wiki.

I then followed the instructions for installing from Knoppix in the Alternative Installation HOWTO. The single problem I had with this method was installing grub to the MBR just before the reboot; it just hung and left me unable to unmount some filesystems. The simple way around this was to boot the minimal Gentoo CD (install-x86-minimal-2006.0.iso) and install grub from there.

This certainly seems like the easiest method anyway for this particular wireless adapter especially if that is the only network interface you have installed.
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the rt2500 kernel module would have been nice to have on the 2006 installcd. I now have to haul my PC into another room just to plug in the cable so I am able to emerge rt2500 !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: