View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0rbi666
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this overlay already has this patches, so no update needed :)
smithjd15
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will we see a 3.3.6-r1 in this overlay?

I haven't checked what's changed in the portage tree; I'm looking for a lazy easy fix. 8)
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using the patches that are in the in tree version but they wouldn't apply. I didn't look at the source but i'm guessing they're already included in the qt-copy src. I just masked -r1 here.
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded a updated overlay based on 3.3.6-r1. It's mainly an ebuild sync as all the new patches are already included in qt-copy.
abhay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got it from Planet KDE. It looks like the main developer of FreeType has released a few patches
http://turnerdavid.neuf.fr/freetype/patches/font-patches.html

One of these patches is related to fontconfig. Could it be included in your overlay? I have tried it in your overlay with fontconfig-2.3.95 ebuild. It patches, compiles and install fine but I don't know whether it actually gives the 25% performance increase or not.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clarification, with the current kde.eclass in portage, the modifications mentioned aren't needed anymore.

Seems the eclass checks for gcc 4.1 and if found unsets kde_cv_prog_cxx_fvisibility_hidden and adds use_enable kdehiddenvisibility gcc-hidden-visibility to myconf.
(Assuming USE flag kdehiddenvisibility is set.)

I didn't see any mention about this in the thread and this might be confusing for someone trying this out.
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I changed the first post to reflect the current situation and updated my qt and fontconfig overlays.
7seven7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found this in another post:

Flameeyes wrote:
Oh a note that might be interesting to know, seeing that there is people using modified eclasses that might come out as bugs for me ;)

The kdenewldflags thing is totally pointless. --enable-new-dtags on Gentoo is a no-op, as it's _forcefully_ enabled by our binutils. --as-needed can (and *should*) be passed through LDFLAGS (see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml ).

It's for both your and my sake that I ask you all to limit the usage of modified eclasses, especially for this trivial thing that really does not do much magic right now :)

You can find it in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3354637.html#3354637

It also seems that the kde.eclass is responsible for some errors when building kdelibs-3.5.3

Is this meaning that we should stop using the kde.eclass that is provided in this forum, or it just need to be updated?
abhay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7seven7 wrote:
It also seems that the kde.eclass is responsible for some errors when building kdelibs-3.5.3

Is this meaning that we should stop using the kde.eclass that is provided in this forum, or it just need to be updated?

It means that you should remove the eclass from your overlay. Gentoo Developers have already done good job of making a kde.eclass with -fvisibility=hidden support so the eclass you got from forum is not needed.
7seven7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When qt is built with the risky flag, kompare fails to build:

Code:
i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -O2 -march=pentium4 -fweb -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -freorder-blocks-and-partition -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,-Bdirect -Wl,-hashvals -Wl,-zdynsort -Wl,--as-needed -o libkomparepart.la -rpath /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3 -avoid-version -module -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -R /usr/kde/3.5/lib -R /usr/kde/3.5/lib -R /usr/qt/3/lib -R /usr/lib -L/usr/kde/3.5/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/lib kompare_part.lo kompareconnectwidget.lo komparesplitter.lo komparelistview.lo kompareprefdlg.lo komparesaveoptionswidget.lo komparesaveoptionsbase.lo kompare_qsplitter.moc.lo -lkparts -lkio ../libdialogpages/libdialogpages.la ../libdiff2/libdiff2.la ../interfaces/libkompareinterface.la
.libs/kompareconnectwidget.o: In function `KompareConnectWidgetFrame::mousePressEvent(QMouseEvent*)':
kompareconnectwidget.cpp:(.text+0x8bf): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::mousePressEvent(QMouseEvent*)'
.libs/kompareconnectwidget.o: In function `KompareConnectWidgetFrame::KompareConnectWidgetFrame(KompareListView*, KompareListView*, ViewSettings*, KompareSplitter*, char const*)':
kompareconnectwidget.cpp:(.text+0xb7a): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::QSplitterHandle(Qt::Orientation, QSplitter*, char const*)'
.libs/kompareconnectwidget.o: In function `KompareConnectWidgetFrame::KompareConnectWidgetFrame(KompareListView*, KompareListView*, ViewSettings*, KompareSplitter*, char const*)':
kompareconnectwidget.cpp:(.text+0xdda): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::QSplitterHandle(Qt::Orientation, QSplitter*, char const*)'
.libs/komparesplitter.o: In function `KompareSplitter::doMove(bool, int, int, int, bool, int*, int*)':
komparesplitter.cpp:(.text+0x1d96): undefined reference to `QSplitterLayoutStruct::getSizer(Qt::Orientation)'
.libs/kompare_qsplitter.moc.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV15QSplitterHandle[vtable for QSplitterHandle]+0xf0): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::sizeHint() const'
.libs/kompare_qsplitter.moc.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV15QSplitterHandle[vtable for QSplitterHandle]+0x11c): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::mousePressEvent(QMouseEvent*)'
.libs/kompare_qsplitter.moc.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV15QSplitterHandle[vtable for QSplitterHandle]+0x120): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::mouseReleaseEvent(QMouseEvent*)'
.libs/kompare_qsplitter.moc.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV15QSplitterHandle[vtable for QSplitterHandle]+0x128): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::mouseMoveEvent(QMouseEvent*)'
.libs/kompare_qsplitter.moc.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV15QSplitterHandle[vtable for QSplitterHandle]+0x148): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::paintEvent(QPaintEvent*)'

Is there any solution for this?
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7seven7 wrote:

Code:
i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -O2 -march=pentium4 -fweb -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -freorder-blocks-and-partition -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,-Bdirect -Wl,-hashvals -Wl,-zdynsort -Wl,--as-needed -o libkomparepart.la -rpath /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3 -avoid-version -module -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined -R /usr/kde/3.5/lib -R /usr/kde/3.5/lib -R /usr/qt/3/lib -R /usr/lib -L/usr/kde/3.5/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/lib kompare_part.lo kompareconnectwidget.lo komparesplitter.lo komparelistview.lo kompareprefdlg.lo komparesaveoptionswidget.lo komparesaveoptionsbase.lo kompare_qsplitter.moc.lo -lkparts -lkio ../libdialogpages/libdialogpages.la ../libdiff2/libdiff2.la ../interfaces/libkompareinterface.la
.libs/kompareconnectwidget.o: In function `KompareConnectWidgetFrame::mousePressEvent(QMouseEvent*)':
kompareconnectwidget.cpp:(.text+0x8bf): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::mousePressEvent(QMouseEvent*)'
kompareconnectwidget.cpp:(.text+0xb7a): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::QSplitterHandle(Qt::Orientation, QSplitter*, char const*)'
kompareconnectwidget.cpp:(.text+0xdda): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::QSplitterHandle(Qt::Orientation, QSplitter*, char const*)'
.libs/komparesplitter.o: In function `KompareSplitter::doMove(bool, int, int, int, bool, int*, int*)':
komparesplitter.cpp:(.text+0x1d96): undefined reference to `QSplitterLayoutStruct::getSizer(Qt::Orientation)'
.libs/kompare_qsplitter.moc.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV15QSplitterHandle[vtable for QSplitterHandle]+0xf0): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::sizeHint() const'
.libs/kompare_qsplitter.moc.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV15QSplitterHandle[vtable for QSplitterHandle]+0x11c): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::mousePressEvent(QMouseEvent*)'
.libs/kompare_qsplitter.moc.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV15QSplitterHandle[vtable for QSplitterHandle]+0x120): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::mouseReleaseEvent(QMouseEvent*)'
.libs/kompare_qsplitter.moc.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV15QSplitterHandle[vtable for QSplitterHandle]+0x128): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::mouseMoveEvent(QMouseEvent*)'
.libs/kompare_qsplitter.moc.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV15QSplitterHandle[vtable for QSplitterHandle]+0x148): undefined reference to `QSplitterHandle::paintEvent(QPaintEvent*)'

Try building with more conservative cflags/ldflags
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
7seven7 wrote:

Code:

Try building with more conservative cflags/ldflags

Try building qt without the risky. It's not needed to enable the hidden visibility in the rest of KDE. At least, that's what I had to do a while back when I experienced compile problems with Qt apps and using risky.
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have qt-copy and new version of fontconfig installed.
KDE works fine, but Firefox shows no font antialiasing and some
text in firefox and other gtk programs disappear.

Any ideas?
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7seven7 wrote:
I have found this in another post:

Flameeyes wrote:
Oh a note that might be interesting to know, seeing that there is people using modified eclasses that might come out as bugs for me ;)

The kdenewldflags thing is totally pointless. --enable-new-dtags on Gentoo is a no-op, as it's _forcefully_ enabled by our binutils. --as-needed can (and *should*) be passed through LDFLAGS (see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml ).

It's for both your and my sake that I ask you all to limit the usage of modified eclasses, especially for this trivial thing that really does not do much magic right now :)

You can find it in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3354637.html#3354637

I don't agree with him. Currently it's better to just compile KDE with --enable-new-ldflags and not mess with LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" if you want a stable system. There are reasons why you shouldn't stick --as-needed in your LDFLAGS. Most important is that it still breaks stuff, it's unsupported so bugs get closed if you don't have a solution (well --enable-new-ldfags is unsupported in gentoo too but you can still open bug reports about it in the KDE bugzilla) and portage doesn't support package.ldflags. And the result from compiling KDE with LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" and --enable-new-ldflags is exactly the same. Besides --enable-new-ldflags for KDE is heavily tested (every binary distro ships with it) while compiling everything with -Wl,--as-needed is not. So unless the gentoo devs says that LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" now is officialy supported I suggest the patched kde.eclass instead.
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nxsty wrote:
There are reasons why you shouldn't stick --as-needed in your LDFLAGS. Most important is that it still breaks stuff, it's unsupported so bugs get closed if you don't have a solution (well --enable-new-ldfags is unsupported in gentoo too but you can still open bug reports about it in the KDE bugzilla) and portage doesn't support package.ldflags. And the result from compiling KDE with LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" and --enable-new-ldflags is exactly the same. Besides --enable-new-ldflags for KDE is heavily tested (every binary distro ships with it) while compiling everything with -Wl,--as-needed is not. So unless the gentoo devs says that LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" now is officialy supported I suggest the patched kde.eclass instead.
--as-needed is officially supported, official tracker bug is here. And a note my system is more stable with --as-needed then without and i have been using it for over a year now.

Ow and almost forgot, the KDE team asked for --as-needed so its a bit strange they would not use it.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infirit wrote:
--as-needed is officially supported, official tracker bug is here. And a note my system is more stable with --as-needed then without and i have been using it for over a year now.

Ow and almost forgot, the KDE team asked for --as-needed so its a bit strange they would not use it.

Read the link in the bug page you posted, it isn't officially supported by Gentoo, only KDE is tested extensively. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml

First Paragraph wrote:
Note: This guide is related to an experimental feature or function that may or may not work on your system, packages, or architecture. The information stated here is presented only for informative purposes, and is not officially supported. Working patches to fix packages to work with this feature are usually welcome if they don't create more problems for current users. In any case, please don't report problems caused by the steps explained in this guide on bugzilla.

Just because there is a bug report to list packages that don't work with it doesn't mean its officially supported.
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
Read the link in the bug page you posted, it isn't officially supported. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml

The official bug tracker has bugs related to --as-needed, gentoo devs fixing them and none of them are mark as invalid..... So whats is not supported about them?
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infirit wrote:
Headrush wrote:
Read the link in the bug page you posted, it isn't officially supported. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml

The official bug tracker has bugs related to --as-needed, gentoo devs fixing them and none of them are mark as invalid..... So whats is not supported about them?

You can play with the meaning of supported if you want, but what we know the intention of the statement: not supported.

Using that logic anything that any developer decides to work on means its supported? I don't think so.
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
You can play with the meaning of supported if you want, but what we know the intention of the statement: not supported.
Who is we, developers users? If these bugs get fixed and make it into the stable tree and when the --as-needed fix is the only reason for a bump in the version then i and many other people will take it as supported.
Headrush wrote:
Using that logic anything that any developer decides to work on means its supported? I don't think so.
If the devs put the things they work on in the official stable tree and use the official bug tracker i will consider them supported. If they are not supported it should not be in portage or bugzilla.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently removed the modified kde.eclass and built KDE 3.5.3. I do not see --as-needed in the build output anymore (I'm sure it was there before). Note, I never explicitly added -Wl,--as-needed to my LDFLAGS, I simply enabled the "kdenewldflags" when it was in the modified eclass (now removed).

So, to experiment, I added the following to my /etc/portage/bashrc file:

Code:

if [ "$CATEGORY" == "kde-base" ] ; then
    export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,-Bdirect -Wl,-hashvals -Wl,-zdynsort -Wl,--as-needed"
fi

Note, my original LDFLAGS from /etc/make.conf are:

Code:

LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,-Bdirect -Wl,-hashvals -Wl,-zdynsort"

Make sure you adjust the export line above to match your LDFLAGS from /etc/make.conf, simply addending the "-Wl,--as-needed" flag to the end.

I tried the following export line, but it produced weird results and added "-Wl,--as-needed" multiple times (I guess the bashrc file is read/sourced multiple times), so don't do it this way:

Code:

export LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -Wl,--as-needed"

Anyway, this will allow you to have --as-needed support for all KDE packages belonging to CATEGORY kde-base, without having to enable it for your entire system. It will allow you to experiment with this flag under KDE which has been much more tested using it.

Hope this helps.

PS: I haven't recompiled KDE yet, will do that later today. If I find any problems, I'll post back. If anyone see's a problem with this approach, please feel free to let me know. If there's a better way, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flameeyes explains why --enable-new-ldflags is stupid.
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roderick wrote:
I recently removed the modified kde.eclass and built KDE 3.5.3. I do not see --as-needed in the build output anymore (I'm sure it was there before). Note, I never explicitly added -Wl,--as-needed to my LDFLAGS, I simply enabled the "kdenewldflags" when it was in the modified eclass (now removed).

see this post how you can get per package ld/cflags.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infirit wrote:
roderick wrote:

see this post how you can get per package ld/cflags.

Per package is fine. However, with KDE's 300+ packages, my way is short and clean. One small section in the portage bashrc file which is now oficially supported in portage 2.1.
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infirit wrote:
flameeyes explains why --enable-new-ldflags is stupid.

Well LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" is the future. It might even be turned on by default in ld some day. Especially if more distros than gentoo start supporting it. But I still don't agree with him. He's basically saying that KDE's --enble-new-ldflags is bad because:

1. Portage doesn't know about it and can't filter it.
Modifying kde.eclass only affects KDE packages where it's supported by upstream. And most binary distros turn it on by default so it's very well tested. Why would you want to filter it?

2. The other flag it enables, --enable-new-dtags, is useless for performance and on by default.
Sure, but --as-needed is the interesting flag here.

If you want a stable system it's still better to pass --enable-new-ldflags in kde.eclass rather than using LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed". A lot of LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" problems have been fixed in unstable but there is still problems and --enable-new-ldflags will work perfectly on a system using only stable packages.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know why packages got fixed?

Because people tried the flag, put it in their make.conf and submitted bug reports. My entire system is built with it except for a few packages I filter with packages.ldflags

I know that many people want stability in their systems. I always keep one stable computer in my house. However, I like to experiment on other computers and push boundaries to see what breaks so that we might move forward, fix what is broken, and improve code/performance in the long run.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: