View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Wacky font issue/behaviour Reply with quote

Ok, I have two gentoo builds:

Build 1:
2006.0 AMD64 build, recompiled for noncona. Xorg 7.0, 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 kernel, ATI 8.26.18-r1 fglrx module, fonts installed as per gentoo wiki, however, no local.conf or any other setting changes (well, there is a local.conf by default, but it is all commented out). This is built on a Dell GX620 with Radeon x600 video card (i dont use the onboard).

FONTS: Look great. Everything is nice and readable.
DISPLAY: 24 bit 1280x1024 on Dell 19" Ultrasharp flatpanel.
(Yes, this is my work box).

Build 2:
2006.0 i686 build, recompiled for pentium4. Xorg 7.0, 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 kernel, ATI 8.26.18-r1 fglrx, fonts installed as per gentoo wiki. There was no local.conf, period, and I have not added one to /etc/fonts. This is built on my own hardware as below:

ASUS P4S800DE deluxe mainboard
Socket 478 3.06 HT P4 with 533 FSB
2x512MB Crucial Ram, DDR 400 (dual channel set up on mobo).
Radeon 9800 XT video with 128MB video ram

DISPLAY: A really old 17" IBM CRT with 15.9" viewable running 24 bit color with 1024x768 res. Images look awesome, as do video.
FONTS: Look like *&^%. I can't even read half the things on this site (too blurry)! My xorg.conf was copied from build1, only change was the monitor specs!

I have done my homework and I've learned the following:

1) local.conf can cause this. Well, my x86 does not have this file (was built about a week ago) and my x86_64 does, but is all comments (built in May).
2) A local fonts.conf can do this. Neither box has this.
3) gdm.conf! Well, the x86_64 started with an older version of gdm, and was recently upgraded to 2.14.9. The x86 box started in 2.14.9 and has no gdm.conf that I can find!

I am looking here:

Code:
$ ls -l /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23347 2006-07-20 19:07 /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

EDIT:
I should mention this is not limmitted to firefox. My gkrellm fonts suck at home as well, and my settings are identical between the boxes. My eterms are the only thing decently readable, followed by gkrellm.

I also made sure that my firefox settings were the same in terms of font choice, size, and that little checkbox was well as the encoding (I use Western-Windows on both), and all is the same.

There is one thing different about my x86/x86_64 programatically (they actually use identical keword, make.conf USE, and package.use files), and that is I hacked some setting in my original install of 64bit firefix as per the font wiki. I never did this again, in spite of upgrades to 1.5.04, and the install of the 32 bit binary as well, so I dont know if it is still in effect. I will try it when I get home to my x86 build to see if it resolves it.

So, short of what I just mentioned, I am desperate for ideas on this. I would also like to know why one box has local.conf and gdm.conf and my x86 does not.

Also, my work build used to run xorg 6.8, and 'migrated' whereas my x86 started on modular x.
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firefox thing did not resolve... Any ideas?
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: