View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: No Desktop Reply with quote

Newie just finished installing Gentoo. Boots OK to login and can login and move around FS.
But, no desktop seen just a command line prompt.
Please Help

donde
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. Now you need to emerge a Window Manager of your choice. I imagine you'll want an all-in-one solution such as KDE or Gnome
Code:
# emerge xorg-x11 KDE
obviously replace KDE with Gnome if you want Gnome. But this is all said in the install guide... sou you might want to go read on that a bit more.
donde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: How do I do it? Reply with quote

Do I put in Live CD and get chroot and then do the emerge? I just tried the command from login (no liveCD) and got back "There are no e-builds to satisfy xorg-x11", so I guess we never got any from portage. So, in order to get them....??? Do I have to re-complle again?
Please give me some steps to follow.

Thanks...donde
Metroidfan_Prime
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, no. You just want to do
Code:
# emerge x11 gnome

not xorg-x11

Sorry if that isn't right, but that's how it is for me.
HellFace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just

emerge gnome

or

emerge kde

X11 will automatically be emerged so no need to emerge x11 or xorg-x11
donde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Did emerge x11 gnome Reply with quote

Did emerge x11 gnome already and it's going on forever. I hear it might go on for day or two. I just want gnome. How is X11 connected? As you can see, very much a newbie. Could I have saved time and space doing just what you mentioned? After, it all completes, do you have any tips to get to work? I saw a section in gentoo wikipedia on how to enable gnome and I guess this should work. A friend has been working on his install of Gentoo and we both did reboot about the same minute. We've been talking over Skype. And he saw the exact same NO DESKTOP. We wondered why this was not apparent in the handbook. We did get splash screen, and login, but that's it. Couldn't believe we would not get more than that with all the downloading of stage3 and portage. But, what do we know !

Thanks, donde
HellFace
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Did emerge x11 gnome Reply with quote

donde wrote:
Did emerge x11 gnome already and it's going on forever. I hear it might go on for day or two. I just want gnome. How is X11 connected? As you can see, very much a newbie. Could I have saved time and space doing just what you mentioned? After, it all completes, do you have any tips to get to work? I saw a section in gentoo wikipedia on how to enable gnome and I guess this should work. A friend has been working on his install of Gentoo and we both did reboot about the same minute. We've been talking over Skype. And he saw the exact same NO DESKTOP. We wondered why this was not apparent in the handbook. We did get splash screen, and login, but that's it. Couldn't believe we would not get more than that with all the downloading of stage3 and portage. But, what do we know !

Thanks, donde

emerge x11 gnome and emerge gnome do the same thing (for the most part. That was the only point I was making). Gnome requires X11 to run so portage will automatically install it also. So, to answer your question, no you would not have saved any time or space.

Code:
cd

echo "exec gnome-session" >> .xinitrc

startx

at the command prompt should get you to your desktop when it is done installing.

Edit : typo
donde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: OK on time and space Reply with quote

Thanks, so much.

I'll give it a go

donde
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metroidfan_Prime wrote:
Ah, no. You just want to do
Code:
# emerge x11 gnome

not xorg-x11

Sorry if that isn't right, but that's how it is for me.

True... but the nature of the original post suggests the user is new to all this. Starting with the modular X might not be the best idea. At least as far as I understand things... x11 provides only the core X, ommiting the drivers and such. I might as well be wrong on this one tho.

donde wrote:
How is X11 connected?

X11 provides a drawing layer onto which the various Window Managers draw things (the things we call GUI). Without X you basically have no "canvas" on which you could draw and thus no GUI will run without it (cept for ncurses based things... but that's not exactly what you want.).
donde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Got gnome finally, and got a desktop. Now, I find out no sound. I'll work on it.

Thanks to all who helped

donde
FcukThisGame
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest the Gentoo Linux ALSA Guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml)

Please mark with [solved] if we've answered all of your questions.

DESKTOP:
i7-3770K|8800GTS-512|32GB|1x256GB SSD|4x1TB|HD/BDROM|1920x1200+1680x1050
Win8 Pro w/ Hyper-V|Server 2012 VM|Ubuntu VM|Gentoo VM

TABLET: Samsung Ativ 700t
i5-3317U|4GB|128GB SSD|1920x1080 Touch
Win8
donde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Alsa Reply with quote

Going there

Thanks...donde
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: