View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xsak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: wifi-radar vs. python Reply with quote

Hello!

Since I upgraded python, I cannot start wifi-radar ( http://www.bitbuilder.com/wifi_radar/ <- here's an ebuild).

It says the following if I run it from xterm:
Code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/wifi-radar", line 1795, in ?
    import gtk, gobject
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 37, in ?
    from _gtk import *
RuntimeError: could not open display

I tried to run /usr/sbin/python-updater , re-emerged python, pygtk, wifi-radar few times. No change...

What should I do? I don't know any non-kde gui program I can use to find, setup and connect to wifi networks...

Regards,
Akos
_loki_
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have guessed it's pygtk but if you remerged.. Anyway why do you need a gui for configurating wireless network? If you set up your
Code:

/etc/conf.d/wireless

and you have a chipset that supports scanning mode, you can connect to different wlans in prority witout having to do anything again. just store wep keys and ESSID names in prority and set
Code:

associate_order="any"

bringing up your wireless device it will automaticly connect to the ESSID in order.. That's by fare the nicest way to use wlan I have ever seen! Thanks to UberLord at this point ;-)
xsak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I was wrong. It was sudo (=my fault). When upgraded python, upgraded sudo as well, and after etc-update I forgot to set up sudoers correctly.
Huhh, now wifi-radar works....
BigBaaadBob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were a category of "least helpful posts", _loki_'s post would certainly qualify. Instead of answering your question he tries to convince you you shouldn't have asked!

Anyway, your sudoers config may have been bad, but re-emerging pygtk fixed the problem. I just had the same problem and that fixed it.

Cheers!
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you do to get rid of the error? WHAT did you change in your sudo config file?

Up until now I have stayed away from sudo. But wifi-radar makes it worth installing. Now I just have to learn how to use sudo. sigh...

[edit: SOLVED]
Aha. The solution is to allow the user to export variables! (found it here: Forum Link)

The trick is to make sure that the group (or user, or users, or groups) that are permitted to use wifi-radar are ALSO permitted to export variables.
Code:

Defaults:%wheel !env_reset
%wheel   ALL = /usr/sbin/wifi-radar

----------------------

<gentle_flame>
_loki_ wrote:
Anyway why do you need a gui for configurating wireless network?
This ranks right up there with "well just use vi as an editor!". Many of us choose Gentoo because it gives us the perfect platform for delivering a 100% configured solution for our USERS. Our USERS will never, ever, use the command line. Our USERS will never, ever, edit a config file.

Gentoo may be the best distro for uber-geeks, but it's also the best for creating customized solutions for our ex-Micro$oft (and paying) customers.
</gentle_flame>
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: