Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] KDE hangs on startup Dell Inspiron 9300 (Ati)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tambu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] KDE hangs on startup Dell Inspiron 9300 (Ati) Reply with quote

Hey All,

Dell Inspiron 9300 (Ati Radeon Mobility x300)

I've spent many grueling hours trying to figure out what is wrong with my configuration. The problem is that when I startup KDE as my user it loads up I see the splash screen startup and a small kmix window pops up but then KDE hangs at that point, the only thing I can do is move my mouse around. Once it's hung I can't change to console at all I have to hard reset my laptop. I managed to change to console before it locks up and I see an unending stream of these messages:

kded: kmilo DellI8xMonitor: ioctl failed in fn_status()

It print these messages continuously and I think this is why KDE hangs. Here's another weird bit when I do switch to the console it actually goes farther into KDE for some reason I can hear the KDE wave play just fine but if I do alt-F7 it instantly hangs.

Here are the steps I've taken with this problem. I originally was using KDE 3.5 out of the gentoo ebuilds, then I tried KDE 3.4.3 both versions have identical problems. I have tried the ati-drivers from ATI and those lock up my computer the instant I start up the .run application. I am currently using ati-drivers-8.21.7 drivers out of the gentoo ebuild, but I've also tried the ati-drivers-8.14.13-r3 versions both have the same messages and lockup. The default radeon driver that comes with Xorg does the exact same thing too. If I startup normal X without KDE it seems to startup just fine but if it leave it running for 5mins or so things lock up on me.

I have installed the default gentoo-sources kernel 2.6.15-r1 and I've also tried the mm-sources-2.6.16-rc1 and linux-2.6.13-rsbac (tried this for an older version of kernel. All three had the same effect my KDE would hang. I used the same config in each. I have changed up my xorg.conf several times with different drivers and configs all result in the same problems.

I've tried without luck to find help on #gentoo and I thought I would try here as my last try. I appreciate any help.

Below are my xorg.conf and .config I've reconfigured my xorg.conf repeatedly with different drivers for mouse and everything I've no idea what is causing this.

.config - ftp://members.cox.net/config
xorg.conf - ftp://members.cox.net/xorg.conf

Last edited by Tambu on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tambu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my ftp server is not cooperating here are additional links:
xorg.conf - http://pastebin.com/528763
.config - http://pastebin.com/528762
Tambu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,

I managed to solve my problems so I thought I would throw this up here for anyone having problems with inspiron 9300. I found this guys page with great instructions on getting 9300 going with gentoo / kde.

http://krosswindz.blogspot.com/2005/10/gentoo-linux-on-dell-inspiron-9300.html

I followed his instructions and used his .config (even though it was for older kernel it worked) and I used his xorg.conf

The only thing I changed as that the newer kernel doesn't have the line:
#undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI

that he talks about so you can't do this. I found another way however to get ATAPI into the libata module here:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/5836

you just add libata.atapi_enabled=1 ide1=noprobe to your kernel boot or grub.conf parameters and it will detect the cdrom as /dev/sr0.

Good Luck
Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: