Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Need a session manager (Gnome makes trouble)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weird wonko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Need a session manager (Gnome makes trouble) Reply with quote

Hi!

I am running Enlightenment as window manager, combined with Gnome. What I actually need Gnome for is session management, the ability to save the current setup and have it restart when logging in again. I know Enlightenment can restart applicatins on its own, but this does not work for all applications, and not when multiple instances are to be started. I am using 3 multiple desktops with 3 virtual desktops each, with at least 15 Eterms open. BTW, some snapshots are here:
http://www.weird.mynetcologne.de/pix/shot.png (1 M)
http://www.weird.mynetcologne.de/pix/shot_small.jpg (100 K)

So, I am running a whole desktop environment like Gnome only to save some window positions. Is there another possibility? Apart from starting all the stuff from a shell script, which I am thinking about, but this makes it really hard to save a session...

I am a bit disappointed about Gnome at the moment. Saving the session often does not work, and upon restarting I sometimes have to log out and in again to get my apps (especially Enlightenment epplets) at the correct positions. From time to time it does not start at all, giving me some nearly unreadable message about gconf and wrong permissions in /etc or something which I have to fix. I like the Gnome Panel to be hidden at the bottom, but moving the mouse there does not make it appear, I first have to move it up 1 pixel. This is annoying. I even think about moving to KDE, but I think KDE is even more bloated and probably doesn't work too well with Enlightenment. And again, I just need to start some applications.

Alex
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: