grub-install /dev/hda1; bad idea!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrummieJim
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: grub-install /dev/hda1; bad idea! Reply with quote

Hi,
In an episode of stupidity (a la rm / *), I typed grub-install /dev/hda1, instead of /dev/hda, trashing my windows partition. While this could be construed as a lucky accident, I have some data that I need on that partition. I'm thinking of using the windows install disk to fix it, then boot using the gentoo disk, and re-install grub. Does this sound technically valid, if ideologically flawed?!
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually delete the contents of /dev/hda1?

Do NOT install Windose until you have recovered your files - you'll probably end up trashing them (although, if you keep Windose installed for long they will end up trashed anyhow by a virus or a security update from Micro$oft :twisted: ).

Your easiest fix is to boot from your Gentoo LiveCD and then mount the old drive (I THINK that the liveCD supports NTFS).

Code:

mkdir /old_nt
mount /dev/hda1 /old_nt
ls /old_nt

Now you have a directory called /old_nt that IS your old Windose drive. Copy any of your files from this directory to somewhere safe before you attempt any other recovery of your Windose operating system.
BrummieJim
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't delete it, I just installed a boot record. I was thinking about using the rescue function on the windows install disk rather than doing a reinstall. I can mount the partition fine from gentoo normally when the partiition's working, but it refuses at the moment.
nszeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem before ... and i think that by installing windows ( XP i assume ) again over the old copy will fix things. After reisntalled the windows over the old copy u might me able to copy ur files to another location and make a clean install ...

Another way to fix this would be to remove the HD where the windows partiiton reside and connect it to another machine then u could access the files , copy them and move the HD back.
BrummieJim
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the data's all there, so I won't need to reinstall windows. I just don't want windows to trash my gentoo partitions using the windows rescue software, and want to be sure I can use the gentoo install cd to reinstall grub. Does this sound feasible?
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what you do:
put in your windows disk, and press F3 to get to a recovery console. After that, unfortunately, I forgot what to do. I haven't done it in a while. Search Google on the Windows XP recovery console.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
Moved in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-39206.html

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: