xorg 6.9 final release ebuild? [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoundsToZero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: xorg 6.9 final release ebuild? [solved] Reply with quote

I know that all the focus has been on moving to modular X, but in the process, it seems that the 6.9 release was largely ignored. It is clear that the modular X ebuilds are a work-in-progress, hence the hard-masking. This is not only understandable, but was expected by the X.org Foundation. In fact, this is why they decided to do a 6.9 release, to help with the transition, to have the same features as 7.0 but with the old build system.

This "transition" is not some abstract concept, it was done for the benefit of distro maintainers, knowing that a lot of work would have to go into packaging 7.0 for general consumption. They wanted to provide the distros a way to get the new features to their users without a long delay.

Considerable effort must have gone into creating two builds. But it seems that Gentoo is not taking advantage of all this work. Obviously modular ebuilds are the way of the future, but a 6.9 final release ebuild could be written, tested, and stabled not only in a fraction of the time that will be spent on modular ebuilds, but probably a fraction of the time that has already been spent on modular ebuilds as well. If I remember correctly, the monolithic ebuilds for KDE 3.4 went stable before the split ebuilds with no harm or foul (correct me if I'm wrong).

If Gentoo is all about freedom (yes, I know, I can see you shaking your heads now), then it seems like getting the new features of 6.9/7.0 shouldn't incur the headache of switching to hard-masked, largely untested packages. I don't know what the proprietary driver situation is with 6.9/7.0, but people who run into problems can always just revert to 6.8.2 if they have to, seeing as they're stuck there now anyway. We have a new release, 6.9, that uses a widely-tested build system that has worked for decades. It could be dropped into portage in a fraction of the time that the modular ebuilds can be. So why is it being ignored?

Last edited by RoundsToZero on Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want the new X.org, unmask the 7.0 version. The developers have their hands full working on porting everything and solving bugs. Creating and maintaining an 6.9 ebuild would be a lot more work. These people are only volunteers. IIRC there is a 6.9 ebuild somewhere on the forum, so you could try that one.
RoundsToZero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I found it, I will try it out. Also I swear I did not find that last time when I searched for the same thing. :cry:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: