View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Fluxbox Dual Head - Usage query Reply with quote

I have managed to get Fluxbox working with my ATI 9600 XT video card using ATI drivers with a 19" LCD and a 17" CRT running different resolutions. If anyone wants it I can post my xorg.conf file

I discovered that Fluxbox has separate workspaces for each monitor, took a few minutes to figure that one out.

I only have a couple of, possibly silly, usage questions

Is it possible to drag a window from one monitor to the other? If not, how do I move a window from one monitor to the other?

The other question is...

On bootup, the kernel seems to prefer the old VGA output port of my video card for the 'console', how do I convince the kernel to use the 'Digital out' port, falling back to the VGA if there is no monitor plugged in?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Blood Fluke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fluxbox Dual Head - Usage query Reply with quote

lyallp wrote:

On bootup, the kernel seems to prefer the old VGA output port of my video card for the 'console', how do I convince the kernel to use the 'Digital out' port, falling back to the VGA if there is no monitor plugged in?

You can't. :(
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kernel response.

Anyone offer any enlightenment on the moving of windows between displays?

I have re-built fluxbox to have the xinerama USE flag, if that helps at all - which it apparently does not.
The fluxbox docs dont mention dual head at all either.
I will have a quick look in the X docs and report back any successes there...
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you enabled xinerama in your xorg.conf? Using fluxbox here and can happily drag windows between monitors. It also hasn't made a workspace per monitor, it has made just one big workspace...
idunno246
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you set it up as dual X servers, so there is no way to drag between monitors with the current xorg.conf. You want to set it up in big desktop mode(which is example 2 in the aticonfig help)
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Dual head setup now - more questions Reply with quote

Ok, got dual head working with a single desktop. (required
Code:
Option "DesktopSetup" "horizontal"
in the ATI Device section and the removal of
Code:
Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
from my ServerLayout section)

Now, I have an LCD and a CRT.
The CRT is getting a little long in the tooth and requires the Gamma to be boosted a bit.
I have tried setting the Gamma in the monitor section.
I have tried setting the GammaCorrectionI and GammaCorrectionII in the ATI Device section.

I have no idea what the format of the GammaCorrection fields is or even if it is the correct one to use.

Another question.
I use 'entranced' as my greeter. now that I have a large horizontal desktop, it puts the greeter window right in the middle, split over the two monitors.

How do I tweak entranced to put it's greeter on the left side?
Zaventh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's part of xinerama. Did you "emerge -uD world --newuse" after setting the "xinemera" flag in make.conf? If you did, then you have to continue to setup your xorg.conf. My recommendation is to use the fglrxconfig tool to generate a new xorg.conf for you. If you are using the latest ati-drivers, you might not have this tool (it was replaced by aticonfig) so go and find an RPM of a slightly older version for your arch (will be called fglrx elsewhere), use rpm2tgz, untar it and run the fglrxconfig tool in there as root to generate a new xorg.conf. I just did this about two days ago to get xinerama working with KDE and it worked for me.
Wart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in a similar position.. but I dont really have a problem with fluxbox using seperate workspaces for each monitor.. Just dont know how to configure the second one.. i.e. set background, change number of workspaces, etc.. Any idea where the config for it is?
ROBO_DONUT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The configuration for the second desktop is in your ~/.fluxbox/init file, the first desktop stuff starts with session.screen0 and the second starts with session.screen1.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: