Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xcomposite USE flag for kicker (what does it do?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Alexander
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: xcomposite USE flag for kicker (what does it do?) Reply with quote

Kicker transparency works whether I enable xcomposite or not in the kicker build as long as it is enabled in kwin. and if it isn't enabled in kwin it doesn't work if it is enabled in kicker (fake, desktop background transparency of course works either way). So what does the xcomposite flag even do for kicker? I thought it would actually be cool and do custom alpha levels so that icons would be 100% opaque and the background would have your level of transparency (this is the effect with the fake transparency) but this doesn't seem to be the case. So, do anyone know what this does?
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If as you say it doesn't matter whether kicker is built with USE="xcomposite" or not, that transparency still works assuming kwin was built with support then the purpose of it is to make the ebuild compatible with modular X. According to the ChangeLog, it should enable/disable xcomposite support
ChangeLog for Kicker wrote:

11 Jan 2006; Diego Pettenò <flameeyes@gentoo.org>
+files/kicker-3.5.0-composite.patch, kicker-3.5.0.ebuild:
Add patch to disable xcomposite support and xcomposite useflag to
enable/disable it.

seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: xcomposite USE flag for kicker (what does it do?) Reply with quote

Charles Alexander wrote:
Kicker transparency works whether I enable xcomposite or not in the kicker build as long as it is enabled in kwin. and if it isn't enabled in kwin it doesn't work if it is enabled in kicker (fake, desktop background transparency of course works either way). So what does the xcomposite flag even do for kicker? I thought it would actually be cool and do custom alpha levels so that icons would be 100% opaque and the background would have your level of transparency (this is the effect with the fake transparency) but this doesn't seem to be the case. So, do anyone know what this does?

Does this mean it is possible to get a kicker with true transparency that looks exactly like the one with fake transparency? If yes, can you shortly explain how you did this? I have xcomposite working in KDE and use KDE-3.5.1.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: