Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
born
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XenoTerraCide wrote:
[...] I can't imagine doing gentoo via dial up.

Oh yeah, it would be a really bad pain in the ass... :?
psy_ill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is certainly an interesting thread.
I'm using slackware 10.2 on an old laptop of mine, but it's starting to get on my nerves.
Everytime I want to use a nice, new feature I have to hack my way through a dozen scripts or so.
I have a hard time standing debian despite their great package database, simply because it decides too much for itself what my system should look like.
(Besides that, debian is just as old and outdated as slackware.)

What I really would like to do is to install gentoo, put a portage-snapshot on cdrom or use the portage tree I have on my main computer through ssh, nfs or whatever, compile every package on the main computer and transfer the binary packages to my laptop.

The laptop is an IBM ThinkPad 365 XD. It has 40 Mb primary memory, 1 Gb hdd, an ethernet card and I can't upgrade it (even if I could I wouldn't waste money on such an old computer).

I don't need X or any of that fancy stuff, I need

• A 2.6 kernel
  • Bash
  • SSH-client
  • Nano
  • Vim
  • GCC including G++
  • Python
  • Perl
  • Prolog (SWI-Prolog or GNU Prolog)
  • SlashEm :D

of course, if I could manage to get a decent cd player (cdcd) and some ogg player and an mp3 player and... (you get the picture) I wouldn't be disappointed, but I still need some space on the hdd to store my data in, 200-300 Mb perhaps.

The biggest problem is portage.
It would be great if I could use the portage tree on my main computer.
born
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psy_ill wrote:

I don't think that's a problem. It should be also possibly to store the portage tree via NFS on another machine, but I don't know how fast (or rather slow) this solution is. If you want to make such an experience it would be nice if you could comment it.

Bye.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

born wrote:
psy_ill wrote:

I don't think that's a problem. It should be also possibly to store the portage tree via NFS on another machine, but I don't know how fast (or rather slow) this solution is. If you want to make such an experience it would be nice if you could comment it.

Bye.

NFS: I do that at home, it works just fine :D
better is the _ROOT variable discussed above: you can compile things for your small computer with your desktop, that makes things faster... :D

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
born
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:

NFS: I do that at home, it works just fine :D
better is the _ROOT variable discussed above: you can compile things for your small computer with your desktop, that makes things faster... :D

Oh, that's really nice. You can compile it on another machine if it's the same system type of course (or you have to fight with cross compiling).

BTW. (sorry, it's a bit off topic here) Is it "easily" possible to compile applications distributed in the case where I have an amd64 box and a ppc? Or are too many steps necessary and/or is it just too complicated?
psy_ill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the ROOT variable seems to be easily managed.
It would be nice to have a stripped-down binary "image" stored on my faster computer and just run some update script using sftp or whatever on the laptop, transfering new files when I've compiled something new, and so far, the ROOT variable would make it. In that way, my root filesystem on the laptop would be sort of a mirror of a certain directory on the faster computer.

I will try it and report the result as soon as I get the time to do it :)
(That probably means I will do it in a month or two. I'm a bit under pressure right now, catching up with my studies. Multi-variable analysis...)
Then I will be able to report how small I got the system too.

But I think I will need to tweak portage a bit more though, because the laptop would need different USE- and CFLAGS-flags.
The faster computer has an Athlon thunderbird and the laptop has a plain Pentium (not even MMX :( ) which means no problem for gcc (lucky me).

born wrote:

Is it "easily" possible to compile applications distributed in the case where I have an amd64 box and a ppc? Or are too many steps necessary and/or is it just too complicated?

I have never tried a cross-compilation between CPUs of different architectures, but I have distcc installed and have used it to speed up compiling on another slow computer (my second desktop, I use it for MS-DOS music programs and my digital camera, which was dirt cheap but old and it only works under windows, and, of course, I run Gentoo on it) and it worked very well.

The following is an excerpt from the man page of distcc:
Quote:

CROSS COMPILING
Cross compilation means building programs to run on a machine with a different processor, architecture, or operating system to where they were
compiled. distcc supports cross compilation, including teams of mixed-architecture machines, although some changes to the compilation commands
may be required.

The compilation command passed to distcc must be one that will execute properly on every volunteer machine to produce an object file of the appro-
priate type. If the machines have different processors, then simply using distcc cc will probably not work, because that will normally invoke the
volunteer's native compiler.

Machines with the same CPU but different operating systems may not necessarily generate compatible .o files.

Several different gcc configurations can be installed side-by-side on any machine. If you build gcc from source, you should use the --program-
suffix configuration options to cause it to be installed with a name that encodes the gcc version and the target platform.

The recommended convention for the gcc name is TARGET-gcc-VERSION such as i686-linux-gcc-3.2 . GCC 3.3 will install itself under this name, in
addition to TARGET-gcc and, if it's native, gcc-VERSION and gcc .

The compiler must be installed under the same name on the client and on every volunteer machine.

The big problem will probably be to make different versions of gcc play nicely with each other.
Good luck
cynric
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not totally sure of all the affects of the following, but for me they work great. Check out RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM for your make.conf. I use this to cut out dir's I know I'll never use as well as all ChangeLogs (if I ever need them, I can check online). The part that might causes problems is that I also cut out the metadata building for those dir's. From my understanding it shouldn't cause problems, but I'm a simple user. Anyway, here's the last couple of entries for my desktop machine to give you an idea:

Code:
[...]
*sys-cluster/
*www-apache/
*www-apps/
*www-misc/
*www-servers/
*xfce-*/
*/ChangeLog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2