Need an mplayer/mencoder guru: capturing ALSA and BTTV
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adsmith
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Need an mplayer/mencoder guru: capturing ALSA and BTTV Reply with quote

Here's the setup:

The BTTV tuner card has
Audio -> external loopback wire -> on-board audio Line-IN
Video -> /dev/video0 is just fine (no onboard MPEG2 compression).

Here are the symptoms:

1) tvtime sees and hears just fine. No problems.
2) The "Capture" audio device in ALSA always hears the tv. That is, "arecord file.out" fills file.out with the audio stream of the last-tuned tv station.
3) mplayer and mencoder can see but NOT hear.

I have tried the following sorts of things, all with no resulting audio:

• mplayer tv://17 -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:norm=NTSC:chanlist=us-bcast
  • (similarly) mencoder tv://17 -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:norm=NTSC:chanlist=us-bcast

and every combination of the "alsa" "forceaudio" and "immediatemode" setting for -tv.

Can anyone experienced with mplayer/mencoder please tell me how to get it to combine the obvious audio and video streams?
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try mplayer using device=/dev/video0:alsa:amode=1 ,if not working try to change to amode=0,
once you're sure mplayer works, you can start tweaking mencoder.
(ah, check with alsamixer that line is capturing source, capture settings shows up pressing F4 , and that
control line (output) is unmuted and has some volume, tvtime is the only app unmuting line control)
tuam
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an mplayer/mencoder guru: capturing ALSA and BTTV Reply with quote

adsmith wrote:
Can anyone experienced with mplayer/mencoder please tell me how to get it to combine the obvious audio and video streams?

What kernel version are you using? I'm having problems with recent kernels, too.

Check alsamixer and v4lctl that there's nothing muting.

Most interestingly, at the moment on my box, mplayer/mencoder is borken, transcode works (once I got the parameters right)!

FF,

Daniel

Last edited by tuam on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
adsmith
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matteo Azzali
Thanks for the suggestions, but they still result in no sound.

tuam

kernel is vanilla 2.6.15.1. All of the alsa and v4l modules are built from within this kernel (not from CVS or portage)

mplayer is media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre7-r1 -3dfx +3dnow +3dnowext +X +aac +aalib +alsa (-altivec) -arts -bidi -bindist -bl +cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cflags -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dts -dv -dvb +dvd +dvdread -edl +encode -esd -fbcon -ggi +gif +gtk -i8x0 -ipv6 -jack -joystick +jpeg -libcaca -lirc -live -livecd -lzo +mad -matroska -matrox +mmx +mmxext -mythtv -nas +nls +nvidia +opengl +oss +png +real -rtc -samba +sdl +sse -sse2 -svga -tga +theora +truetype +v4l +v4l2 +vorbis +win32codecs -xanim -xinerama -xmms +xv +xvid +xvmc

I'll emerge transcode and give that a try.

All of the appropriate alsa devices are unmuted and set to Capture. This is confirmed by arecord grabbing the Tuner's output.

I've also tried the patch for the snd_bt87x module mentioned in a nearby thread, and it produced /dev/[a]dsp1 for the tuner card, but I still can't get any input from those devices. So, I'm back to focusing on the sound card line-in, which I *know* is properly capturing audio, even if mplayer doesn't know about it.
adsmith
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed: transcode (and nuppelvideo, for what it's worth) but can grab audio appropriately.

So, either there's a problem with mplayer seeing /dev/dsp at all, or I simply don't understand how to use it (more likely)
And yes, I have included adevice=/dev/dsp in the tv options...
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I give another senseless hint? try to filter out most of the use flags from mplayer, emerge just with
the strict-necessary flags, and try. I had big issues in the past with xvmc theora doc cpudetection and some other flags,
mplayer is working fine here only without these (also, is libtheora needed for mplayer to work with theora?
ebuild is lacking dependancy).

Actually on my system these flags are safe:
Code:

3dnow 3dnowext X aac aalib alsa dts dvb dvd dvdread encode esd gif gtk joystick jpeg lirc mad mmx mmxext nls nvidia opengl oss png sdl sse sse2 svga truetype v4l v4l2 vorbis win32codecs xmms xv xvid -3dfx -arts -bidi -bindist -bl -cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cflags -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dv -edl -fbcon -ggi -i8x0 -ipv6 -jack -libcaca -live -livecd -lzo -matroska -matrox -mythtv -nas -real -rtc -samba -tga -theora -xanim -xinerama -xvmc

tuam
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adsmith wrote:
Confirmed: transcode (and nuppelvideo, for what it's worth) but can grab audio appropriately.

So, either there's a problem with mplayer seeing /dev/dsp at all, or I simply don't understand how to use it (more likely)
And yes, I have included adevice=/dev/dsp in the tv options...

Searching Google, this might be a common problem with kernel >= 2.6.15. I think we have to record with transcode until it's fixed - I can't fix it myself :cry:

FF,

Daniel
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuam wrote:

Searching Google, this might be a common problem with kernel >= 2.6.15. I think we have to record with transcode until it's fixed - I can't fix it myself :cry:

FF,

Daniel

Hum, can be common but's not affecting all. I have ~x86 on a nforce3 motherboard (with new alsa so no asoundrc for mixing) and
here is working fine.... Can't help more, sorry.
adsmith
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I have a work-around solution for myself.

I wrote a script which records in nuvrec (nuppelvideo package), then transcodes it to mpeg4. This works just fine for my freevo recordserver, so I'm happy enough for now...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: