HDD Refusing to Partition full ammount of space
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewickedjester
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: HDD Refusing to Partition full ammount of space Reply with quote

<edit> Turns out I was being overly cautious, it works find, sorry about that. Please delete this topic if neccissary </edit>

Ok, this is my first go at installing linux on anything aside from my xbox, so its a bit different. I'm reading through the manual and trying to partition, now, a simple fdisk (comman p) shows:
Fdisk /dev/hdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729

ect ect. At any rate, its an 80gb hard drive. When I attempt to partition a 32MB boot drive, it shows Start as 1 and End as 5, Blocks at 40131. Now again, I've not had the pleasure of doing this on a PC before so this could be normal. But on the Handbook it uses a 30gb hdd, and its 32MB boot partition is shown as Start 1, End 14, with 105808+ Blocks. Now that just doesnt seem right, but again, it could be. Thank you in advance for your help, it is greatly appreciated by someone who wants to see more than a blue screen of death every day :)
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: HDD Refusing to Partition full ammount of space Reply with quote

thewickedjester wrote:
When I attempt to partition a 32MB boot drive, it shows Start as 1 and End as 5, Blocks at 40131 ... But on the Handbook it uses a 30gb hdd, and its 32MB boot partition is shown as Start 1, End 14, with 105808+ Blocks.

In case you are curious why this happened, the example harddrive in the Gentoo Handbook probably had a different (smaller) number of heads or sectors/track. Different harddrive geometry just means you need a different number of cylinders to make a 32MB partition, nothing to worry about.

BTW, Welcome to the Gentoo Forums.

EDIT : Now that you mention it, it does look like someone tampered with the example to make it look like 32MB when 105808+ blocks would actually be closer to 100MB. Oh well, still nothing to worry about.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: