1 Q, 1 Prob: Chnge Mount; Copy closes window [1 of 2 Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivitir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: 1 Q, 1 Prob: Chnge Mount; Copy closes window [1 of 2 Solved] Reply with quote

I have 2 issues that I need some help with. First off I want to be able to change my mount point of my /root directory. Currently it is on a 5 GB partition on hdb2, and I want to move it so it is on the same partition as / which is hda2. Then I want my /home on hdb1 to consume that little 5 gb partition. What is the best way to do this? If you have any links to some good documentation on this, that would be very helpful as well.

My question is regarding a vary strange issue that I found while making this post. If I copy some text from my rdesktop window into my firefox 1.0.7 and then hit the left arrow key, my firefox just up and dies like I closed the window. Does anyone have any idea why it does this? It doesn't seem to have this problem if I do a copy from kate to firefox, only rdesktop to firefox.

I did search the forums and Google for both of these issue's and I didn't find anything on them. Thanks for any help you can provide. If you need any other information from me just let me know.

Last edited by rivitir on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivitir,

To advise on your partitioning we need to know how your partitions are located on your disks.
Please post the output of fdisk -l /dev/.... for both disks and expalin what each entry is.

Moving yout /root onto / is quite easy, growning /home into the space it leaves may not be easy at all.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
rivitir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what you requested:
All of these partitions except for the swap partitions are ext3.

/dev/hda1 * - /boot 50 MB
/dev/hda2 - / 30 GB
/dev/hda3 - /var 9 GB
/dev/hda4 - Swap 1 GB

/dev/hdb1 - /home 25 GB
/dev/hdb2 - /root 5 GB
/dev/hdb3 - Swap 1 GB
/dev/hdb4 - /usr 9 GB

The goal of course is to move /root to /dev/hda2 and then take the 5GB partition left over and give it to /home or /dev/hdb1. I would like to do this without data loss if it is pssible. The whole reason I decided to do this is because I want more room in my /root directory because I would like to learn how to build my own live CD's. I don't need to consume the 5 GB into home, but it would be nice, moving /root is the primary goal.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivitir,

Code:
umount /dev/hdb2
then mount it somewhere else. If you have a /mnt/floppy thats a good choice.
Code:
mount /dev/hdb2 /mntfloppy -t ext3 -o ro
fix the ext3 if thats not right for you.
Now you can use cp -a to copy the contents of /mnt/floppy to /root
Code:
cp -a /mnt/floppy /root
read
Code:
man cp
and understand the -a option.
Its important you preserve permissions and timestamps. -a mean archive, so it should do that.

When the copy is done, look in /root for a dir called lost+found. Delete it if its there, since only the top level of a partition should have one. Do some sanity checks with
Code:
ls -la /root
and compare to
Code:
ls -la /mnt/floppy

Remove your /dev/hdb2 entry from /etc/fstab. Don't trash /dev/hdb2 just yet. Reboot, check that /root looks OK and that /dev/hdb2 is not mounted.

Wether you can grow /home or not depends on the filesystem but doing it without a backup is asking for trouble.
You need to check your
Code:
fdisk -l /dev/hdb
to see that the partitions are next to each other on the drive too. They don't have to be. After you have made your backup, try parted or gparted if you want a GUI.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
rivitir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on moving my /root dir. I'll try it and let you know the results.

Here is some more interesting information about the firefox issue I'm having. If I hit F5 in the gentoo forums, the tab I'm on freezes and I can't scroll or click on links, the other tabs, however, are not effected. It seems as though my firefox malfunctions only in the gentoo forums, any idea's why?
rivitir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved my /root without any problems, thanks for the help.

As far as the firefox issue goes though, any ideas? Trying to post in here is some what difficult when firefox keeps closing and locking up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: