help in making a developer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajay_Chahar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: help in making a developer Reply with quote

Hello Gentoo lovers out there,
I am Ajay Chahar , a 16 yr old linux enthusiast from India. I have been working with linux for the last 2 yrs and have gained quite fair knowledge. Now after trying around 23 different distros I have finally settled on Gentoo and have fallen in love with it. The power it gives me is awesome. Now what i request is that you developers out there train me so that i can give something back to Gentoo significantly , basically back to linux. Please this is an earnest request. Hoping for a fair amount of positive replies. Please this is no joke I really want to get trained from developers like you people. First hel can be of helping me to get me to install Gentoo on my notebook Acer TravlMate 4152NLCi I think the hardware may be compatible as it came preloaded with Linpus linux.I have managed to get Gentoo working on my PC.

I want to be the gratest developer with your help.

Cheers,
Ajay
darker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of asking others to train you, why don't you train yourself. I suggest reading through these forums, the Gentoo Wiki, and the Gentoo documentation. If you have a problem, try to find out the solution yourself, and only as a last resort ask others to help. You will learn the most about Gentoo and Linux if you try to figure things out yourself.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, go through bugs.gentoo.org and look for stuff you are interested in helping with.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: help in making a developer Reply with quote

Ajay_Chahar wrote:
First hel can be of helping me to get me to install Gentoo on my notebook Acer TravlMate 4152NLCi I think the hardware may be compatible as it came preloaded with Linpus linux.I have managed to get Gentoo working on my PC.

Step 1:
Have a look at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

Step 2:
Follow the installation steps given at that link

Step 3:
Then if you have a problem, ask for help with THAT SPECIFIC PROBLEM.
Mathiasdm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-File bugs
-Answer questions
-Learn how to program

That's all one can do, I guess ;-)
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang out on IRC helping people too - you can learn a lot. Particularly for development related stuff you can hang out in #gentoo-dev (but not speak there), #gentoo-dev-help (some useful stufff in the topic), #gentoo-bugs (read random bugs!) and also the herd specific channels like #gentoo-portage - and of course for general assisting people there's #gentoo. If you speak languages other than english, check the channel list for a channel for your language - and maybe if there isn't one, start one!

Oh yeah, and read random ebuilds =)

Allen
Arniepoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to kickstart your development try the following:

• Select a simple app/tool that interests you
  • Get hold of a source tarball for said app/tool and extract it into a development folder
  • Configure/build the app/tool
  • Once you have it running have a look at the source code and make some changes to it

As long as you pick a benign app (e.g. one that isn't going to damage your system) you shouldn't run into too many problems.

As previously mentioned, if you select an app that has known bugs in bugzilla, you can then have a go at fixing some bugs. You'll win friends and be hailed as a hero :lol:

Arnie
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: