More memory issues - grep
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: More memory issues - grep Reply with quote

When I encountered this issue, I did some searching to try to see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing. I didn't find any, but I did notice a fair number of threads about memory issues. I don't even know if this is related, but here goes...

After doing a "grep -R ALSA_CARDS *" from / (the base directory) I got the following errors:

Code:

grep: dev/.devfsd: Operation not permitted
Binary file dev/mem matches
grep: dev/kmem: Bad address
grep: memory exhausted

When in X, this will cause my screen to go black unless I am typing or moving my mouse, and then goes black immediately again. I did a "free" to get the following:

Code:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        515768      20380     495388          0       2808       8684
-/+ buffers/cache:       8888     506880
Swap:       498004          0     498004

As you can see, my memory is no-where near exhausted. I had to reboot to get the system to a usable state again.

This happens with both vanilla and gentoo sources (gentoo compiled with preemtible kernel and low-latency).

It also happens without X from the commandline, but the system does not act any different.

I have a feeling this might simply be being caused by grep trying to access some memory device or something like that, and cause errors. However, this still shouldn't happen.

My system is completely back to normal after a reboot. Nothing seems to be adversely affected.

Has anyone else experienced this, or dare give it a try themselves to see :)
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: More memory issues - grep Reply with quote

red_over_blue wrote:
After doing a "grep -R ALSA_CARDS *" from / (the base directory) I got the following errors:

Code:

grep: dev/.devfsd: Operation not permitted
Binary file dev/mem matches
grep: dev/kmem: Bad address
grep: memory exhausted

right, but you NEVER should run such a command. think about it, there is the device filesystem which provides kmem - which is your current memory used by the kernel. so you're basically running a program (which is run by the kernel) that tries to read out the current memory (in order to find something in it in your example) in which the programm it self is running. you see the problem? :)

ok, two advices and one question:

first: DO NOT DO ANYTHING AS ROOT UNLESS YOU REALLY HAVE TO.
second: always remember that linux will do what you tell it to do. you can run "rm -rf /*" and linux will happily run it without asking you if you are sure that you are going to kill pretty much the entire system with this command. THINK before pressing enter.

the question: what did you try to find with this command? what is the problem that driven you to run this command?
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that this is such an unreasonable command. I wanted to use grep to find every file on my entire drive that contained the word ALSA_CARDS.

I skimmed over the man page for grep, but couldn't find any flags to tell grep to only consider text files.

Thanks for your reply.
rojaro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red_over_blue wrote:
I don't think that this is such an unreasonable command. I wanted to use grep to find every file on my entire drive that contained the word ALSA_CARDS.

I skimmed over the man page for grep, but couldn't find any flags to tell grep to only consider text files.

grep wasnt made for such - it just searches through anything you tell it to search through. if you tell it to search through a device (what you actually did) it will do - not asking if you're sure about what you're trying to do there.

to give you a hint on the correct use of this command try the following command:

find / -type f -exec grep ALSA_CARDS {} ';'

but still, i don't think that this is the right command for your - still unspecified - problem. why do you want to search ALL (even 100% unrelated files) for ALSA_CARDS? what is the problem? if you want to know if your soundcard is supported by the alsa drivers, then you should check the alsa documentation at http://www.alsa-project.org/.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: