partitioning hardware RAID0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
respectall34
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: partitioning hardware RAID0 Reply with quote

I recently got a Vaio desktop with two physical hard drives (150GB each) configured in RAID0 (striping). The system came with XP, and I wanted to use a Gentoo CD to use ntfsresize to partition my drive. I have an ata raid card and the device manager isnt defining the hds correctly. When I try to mount the partion as an ntfs file system it says it's a bad super block. Is there a way to fix this, or are my dreams of a partitioned hard drive with two operating systems out the window? Thanks in advance

-Nate
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this helps - Linux SATA FAQ

http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html
respectall34
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand all that, I know I have a "fake hardware RAID". I was curious on why device manager, was giving me the error, and not defining the drives right. I really want to get this partitioned, so I can throw some gentoo action on this beast. Thanks for the link though.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your sata raid chip is supported you can use the BIOS RAID. There are some howtos in the forum.

You have to initialize the RAID 0 as it is in the BIOS. But I dont think you will be able to resize the existing partiton without data loss (I dont know of a tool, that can resize RAID0 partitions).

So you will have to delete the existing partitions anyway. Unless you REALLY want to mess with the BIOS RAID, use Software RAID in linux and (if you have a better version than XP home :wink: ) in Windows.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: