View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephaneschmit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gave it a try but it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks,

- steph
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephaneschmit wrote:
d_adams wrote:
Is the correct sata driver included in the kernel?

Yes, I included pretty much all of them.

I think d_adams is on the right track here.

Can you post the output of "lspci" so that we can see what SATA controller you are dealing with ?
stephaneschmit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Can you post the output of "lspci" so that we can see what SATA controller you are dealing with ?

Yes sure,

Code:
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb Host Bridge (rev a1)
0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb LPC Bridge (rev a2)
0000:00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce 250Gb PCI System Management (rev a1)
0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
0000:00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
0000:00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
0000:00:05.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK8S Ethernet Controller (rev a2)
0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
0000:00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Parallel ATA Controller (v2.5) (rev a2)
0000:00:0a.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Serial ATA Controller (v2.5) (rev a2)
0000:00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AGP Host to PCI Bridge (rev a2)
0000:00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev a2)
0000:00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
0000:00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
0000:00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
0000:00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] (rev 01)
0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5940 (rev 01)
0000:02:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
0000:02:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
0000:02:08.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)
0000:02:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)
0000:02:0b.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)
0000:02:0c.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3114 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

Thanks,

- steph
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see 2 SATA controllers here.
stephaneschmit wrote:
Code:
0000:00:0a.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Serial ATA Controller (v2.5) (rev a2)
0000:02:0c.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3114 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

These are the drivers you should have compiled into your kernel.
Code:
Device Drivers  --->
  SCSI device support  --->
    <*>   SCSI disk support
    SCSI low-level drivers  --->
      <*> Serial ATA (SATA) support
      <*>   NVIDIA SATA support
      <*>   Silicon Image SATA support

Another thing to consider is that the order of the drives (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb) may be reversed now that you are booting your own kernel compared to the way they were during installation (with the LiveCD's kernel).
stephaneschmit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
These are the drivers you should have compiled into your kernel (...)

I have them both yet.

cyrillic wrote:
Another thing to consider is that the order of the drives (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb) may be reversed now that you are booting your own kernel compared to the way they were during installation (with the LiveCD's kernel).

I don't know, Grub finds the disk I have Windows on (/dev/sda) just fine with the grub.conf I fixed. It also clearly complains when I try to mess with this config file. I would tend to believe this is something else.

Thanks,

- steph
stephaneschmit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:

How could I test this possibilty ? Would I need to edit /etc/fstab and ask /dev/sda1 to mount on /boot instead ? Wouldn't this be likely to mess with my Windows XP partition ?

Thanks,

- steph
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephaneschmit wrote:
Grub finds the disk I have Windows on (/dev/sda) just fine with the grub.conf I fixed.

I was not talking about the order that GRUB sees the drives, but the order that your new kernel sees the drives.

ps. Try root=/dev/sda3 instead of root=/dev/sdb3 and see if you get a different error message.
stephaneschmit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Try root=/dev/sda3 instead of root=/dev/sdb3 and see if you get a different error message.

I get the exact same error message.

Thanks,

- steph
stephaneschmit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how important this is but one weird thing happened when installing Grub : when trying the interactive prompt method, I was surprised to see the automatic complection of possible boot partitions (AKA the TAB trick) not working for me. I suspect this has something to do with the booting problem I am now facing but I wouldn't know what.

Thanks,

- steph
bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you take these steps to install grub?

Code:

Alternative: Setting up GRUB using manual instructions

To start configuring GRUB, you type in grub. You'll be presented with the grub> grub command-line prompt. Now, you need to type in the right commands to install the GRUB boot record onto your hard drive.

Code Listing 7: Starting the GRUB shell

# grub

Note: If your system does not have any floppy drives, add the --no-floppy option to the above command to prevent grub from probing the (non-existing) floppy drives.

In the example configuration we want to install GRUB so that it reads its information from the boot-partition /dev/hda1, and installs the GRUB boot record on the hard drive's MBR (master boot record) so that the first thing we see when we turn on the computer is the GRUB prompt. Of course, if you haven't followed the example configuration during the installation, change the commands accordingly.

The tab completion mechanism of GRUB can be used from within GRUB. For instance, if you type in "root (" followed by a TAB, you will be presented with a list of devices (such as hd0). If you type in "root (hd0," followed by a TAB, you will receive a list of available partitions to choose from (such as hd0,0).

By using the tab completion, setting up GRUB should be not that hard. Now go on, configure GRUB, shall we? :-)

Code Listing 8: Installing GRUB in the MBR

grub> root (hd0,0)          (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
grub> setup (hd0)           (Install GRUB in the MBR)
grub> quit                  (Exit the GRUB shell)

You stated that tab autocompletion didn't work then that is probably the problem.

I think you should do root (hd1---HOLD TAB)
setup (hd0)
quit
stephaneschmit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobspencer123 wrote:
did you take these steps to install grub?

Yes I did.

bobspencer123 wrote:
You stated that tab autocompletion didn't work then that is probably the problem.

Probably yes, but what could prevent this to work ?

bobspencer123 wrote:
I think you should do root (hd1---HOLD TAB)
setup (hd0)
quit

It still doesn't work for me.

Thanks,

- steph
sion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the exact same issues with the exact same SATA controller (nForce 3). Not good.
bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do:

grub
root ( -right after the ( hold tab, do you get anything?

if not then something is seriously wrong. This means that grub isn't detecting any of your partitions on any drive I don't know why that would happen but it narrows down the possible errors and hopefully someone else can figure out why grub would detect no drives.

I might try a complete reinstall sometimes it is just something stupid that you forgot to do that none of us have thought to try and can be corrected by a new install and a careful following of the gentoo handbook.

good luck and hopefully you can get this working
stephaneschmit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to install this on some old IDE disk I may have and see what happens.

Thank you guys for your help.

- steph
stephaneschmit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so that you guys know, I finally got it working. It was my mistake. I didn't pay attention but the following link was missing.

Code:
Code Listing 3: Viewing the kernel source symlink

# ls -l /usr/src/linux
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root    root       12 Jul 28 11:04 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r10

I noticed that while re-installing the system on another disk. Now I can boot both systems using the kernel I compiled through my second attempt to install Gentoo. Nothing is wrong with my SATA drivers. It's all good now. Thanks for your help. Feel free to delete this thread whenever.

- steph
d_adams
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could go back to your first post and edit the topic by putting "Solved" at the end to let others know that you've fixed it. Glad to hear that you got it working right.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: