View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KungFuHamster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Boot problem after "emerge -u world" Reply with quote

I'm having some issues with /sbin/rc. I updated my system last night & had to reboot later today for some crapm I had to deal with in Windows. When it tries running the init scripts, I get a lot of errors complaining about being unable to make symlinks to non-existent directories and files.

Here's a small snippet:

Code:

INIT: version 2.84 booting
/sbin/rc: line 282: /mnt/.init.d/softlevel: Read-only filesystem
install: cannot create directory `/mnt/.init.d/failed': Read-only filesystem
ln: creating symbolic link `/mnt/.init.d/softscripts.new/bootmisc' to /etc/init.d/bootmisc': No such file or directory
ln: creating symbolic link `/mnt/.init.d/softscripts.new/checkfs' to /etc/init.d/checkfs': No such file or directory
mv: cannot move `/mnt/.init.d/softscripts' to `/mnt/.init.d/softscripts.old': Read-only file system
mv: cannot move `mnt/.init.d/softscripts.new': No such file or directory

I've already tried booting from an install CD and running "env-update" and that did absolutely nothing. Any ideas?

KungFuHamster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFuHamster wrote:
bump

Bump ?

/Supermule
KungFuHamster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermule wrote:
KungFuHamster wrote:
bump

Bump ?

/Supermule

Done to bring a thread to he top of the forum list to get more attention. Which I need, since I'm stuck in Windows right now. :cry:
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having exactly the same problem.

Stuck in winblows at the moment, but it looks like some recent update (gcc, binutils, modutils??) is causing problems with gentoo-sources-2.4.20-rc2, there's an ext3 error when trying to mount the root partition and it just goes belly up from there. Booting from the 1.4rc3 CD I can mount the boot partition OK and chroot to it. I changed the root filesystem type to ext2 (usually use auto) in /etc/fstab, but it just gives an ext2 error instead.

I'll post the output I'm getting tomorrow, and try downgrading to gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r1 as well. The reason for this is that I am also running Debian on the same box but using the Gentoo sources for my kernel, r1 booted Debian OK but when I compiled a kernel with the r2 sources I get exactly the same issue when booting Debian (with no changes made to the system other than the kernel).

So both Gentoo and Debian are down at the moment, leaving me linux-less!!

I'm using SCSI hd's btw.

HELP!!
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: same probelm Reply with quote

Having the same problem. Update world on two systems, on one I cannot boot and on the orther I get fileing systems problems during boot and I cann't emerge rsync (gives file errors). I'm able to mount partitions under Knoppix just fine (backing up data right now). Tried 2.5.65 with sames resulsts.

Warning to all, don't update until this is resolved.

xcable
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the problem here appears to be gawk 3.1.2, I got my Debian partition booting again, then mounted my Gentoo partition, chroot-ed to it, did an emerge rsync and it wanted to downgrade gawk back to 3.1.1-r1.

You could fix this in the same way using a Gentoo boot cd.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18127
fisken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's just great. :cry: The only gawk I'm able to (try to) merge is 3.1.2-r1. That would be ok if it only did merge, which it doesn't.

Did they remove gawk 3.1.1-r1? Can I get it somewhere else?
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I ran emerge rsync this morning and it wanted to downgrade 3.1.2 (no r1) to 3.1.1-r1

maybe the have updated gawk to 3.1.2-r1 which fixes the boot problems, but won't compile!

you could force emerge to downgrade - the ebuild is in /usr/portage/sys-apps/gawk

I would imagine if there is a 3.1.2-r1 out so soon, there will be an r2 along shortly to fix the build problem
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on cue, a gawk 3.1.2-r2 ebuild is available ;-)

it may take some time to filter through to all the rsync servers, it's certainly on

rsync9.de.gentoo.org

wish me luck, I'm downloading just now!
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well 3.1.2-r2 builds but I get the same problem when booting as the original poster, so DO NOT install this update

stay with 3.1.1-r1 until 3.1.2 gets fixed
fisken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, it works now (yay!). With 3.1.1-r1 that is.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must also mention that recovering from a 3.1.2-r2 install back to a working 3.1.1-r1 setup requires additional work with emerging baselayout again as well as gawk (and possibly sed) which requires mounting the proc filesystem from e.g. stage1 tarball.
dmmgentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
I'm having exactly the same problem.

Stuck in winblows at the moment, but it looks like some recent update (gcc, binutils, modutils??) is causing problems with gentoo-sources-2.4.20-rc2, there's an ext3 error when trying to mount the root partition and it just goes belly up from there. Booting from the 1.4rc3 CD I can mount the boot partition OK and chroot to it. I changed the root filesystem type to ext2 (usually use auto) in /etc/fstab, but it just gives an ext2 error instead.

Ext2 errors? After a complete build of Gentoo (bootstrap/emerge system), I suffered sudden and inexplicable ext2 filesystem corruption. This is odd, since fsck was run, and all the errors were presumably fixed. The problem is as follows:

While building mozilla, the build crapped out, with an error that librt.so can't be found. I couldn't use any binaries dynamically linked to librt.so (date was one such util, among many others). I booted into the Gentoo boot CD, and copied /lib/librt* /mnt/gentoo/lib. But I don't remember if I forgot to run e2fsck first before doing this, which might have screwed up my ext2 partition. You didn't see any errors about a missing librt.so recently, did you?

Now, the ext2 fs corruption probably came into play after I copied librt.so* to my /lib directory without running e2fsck first. Or maybe something else is wrong. I don't think anything's wrong with my disk, but anything's possible. I suppose copying files to an unchecked ext2 fs could cause some problems with inconsistencies. For example, I got an error message to fsck / manually.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmmgentoo

it sounds like you are having another unrelated problem to the gawk issue we are seeing

you should download the relevant diagnostic tool from your hd manufacturer (e.g. seagate, maxtor etc) and run it to find out if you have an hd problem
dreamsofxion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booting from a live CD and forcing an emerge of gawk-3.1.1-r1 (and nothing else) fixed the issue for me...

Thank god for these message boards...

[EDIT]

Scratch that...I'm still getting the errors that like half of the /etc/init.d scripts don't exist...but at least it boots...
...I'll try the new updates when I get home...unfortunately, due to the war, the DoD facility at which I work has blocked rsync traffic...
perreira
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: gawk-3.1.1-r does not help... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've got the same problem, after emerge -u world I get a bad superblock...

Booting from Live-CD 1.4-rc1, chrooting, emerging gawk-3.1.1-r1 and reemerging baselayout did not help. Still get the same message. Would be nice to get help as my diploma-thesis is on that computer (yes, I know, unstable distributions are not a good Idea to write a thesis with...;-) )

regards,
perreira
dmmgentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
dmmgentoo

it sounds like you are having another unrelated problem to the gawk issue we are seeing

you should download the relevant diagnostic tool from your hd manufacturer (e.g. seagate, maxtor etc) and run it to find out if you have an hd problem

I've got an HP Pavilion laptop. I ran the diagnostic tools, and the initial tests consistently flag my IDE HD as "failed". However, it does the same with my AGP controller, but not always, so I suspect the tests aren't reliable. When I do a series of advanced tests on my HD, I find that there are no errors. I've done the advanced test many times, and the HD consistently passes.
dmmgentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: gawk-3.1.1-r does not help... Reply with quote

perreira wrote:
Hi guys,

I've got the same problem, after emerge -u world I get a bad superblock...

Booting from Live-CD 1.4-rc1, chrooting, emerging gawk-3.1.1-r1 and reemerging baselayout did not help. Still get the same message. Would be nice to get help as my diploma-thesis is on that computer (yes, I know, unstable distributions are not a good Idea to write a thesis with...;-) )

Well, it can mean a HW failure. Or, perhaps it's something in the kernel that is the case of the errors. It's not unlikely some patches in the latest Gentoo kernel are causing some problems with ext2/3 fs. I wonder if the problems people are having started when the latest gentoo-sources came out? If so, that would be encouraging, because at least I'd have some idea that the problems are kernel, and not HW, related. I really can't afford a new HD now. :(
mgpeter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, the computer telling me that my root partition had a bad superblock, but it didn't.

I think the problem has to do with devfs or something because what I had to do was to go into the fstab and change all the /dev/hda's to /dev/discs/disc0/partX and also edit XF86config and point my mouse to /dev/misc/psaux.

All works, but the /dev directory doesn't have the basic stuff like /dev/hda, etc.

I will try to check it out more, but now I am going to downgrade my gawk and see if it will fix it.

UPDATE - After emerging the downgraded gawk, system did boot normally with /dev/hdaX in fstab, but I did get the symbolic link errors others were reporting. Then after I re-emerged baselayout, all of the symbolic link errors also went away. :D

I can't believe gawk could actually mess up a linux system like that :!:

Last edited by mgpeter on Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Hagar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well remerging gawk seems to do the trick, the portage tree is updated I saw so I guess this problem is over (for now anyway ;))

/me casts a spell to protect all users from such evil in times to come :P
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmmgentoo wrote:

I've got an HP Pavilion laptop. I ran the diagnostic tools, and the initial tests consistently flag my IDE HD as "failed". However, it does the same with my AGP controller, but not always, so I suspect the tests aren't reliable. When I do a series of advanced tests on my HD, I find that there are no errors. I've done the advanced test many times, and the HD consistently passes.

It definitely sounds like you have a hardware problem of some sort. As the HD passs advanced tests, but you are getting errors on the initial test and intermittent AGP problems, it sounds like the motherboard may be to blame, or possibly the memory (you can test this independently with memtest from www.memtest86.com). It might be worth replacing the HD cable as well, to see if that's the problem.

You could also check the HP website to see if there is an updated diagnostic suite available for download.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er.. so whats the verdict? Is it safe to emerge -u world yet? I just did an rsync and noticed tons of updates. Don't want to mess with it if its still trashing /dev and the other problems people are having. :|
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurid wrote:
Er.. so whats the verdict? Is it safe to emerge -u world yet? I just did an rsync and noticed tons of updates. Don't want to mess with it if its still trashing /dev and the other problems people are having. :|

well it looks like as of last night gawk updates were removed from portage. so check if there is a gawk update to some 3.1.2 version. If there is, do an emerge rsync and check again to see if it is still there.

Once there is no update to gawk 3.1.2-rX you should be OK to emerge -u world.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update:

I went ahead and did the emerge -u world noting that gawk was not in the list to be updated. Everything booted fine afterwards so I was thinking all was well. When I started X however, it said my mouse (usb) didn't exist. Looking in /dev there was no usbmouse entry, nor was there anything in /dev/input. I kinda freaked for a minute but then remember the directions I followed to get the mouse working under X in the Desktop Configuration Guide. So looking that over in Lynx (heh) I removed all usb related modules and reinserted them. Then unplugged the mouse and plugged it back in. /dev/usbmouse and /dev/input were as they should be and I've got X running just fine now.

I'm assuming this problem (minor one) is because devfsd is updated in the emerge as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: