Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] YAGT - Grub doesn't see sdb as hd1 at boot-time..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronjb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] YAGT - Grub doesn't see sdb as hd1 at boot-time.. Reply with quote

Yip, this is YAGT - Yet Another Grub Thread ;)

Now, I've searched around, naturally, and found lots of threads re: grub and SATA drives - but mostly those were the threads that I'd already used to get Gentoo up on my main desktop aeons ago (which is a configuration of PATA drive for Linux & SATA drive for Windows, which Grub map's to trick Windows into booting).

I've been putting together a Shuttle SK43G box as an HTPC, and up till now it's been running XP off a 300Gb SATA drive.

I decided (now that I've put a new video card in there and relegated the badly supported on-board UniChrome graphics card to the bin) that I'd try Gentoo on there again.

So I popped in a second 120Gb SATA drive as the primary (sda) and installed Gentoo.

So now my system looks like:

Code:

/dev/sda < Gentoo Linux, partitioned as:
  /dev/sda1     /boot
  /dev/sda5     /
  /dev/sda6     /var
  /dev/sda7     swap
  /dev/sda8     /home

/dev/sdb < Windows XP, partitioned as:
  /dev/sdb1     NTFS, bootable
  /dev/sdb5     NTFS, data partition

All goes fine - I install grub and soforth, and running grub-install /dev/sda created a device.map that contained:

Code:
# cat device.map
(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb

All's fine so far..

Sadly, upon rebooting and trying the Windows option in Grub, I'm presented with a 'drive not found' error.

Trying to find (hd1) via tab completion fails miserably too - so Grub can't see hd1 at all, only hd0 (where Linux is)

Now, for the time being I can boot Windows by flipping the boot order in the BIOS, so that's no biggie, but - it would be nice to just use Grub :)

So - am I right in thinking that Grub merely sees the drives as presented by the BIOS? Worth noting that the BIOS seems to detect the two drives fine (on IDE channels 3 & 4, in BIOS-speak), and they're not part of a RAID pair or anything like that, just two distinct drives.

Quite possible this is something peculiar to the BIOS on the Shuttle motherboard, just wondering if anyone has come across this before - as I certainly haven't, Grub has never given me an ounce of grief before now :)

Ta,
Aaron

Last edited by aaronjb on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does you grub.conf look like?
aaronjb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much ripped straight off the other box that works - and if Grub can't see (hd1) when it's in commandline mode, I'm not sure there's any changes that could be made.. but anyhoo:

Code:
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Windows XP Professional
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
chainloader +1

title=Gentoo 2.6.15-gentoo-r1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/sda5

cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: YAGT - Grub doesn't see sdb as hd1 at boot-time.. Reply with quote

aaronjb wrote:
So - am I right in thinking that Grub merely sees the drives as presented by the BIOS?

Yes.

Most BIOSes show all drives in the boot order, but it looks like yours only shows the first one. I don't know of any GRUB tricks to work around that. You just need to complain to the motherboard manufacturer about that, and see if they have a BIOS update to fix it.
aaronjb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: YAGT - Grub doesn't see sdb as hd1 at boot-time.. Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Yes.

Thought as much.. pah - rubbishy VIA motherboards :(

What a braindead bit of BIOS design, too - would neatly break all cross-drive bootloaders. Still, I shall go rant at Shuttle, and no doubt be summarily ignored ;)

Thanks,
Aaron
aaronjb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone has the same problem in the future and finds this post by searching:

The problem with Grub not detecting the second SATA hard drive ( hd1 ) on my Shuttle SK43G at boot time (there, think that's all the search keywords covered) was definitely down to the BIOS.

BIOS versions after FX43S410 (available from [url=ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/fx43g(sk43g)/]Shuttle's FTP site[/url]) have been fixed to present both SATA drives to the system via the BIOS when running in IDE (rather than RAID) mode.

Just remember to reset the CMOS data after flashing, otherwise (like me) you'll start to panic when the system no longer boots..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: