How is Gentoo organized?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
medaille
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: How is Gentoo organized? Reply with quote

Hi, I've been using Gentoo for a while now, but as I'm not a programmer, I haven't really delved into the developer side of gentoo. When I look at gentoo it seems like its really fragmented as far as organization is concerned. It seems like developers are working over here on one thing and developers are working over there on another thing. It seems like people are writing code for programs that would benefit from working together a bit, but aren't really communicating well.

Is there somewhere, where I can go to look at all of the gentoo exclusive programs/code that has been written and look at the features of that code? Obviously some of that would be official gentoo and some would be third party.

In the end, I would like to see a gentoo management program with some sort of UI that could be used to help maintain my gentoo system. What I've found that I don't like about gentoo is that it takes a lot of time for me to maintain it, but in the end I like the elegance of gentoo enough to not switch. It seems to me that a lot of the programs that have been written could be lumped together into one larger program (while still modularized) that would make it easier for newbies to find the tools that they could use to work on their system, but thats another issue.

So again, I'm just looking for a place where a list of all the gentoo tools and their descriptions have been stored.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How is Gentoo organized? Reply with quote

medaille wrote:
Hi, I've been using Gentoo for a while now, but as I'm not a programmer, I haven't really delved into the developer side of gentoo. When I look at gentoo it seems like its really fragmented as far as organization is concerned. It seems like developers are working over here on one thing and developers are working over there on another thing. It seems like people are writing code for programs that would benefit from working together a bit, but aren't really communicating well.

There is quite some communication happening in IRC, Mailinglists, Bugzilla. See http://www.gentoo.org for some links to the resources. There exist some projects as well, see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/index.xml?showlevel=2
Don't miss http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0039.html

medaille wrote:
Is there somewhere, where I can go to look at all of the gentoo exclusive programs/code that has been written and look at the features of that code? Obviously some of that would be official gentoo and some would be third party.

Some of it is accessible through http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ Notice the ability to change the Project root.

medaille wrote:
In the end, I would like to see a gentoo management program with some sort of UI that could be used to help maintain my gentoo system. What I've found that I don't like about gentoo is that it takes a lot of time for me to maintain it, but in the end I like the elegance of gentoo enough to not switch. It seems to me that a lot of the programs that have been written could be lumped together into one larger program (while still modularized) that would make it easier for newbies to find the tools that they could use to work on their system, but thats another issue.

Hm, I fail to see how the management of Gentoo as a distribution / open source project and the management of a Gentoo system via some central tool are related.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: How is Gentoo organized? Reply with quote

medaille wrote:
It seems like people are writing code for programs that would benefit from working together a bit, but aren't really communicating well.

That's because it's difficult :wink: But, software improves over time.

Quote:
In the end, I would like to see a gentoo management program with some sort of UI that could be used to help maintain my gentoo system. What I've found that I don't like about gentoo is that it takes a lot of time for me to maintain it, but in the end I like the elegance of gentoo enough to not switch.

The niche of Gentoo is to give users power and flexibility, at the price of higher user maintenance. There are other distros that focus on low user maintenance, and it's not realistically achievable (and thus not worthwhile to attempt) for Gentoo to emulate them. It's better for Gentoo to focus on being superb in its niche :)
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of this sounds more like co-operation between different open-source projects rather than specific problems with Gentoo specific projects.
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Gentoo organized?

1) Larry the Cow has an idea.
2) We all sit by the fire and listen to Larry.
3) Profit!
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanquirius wrote:
How is Gentoo organized?

1) Larry the Cow has an idea.
2) We all sit by the fire and listen to Larry.
3) Profit!

You forgot the smores and beer! no one should forget the smores

3-8 SMORES!!!!
9-15 Beer/alcohol
16) Profit
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have mentioned smores. I'm starving. I won't take a look at any bug that hits my mailbox now ;-).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: