Backing up system to multiple DVDs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayqazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Backing up system to multiple DVDs Reply with quote

Hi,

Anybody here have experience backup their whole system to a set of DVDs (i.e. using growisofs)? Pray tell - I found the tool 'scdbackup' at http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/, but it's not in portage (yet), I was just wondering what other solutions are out there.

I thought of using tar --multi-volume, since that seems built for the job - but I'm not sure how I can get tar and growisofs to interact in a way that would cause tar to output the archive into growisofs several times (i.e. whenever a 'insert new tape' command is given, how to carry on the backup in a new invocation of growisofs with a new blank DVD.)

Thoughts? Thanks
Asfand Yar
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a command-line tool called dar (as well as a KDE frontend called kdar) that is made for this purpose. I've been using this combo for a while -- they make it very easy to backup to multiple DVDs. Both of these programs are in portage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: