Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[__ dead nitro thread __]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heil Hitler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to give it a try, will it actually break any of the iptables functionality?
CybeRDukE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it breaks any iptalbes functionality, as shorewall works fine so far and packets are marked by command name.
It's more a problem with dependencies caused by the command-match configuration and it's not an issue with the iptables code itself.
lancelott
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering a little on how to get the best performance out of nitro.

I'm coming from archck fed up with slowness. I'm not really sure if it will help or not. But I was using Reiser4 w/ anticipatory and no preempt. Even with SCHED_BATCH'd portage stuff, when portage stuff ran, the whole system was really slow, especially with big apps like QT4.

Just some general specs:

Abit NF7-S
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ @ 2.14GHz
256MB PC2100 RAM @ >333MHz
Nvidia Geforce2 MX 400 w/ 64MB SDRAM @ 235/195
Maxtor 30GB 7200RPM 2MB Cache HDD

Software side:

~x86
Reiser4 1.0.5
GCC 4.0.2 / Binutils 2.16.1-r1 / Glibc 2.3.6-r3 w/ omitfp and nptlonly
Xorg7
KDE 3.5.1

CFLAGS (now) are CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -Os -fno-ident -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe", used to use CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -fno-ident -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe" but I heard Athlon XPs worked better with -Os because of smaller cache as compared to P4s, and so I switched to that in both make.conf and my kernel config.

As you can probably tell I have a need to push my system to the limit and to use the latest and greatest software. But anyway, I'm hoping with this info someone could help me get the most out of nitro. Because having old hardware that feels like old hardware just isn't any fun... I'm probably going to try some experimental stuff like GCC 4.1 and stuff because I use Azureus and it'd probably help me out to have it native with GCJ.

EDIT: One thing I'm noticing that I haven't before is that when I click on different links in Konqueror it starts using a lot more CPU (as high as 15% or so) and seems less responsive than it was on my last kernel. What could this be?
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iptables problem is due to my flawed config. just remove the select lines for now. although
the depends are not all there if you do it, it should work well if you select iptables and then owner match support before command and pid/sid mathing.
I'll revert back to the normal behaviour as most people already figured the Xtables issue (the select lines were __SUPPOSED__ to make the transition more flawless, but i think i messed up a little ;) )

cheers,

T

PS: lancelott: just use the nitro-optimized setting for slice values. The KDE hang seems to be KDE related, as lags don't seem to appear on other WMs.

PS: sorry that i don't support for now, but i'm at rebuilding my system
so it might last a little until i get out of the console-land... ;)
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancelot: A kernel can only do so much for you. Your problem is ram. More ram will do you more good than any kernel modifications.

It is worth noting, however, that SCHED_BATCH is different in the 2.6.16-rc -ck based patchsets. You need new schedtools (v1.2.6) and use the new SCHED_IDLEPRIO instead.
tuam
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancelott wrote:
I'm coming from archck fed up with slowness.

<snip>

256MB PC2100 RAM @ >333MHz

You might experience a lot of swapping with that RAM. :? Consider at least doubling it.

FF,

Daniel
TRx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: DSDT ACPI Patch Reply with quote

candrews wrote:
Could you add the DSDT patch to the kernel? I submit this Gentoo forum posting for your reference: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122145

BTW - *Outstanding* patchset

I strongly second that (ACPI battery status errors are killing me badly).

DSDT patch was removed after 2.6.14-nitro2, but i don't know exactly why :(. Tiger, any chance to put it back?
GNU/Linux registered user #333828
lancelott
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with idleprio things aren't much better. In fact, it's about the same.

This kernel isn't stable at all. I thought it was originally due to -Os, but I tried -O2 and both still caused Konqueror to crash twice. After the crash, it is impossible to start Konqueror again. Even more than this... If I do alt-F2 and start Firefox, the run command thing freezes up and after I terminate that I'm left with a black background as my desktop.

Is this a config issue or is the kernel itself just...crashy? I might try your 2.6.15-based kernel to see if that's any better. This is just not much fun.
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancelott wrote:

This kernel isn't stable at all. I thought it was originally due to -Os, but I tried -O2 and both still caused Konqueror to crash twice. After the crash, it is impossible to start Konqueror again. Even more than this... If I do alt-F2 and start Firefox, the run command thing freezes up and after I terminate that I'm left with a black background as my desktop.

Is this a config issue or is the kernel itself just...crashy? I might try your 2.6.15-based kernel to see if that's any better. This is just not much fun.

That does not remotely sound like a config issue. There is no "make my kernel crashy" config. Not -Os, not -O2, not "no forced inlining". You are having other issues. Check dmesg for any strange output. As for slowness I think you're still limited by your ram.
lancelott
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollucks wrote:
lancelott wrote:

That does not remotely sound like a config issue. There is no "make my kernel crashy" config. Not -Os, not -O2, not "no forced inlining". You are having other issues. Check dmesg for any strange output. As for slowness I think you're still limited by your ram.

Well, I switched to 2.6.15-nitro3 and it seems 100% stable. No crashes of any app, at least yet. I might just wait until there's an rc4 or final nitro build, then I'll check dmesg if it still occurs. I'm using the same kernel config as I did with 2.6.16, but I did make oldconfig and tweaked a few things as well. So the kernel config isn't the issue.
The_P
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problems to get fbsplash working with this kernel. When the kernel is loaded the splash is not loaded. It only loads with the init script very late in the boot process. I can't give a lot of information because I have no information. There aren't any error messages. Should there be something related to the splash in dmesg? I can't find anything in my dmesg. I used a lot of different kernel options but nothing works.

This is my grub entry:

Quote:

title Gentoo 2.6.16-rc3-nitro1
root (hd0,4)
kernel /kernel-2.6.16-rc3-nitro1 ro root=/dev/sda7 quiet splash=silent,fadein,theme:GoGentooGo video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:1,1024x768-32 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 hdc=noprobe processor.max_cstate=3 resume2=swap:/dev/sda6
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/fbsplash-GoGentooGo-1024x768

A part of my dmesg
Quote:

vesafb: ATI Technologies Inc., CP24, 01.00 (OEM: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 )
vesafb: VBE version: 2.0
vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:5b55
vesafb: pmi: set display start = c00c5bc3, set palette = c00c5bfd
vesafb: pmi: ports = 3010 3016 3054 3038 303c 305c 3000 3004 30b0 30b2 30b4
vesafb: no monitor limits have been set
vesafb: scrolling: ywrap using protected mode interface, yres_virtual=1536
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xc0000000, mapped to 0xe0900000, using 6144k, total 65472k
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
CybeRDukE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered another problem with iptalbes command matching. I want to mark packets of azureus for later traffic shaping, so i matched the java command and assigned a mark for that. But almost always when I close azureus, my system totally freezes. Took me a long time to find out, that command matching is the reason for that, as no logging output has been created. Perhaps azureus closes right in the middle of the matching-function and the kernel reads data that no longer exists. But that just a thought...

However, in case someone else has similar problems, here's my workaround:
add yourself to the p2p group and use group-matching instead of command matching. Then start azureus -or whatever you need- by invoking
Code:
sg p2p -c azureus
dritan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi...
just tried out the latest sources and since i recently had a gcc upgrade so decided to re-compile the ati-drivers so that thery are under the same gcc (4.1.0-pre20060223), but the package fails to compile and giving me this error message
Code:
* Installing fglrx module
install: cannot stat `fglrx.ko': No such file or directory

!!! ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.22.5 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1928:   Called dyn_install
  ebuild.sh, line 1062:   Called src_install
  ati-drivers-8.22.5.ebuild, line 176:   Called linux-mod_src_install

!!! doins fglrx.ko failed

it compiles fine on previouse kernel (gentoo-2.6.15-r1), i think the error is simillar to those ieee issues posted here in this post, i haven't tried the built-in radeon driver but don't suppose it will work as I'm using a r370 based X600 PCIe, while the vesa works fine...now my question is: is it just me or has someone else also failed on this?

Please try to help answer the unanswered
SchAmane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# uname -a
Linux schamane 2.6.16-rc5-nitro1 #1 PREEMPT Thu Mar 2 15:32:02 CET 2006 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ GNU/Linux

Mutex looks realy interesting...
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollucks wrote:
lancelot: A kernel can only do so much for you. Your problem is ram. More ram will do you more good than any kernel modifications.

It is worth noting, however, that SCHED_BATCH is different in the 2.6.16-rc -ck based patchsets. You need new schedtools (v1.2.6) and use the new SCHED_IDLEPRIO instead.

what exactly is the use of these tools??? I don't even have them installed on my machine.........
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sobers_2002 wrote:
bollucks wrote:

what exactly is the use of these tools??? I don't even have them installed on my machine.........

In the same way you use the 'nice' tool to make things run lower priority, on -ck based patchsets you can set them to extreme low priority (SCHED_IDLEPRIO) which uses up _no_ cpu if anything else at all uses cpu. Also you can set pseudo real time high priority (without being root) by setting them SCHED_ISO.
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SchAmane wrote:
Code:
# uname -a
Linux schamane 2.6.16-rc5-nitro1 #1 PREEMPT Thu Mar 2 15:32:02 CET 2006 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ GNU/Linux

Mutex looks realy interesting...

It's -rc3, not -rc5 :roll:
PS: conversion to mutex is more of an ideologically-theoretical correction to match the actual locking fashion within the kernel than a performance boost....
Don't get caught on placebo ;)
SchAmane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger683 wrote:

It's -rc3, not -rc5 :roll:
PS: conversion to mutex is more of an ideologically-theoretical correction to match the actual locking fashion within the kernel than a performance boost....
Don't get caught on placebo ;)

No, i have realy -rc5. I wrote own nitro patchset based on 2.6.16-rc5-git6 yesterday. Host runs about 24hours now without any problems. I discovered even some better responsibility from my desktop with high load.
I adopted standard nitro patches to rc5-git6 and included all sem2mutex patches from -mm1.
Do i have permition to make own patchset with nitro name ?
Actualy i compiled it without suspend2 support ( It should to be fixed),there are also other compilation error jet i am working on. I have no detailed description yet.

Last edited by SchAmane on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
dritan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i took metalshark's advice and upgraded to xorg-7 and used some cflags from his make.conf and ati-drivers now compiles fine against the 2.6.16-nitro...i still don't know what solved the compiling problem but i will find out and post the specific flags here...(huge thanks to metalshark :))

Although the drivers compiled successfully i still cannot startx...when using the fglrx or the kernel radeon drivers it says "No matching Device Section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found" besides that it fails to load the dri and drm modules...claiming that they do not exist, but i think this could very well be some mistake on my xorg.conf...as i'm not too familiar about the xorg-7's config(there seems to be many changes), if it is possible can someone email me any working xorg.conf with ati cards? mine is a r380 X600 Radeon...the email address is dritan30@hotmail.com or dritan30@gmail.com, please PM me if you do so i can check...thanks in advance

EDIT: hmm...it seems like a 100% xorg issue as it does not start with the gentoo-sources which worked fine at xorg-6.8...i'd probably look for a xorg-7 specific post to try to solve this...but of course...if someone could help me from here i'd be more than happy :)

Please try to help answer the unanswered
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error 404 - directory to download from seems not to exist any longer - could you please pick an alternative mirror? Thanks.
zapata
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@C0in3D

two posts above is a working mirror!
WuDDjA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't start nvsound module after merge.

WARNING: //lib/modules/2.6.16-rc3-nitro1/misc/nvsound.ko needs unknown symbol remap_page_range
RaZoR1394
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newest splashutils doesn't build with this kernel:

Quote:

CC daemon.o
In file included from daemon.c:27:
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:801: error: syntaxfel före "kernel_ulong_t"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:801: varning: inget semikolon vid slutet av struktur eller union
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:805: error: syntaxfel före "evbit"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:805: error: "BITS_PER_LONG" odeklarerad här (inte i en funktion)
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:805: varning: datadefinition har ingen typ eller lagringsklass
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:806: error: syntaxfel före "keybit"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:806: varning: datadefinition har ingen typ eller lagringsklass
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:807: error: syntaxfel före "relbit"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:807: varning: datadefinition har ingen typ eller lagringsklass
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:808: error: syntaxfel före "absbit"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:808: varning: datadefinition har ingen typ eller lagringsklass
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:809: error: syntaxfel före "mscbit"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:809: varning: datadefinition har ingen typ eller lagringsklass
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:810: error: syntaxfel före "ledbit"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:810: varning: datadefinition har ingen typ eller lagringsklass
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:811: error: syntaxfel före "sndbit"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:811: varning: datadefinition har ingen typ eller lagringsklass
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:812: error: syntaxfel före "ffbit"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:812: varning: datadefinition har ingen typ eller lagringsklass
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:813: error: syntaxfel före "swbit"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:813: varning: datadefinition har ingen typ eller lagringsklass
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:815: error: syntaxfel före "driver_info"
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:815: varning: datadefinition har ingen typ eller lagringsklass
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:805: error: storage size of `evbit' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:806: error: storage size of `keybit' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:807: error: storage size of `relbit' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:808: error: storage size of `absbit' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:809: error: storage size of `mscbit' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:810: error: storage size of `ledbit' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:811: error: storage size of `sndbit' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:812: error: storage size of `ffbit' isn't known
/var/tmp/portage/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1/work/splashutils-1.1.9.10/linux/include/linux/input.h:813: error: storage size of `swbit' isn't known
make: *** [daemon.o] Fel 1

!!! ERROR: media-gfx/splashutils-1.1.9.10-r1 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1933: Called dyn_compile
ebuild.sh, line 971: Called src_compile

!!! failed to build splashutils

zapata
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to compile kernel-2.6.15-rc5-nitro1, but it dosn´t work. I recieve following error:

Code:
[root@zapata] /usr/src/linux (4,6G free) # make && make modules_install
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  CHK     usr/initramfs_list
  CC      drivers/acpi/processor_perflib.o
drivers/acpi/processor_perflib.c: In function `acpi_processor_register_performance':
drivers/acpi/processor_perflib.c:568: Fehler: »performance_sem« nicht deklariert (erste Benutzung in dieser Funktion)
drivers/acpi/processor_perflib.c:568: Fehler: (Jeder nicht deklarierte Bezeichner wird nur einmal aufgeführt
drivers/acpi/processor_perflib.c:568: Fehler: für jede Funktion in der er auftritt.)
drivers/acpi/processor_perflib.c: In function `acpi_processor_unregister_performance':
drivers/acpi/processor_perflib.c:609: Fehler: »performance_sem« nicht deklariert (erste Benutzung in dieser Funktion)
make[2]: *** [drivers/acpi/processor_perflib.o] Fehler 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/acpi] Fehler 2
make: *** [drivers] Fehler 2

can someone help?
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry

Last edited by Tiger683 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: