Help with VDR and decoder-less card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodOrange
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Help with VDR and decoder-less card Reply with quote

I have a budget dvb-t card and I want to set up VDR. I beleive I need a vdr-plugin to provide soft decoder for display. Softdevice seems to be the recommended solution. It's not in portage IIRC. I've read the VDR wiki entry http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Softdevice-plugin and it mentions that, if used with the matrox cards, offers a lower cpu utilisation. Problem is I haven't a clue how to procede :cry:

So far I have:
matrox g400 running xorg ok.
I have matrox framebuffer built into my kernel and running @ 1280x1024 (native resolution of my tft screen).
I left out v4l and dvb from my kernel then built the dvb modules from v4l-dvb-cvs so as to get support for my card (Kworld DVB-T PCI). I've emerged linuxtv-dvb-apps, rebuilt xine and can view the dvb-t channels ok.
Now I want to setup VDR. I'm looking for advice on what I need to do, prior to building the softdevice plugin, for it to take full advantage of the matrox card. Do I use DirectFB, xvmc? What use flags might I need to change, either globally or ebuild specific? Last but not least, is softdevice the best option for decoderless card?
Many thanks for any advice.
tHeoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I want to setup VDR. I'm looking for advice on what I need to do, prior to building the softdevice plugin, for it to take full advantage of the matrox card. Do I use DirectFB, xvmc? What use flags might I need to change, either globally or ebuild specific? Last but not least, is softdevice the best option for decoderless card?

1. setup gentoo-de portage overlay. See here for how to do that http://www.gentoo.de/main/de/downloads.xml
2. emerge vdr (add it to /etc/portage/package.keywords as ~x86)
3. emerge vdr-softdevice (add to package.keywords as ~x86 too)
4. If you use softdevice, which indeed seems the easiest way to go to take full advantage of the matrox card, you don't seem to need special xine or X configs. Only the framebuffer is needed. Unfortunately, I'm using a decoderless card with vdr-xine because that gives me xxmc support for my unichrome graphics chip.
5. Look at www.vdr-portal.de for more information on how to configure softdevice.
BodOrange
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tHeoo wrote:
1. setup gentoo-de portage overlay. See here for how to do that http://www.gentoo.de/main/de/downloads.xml
2. emerge vdr (add it to /etc/portage/package.keywords as ~x86)
3. emerge vdr-softdevice (add to package.keywords as ~x86 too)
4. If you use softdevice, which indeed seems the easiest way to go to take full advantage of the matrox card, you don't seem to need special xine or X configs. Only the framebuffer is needed. Unfortunately, I'm using a decoderless card with vdr-xine because that gives me xxmc support for my unichrome graphics chip.
5. Look at www.vdr-portal.de for more information on how to configure softdevice.

Thanks. An ebuild for softdevice should simpify things for me. Compiling it with vdr seems quite involved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: