Recording TV
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Recording TV Reply with quote

Is there an application that will allow me to schedule recorings for TV shows (with a TV tuner), but not take the whole computer like mythTV?
Something that runs in the background (as a daemon not connected to X), and a client (the same way MPD works) is along the lines of what I'm thinking
Something running in X (KDE's System Tray) would be OK, but sometimes X crashes and that would stop the recordings

It would be great if it could get TV shedules automatically and record shows for the whole season, but that might be pushing it a little...

I have found apps to watch TV (xawtv), record TV (cat /dev/video0), but none to schedule recordings while in the background

-palmem
Crapo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the freevo recordserver could be what you're looking for. There are 2 parts in freevo : the front end (equivalent to mythtv) and a recordserver, running in the background, manageable from a web based interface, that supports TV schedules (updated through XMLTV). I even think that there is a notion of seasons in it. It seems to cover most of your requirements except the system tray ;-)
Good luck.
phsdv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythtv does not nessecary take the whole computer. Recordings can be done in the backend when you start mythbackend:
Code:
/etc/init.d/mythbackend start
Besides that you can start the frontend within a (smaller) window for example:
Code:
mythfrontend -geometry 640x480
pgolik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Recording TV Reply with quote

palmem wrote:
Is there an application that will allow me to schedule recorings for TV shows (with a TV tuner), but not take the whole computer like mythTV?

gv4l http://gv4l.sourceforge.net/ is a good lightweight gtk GUI for recording tv using transcode and cron for scheduling. It does the job quite well, but it's been removed from portage as it has some serious problems with security. I wouldn't use it on a multi-user machine or one that is connected directly to the network, but if you decide that the risk it poses is acceptable on your multimedia PC then givce it a try. Here is the description of the security issue. It's a real shame, as it is the only app for recording TV that actually works for me. Shalvideo http://shalvideo.sourceforge.net looks good, but it's not in portage and I couldn't get it to work on my system (could be an amd64 problem).
Pawel
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using freevo since some months, it's exactly what you wanted plus a bit more: it doesn't need
an external db for xmltv listings. You need to enter freevo to schedule recordings (for every episode),
but then you can exit and do whathever you want provided you're running the recordserver (exactly the daemon
you want) in background. Recordserver takes no cpu-time until the record starts (recording cpu used may vary
from the method you use, I get 50% of my sempron 3100+ recording 640x480@25fps in lavc mpeg4 vhq).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: