UTF-8 on the console... still haven't quite figured it out
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GetCool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: UTF-8 on the console... still haven't quite figured it out Reply with quote

I've spent a couple of days on this now, and I still don't have a fully working solution. Basically, what I am trying to do is to be able to view and input a few non-US-English Latin characters in both Xorg and the Linux console. I am a US English user but I have occasional need for other Western European characters (é, ö, etc.).

I couldn't get anything to display properly on the console without using UTF-8, so I following the Gentoo UTF-8 guide to convert to UTF-8. Here's what I did, in summary:

/etc/env.d/02locale:
Code:
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"

kernel menuconfig:
Code:
File Systems -->
  Native Language Support -->
    (utf8) Default NLS Option
    <*> NLS UTF8

/etc/rc.conf:
Code:
UNICODE="yes"

/etc/conf.d/keymaps:
(left this one at the default value)
Code:
KEYMAP="us"

/etc/conf.d/consolefont:
(I chose this font since it has a unicode mapping)
Code:
CONSOLEFONT="LatArCyrHeb-16"

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Code:
Option     "XkbLayout" "en_US"

Results: Everything works perfectly in Xorg (using rxvt-unicode), including the use of the right alt modifier key to input accented characters, etc. The console, however, is still only half-working.

It's better now that I set CONSOLEFONT to LatArCyrHeb-16 (I can now see these characters properly), but I can't input anything. For a while I was using LeftAlt+[decimal #] to input a certain character, but that only sometimes works with only a few characters. Furthermore, when I do successfully input a certain character (é, for example), it doesn't seem to "match up" to the real UTF-8 character (giving me errors when I try to issue commands on files).

Am I missing something?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: