http://people.freedesktop.org/~davidr/mesa-6.4.2-dri-copy-sub-buffer-1.patch

just modify the ebuild and add the patch

after that, i copy the i915 dri driver on an temp directory

and after that, recompile mesa cvs ,xgl,compiz

i use the "intel_copy_pixel" use flag

and recopy the mesa 4.2 i915driver

it's fast as on my radeon 9800 ;)

good job davidr ;)

how much fps do you make with glxgears using xgl?
thanks
CoffeeBuzz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPiRiTs wrote:
yeah, it's works for me with my i915 :)

and now it's fast !!!

i have compiled mesa 4.2 with GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer patch found on here:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~davidr/mesa-6.4.2-dri-copy-sub-buffer-1.patch

just modify the ebuild and add the patch

after that, i copy the i915 dri driver on an temp directory

and after that, recompile mesa cvs ,xgl,compiz

i use the "intel_copy_pixel" use flag

and recopy the mesa 4.2 i915driver

it's fast as on my radeon 9800 ;)

good job davidr ;)

if this works i'll toss in an ebuild for mesa6.4.2 with the patch. i wonder if i can automate mesa-6.5.0 to compile 6.4.2 first, copy the driver, then checkout 6.5.0, and copy the driver back. should be possible.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoffeeBuzz wrote:

if this works i'll toss in an ebuild for mesa6.4.2 with the patch. i wonder if i can automate mesa-6.5.0 to compile 6.4.2 first, copy the driver, then checkout 6.5.0, and copy the driver back. should be possible.

Here's the patch to Mesa 6.4.2 ebuild:

Code:

--- mesa-6.4.2-r2.ebuild.orig   2006-03-12 14:48:51.000000000 -0330
+++ mesa-6.4.2-r2.ebuild     2006-03-19 14:06:36.000000000 -0330
@@ -91,6 +91,7 @@
        epatch ${FILESDIR}/6.4-multilib-fix.patch
        epatch ${FILESDIR}/64bit-fix-have-dix-config.patch
        epatch ${FILESDIR}/64bit-fix-indirect-vertex-array.patch
+       epatch ${FILESDIR}/mesa-6.4.2-dri-copy-sub-buffer-1.patch

# Problem triggered by croquet 0.3 - bug #125004
        epatch ${FILESDIR}/radeon-texture-problem.patch

I'd simply add a copy of the Mesa 6.4.2 to your overlay, patch the ebuild as above.

Let people decide if/when they need to compile Mesa 6.4.2-r2.

Here's what I did. I installed Mesa 6.4.2-r2 with my patch. I then did a "quickpkg mesa" and it saved to /usr/portage/packages. Now I install as per the install scrpt and/or wiki. After all packages have been installed I execute the following:

Code:

cd /
tar -jxf /usr/portage/packages/All/mesa-6.4.2-r2.tbz2 ./usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/i915_dri.so

The above assumes you made a quickpkg of Mesa, and that the file is named: mesa-6.4.2-r2.tbz2.

Unless you use a package to clean your distfiles, this will hang around. If you use a package like dep or yacleaner, be careful, as they may delete any packages in distfiles.

Anyway, your mileage may vary with this technique.

Here's the script I use to automate rebuilding Xgl and packages (modified emxgl script for Intel/Other):

Code:

#/bin/bash

rm -rf /usr/portage/distfiles/cvs-src/*
rm -rf /var/tmp/portage/{glproto*,xgl*,mesa*,glitz*,compiz*,cairo*}

cd /usr/local/xgl-portage
svn up

emerge glproto
emerge mesa

cd /
tar -jxf /usr/portage/packages/All/mesa-6.4.2-r2.tbz2 ./usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/i915_dri.so

eselect opengl set xorg-x11

emerge glitz
emerge --oneshot cairo
emerge xgl compiz

Using the script above, I never have to remember to emerge one package before another, etc. Essentially, anytime I want to try the latest SVN I run this script. Of course, I periodically quickpkg the files just in case so I can revert back.

I've also found that if you don't update everything, things may be unstable. Better safe than sorry.

I've also tried the xf86-video-i810 in the overlay. If you use that, then you do NOT copy back the i915_dri.so file. THe driver still appears to be broken. Either that, or it's xorg-server and it's use of Mesa 6.4.2. With this driver, I get some errors: "libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual ...". DRI says it's working, and indeed it appears to be, but limited. Some SDL apps either do not work or flicker horribly. Standard desktop appears fine.

Also, my frame rate drops in glxgears from 700+ to ~500.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed the updated xorg-server + other stuff in overlay coffeebuzz.

Got xorg-server updated. No issues thus far.

Tried updating the xf86-video-i810 and Mesa from overlay. Still got the same issue below:

Code:

name of display: :0.0
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes

I get flickering in some of my full screen SDL based games (Neverwinter Nights) and this makes it annoying.

Other than that, it seems to be ok. FPS still dropped from 760 to 560 in Glxgears. Not too concerned, however, with the error above, I'm sure there's something still broken.

Anyone have suggestions on where to look?

EDIT:

My bad. I should have tested Xgl + compiz before I posted this... craps out... will investigate further...
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was attempting to install x11-drm from the overlay, and it appears as if it could use a tweak as I had CONFIG_DRM=m set, and the ebuild wouldn't pass unless I deleted that line from my kernel config file.

Here is a better patch to check instead for CONFIG_DRM being builtin.

Code:

--- x11-drm-20060323.ebuild     2006-03-22 02:56:15.000000000 -0330
+++ x11-drm-20060323.ebuild.new 2006-03-22 02:55:02.000000000 -0330
@@ -35,14 +35,20 @@
 DEPEND="virtual/linux-sources
        >=sys-apps/portage-2.0.49-r13"

-CONFIG_CHECK="!DRM"
-ERROR_DRM="Please disable or modularize DRM in the kernel config. (CONFIG_DRM = n or m)"
-
 MODULES_LIBDIR="/drivers/char/drm"

pkg_setup() {
        linux-mod_pkg_setup

+       if linux_chkconfig_builtin "DRM"
+       then
+               echo
+               ewarn "DRM support is built into your kernel config. Please disable "
+               ewarn "or modularize (CONFIG_DRM=n or CONFIG_DRM=m) and rebuild kernel."
+               echo
+               die "Build killed due to Kernel config problem. Check warn above."
+       fi
+
        if ! linux_chkconfig_present "AGP"
        then
                einfo "AGP support is not enabled in your kernel config."

Seems to work happily now.
Peregrine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to get this working as well, with no luck.

Hardware: Dell GX220
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller (rev 04)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82915G Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller (rev 04)

glxinfo from a shell gives:
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915G 20050225 x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 6.4.2

Using the latest Coffee overlay.

The Xgl window opens ok, but I get a black screen when I try and load compiz. Maybe unrelated, but I fired up xterm in the Xgl window (nothing else loaded into it) and ran glxinfo. The relevant lines I got back were:

direct rendering: no
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.5)

Wonder if this may have anything to do with it? I also tried running glxgears, however the image was distorted (looks like I was zoomed into part of a gear) and I was getting 167 FPS. glxgears in native gives 1174 FPS

Any ideas?
x.para
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fallen down. Some time I stayed on my almost working revision 78. I had flickering when moving windows but other things were ok. Yesterday I decided to try move towards better future but I end up with this situation:

- non working compiz either at all (not possible to fire up with message no managed screens found)
or compiz is loaded with black screen effect as described one post above.
- also fonts are destroyed.

It looks and behaves like copy_intel_pixel USE flag is not implemented. I belive it is and using that, but I remember this bevaviour in the past when it wasn't present.

I am still trying to use i915 drives from http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots, but not sure if they copy coffee's development.

Here is my versions list:[/list]

Code:

x11-proto/glproto 1.4.6_p20060317
x11-libs/cairo 1.1.1_alpha20060216
media-libs/glitz  0.5.4_alpha20060223
x11-libs/libdrm 2.1_alpha20060313
media-libs/mesa 6.5.0_alpha20060322-r1
x11-misc/xwinwrap 1.1.1_alpha20060318
x11-base/xgl 0.0.1_alpha20060322
x11-wm/compiz 0.0.7_p20060321-r1
x11-base/xorg-server 1.0.2

Would some know what changed in last Coffee overlay that messed it up?
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x.para wrote:
I fallen down. Some time I stayed on my almost working revision 78. I had flickering when moving windows but other things were ok. Yesterday I decided to try move towards better future but I end up with this situation:

- non working compiz either at all (not possible to fire up with message no managed screens found)
or compiz is loaded with black screen effect as described one post above.
- also fonts are destroyed.

It looks and behaves like copy_intel_pixel USE flag is not implemented. I belive it is and using that, but I remember this bevaviour in the past when it wasn't present.

I am still trying to use i915 drives from http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots, but not sure if they copy coffee's development.

Here is my versions list:[/list]

Code:

x11-proto/glproto 1.4.6_p20060317
x11-libs/cairo 1.1.1_alpha20060216
media-libs/glitz  0.5.4_alpha20060223
x11-libs/libdrm 2.1_alpha20060313
media-libs/mesa 6.5.0_alpha20060322-r1
x11-misc/xwinwrap 1.1.1_alpha20060318
x11-base/xgl 0.0.1_alpha20060322
x11-wm/compiz 0.0.7_p20060321-r1
x11-base/xorg-server 1.0.2

Would some know what changed in last Coffee overlay that messed it up?

I couldn't get the snapshots working, and instead have reverted to the overlay x11-drm, libdrm and use the portage xf86-video-i810 and copy a patched version of the Mesa 6.4.2 i915_drv.so over the installed Mesa 6.5.0 version. This gives predictable results, but no DRI for 855GME card. THe newer xf86-video-i810 driver is still broken with the newer Mesa, libdrm, x11-drm, etc.
x.para
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buf. I found the trick. I started xgl under already opened standard X and it looks really good. Also flickering when moving windows has gone so I can enjoy the feature now :D.

I haven't done enything else that re-emerged all again after svn up to revison 106.

anyway thanks roderick.
Peregrine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working :D I still had the paint patch USE flag set. It works pretty well, although I can't rotate via the mouse. Ctrl-Alt-Left & Right works, however, for rotating the cube. I also updated xorg-server to the latest version in the coffee overlay, which might have also helped.

Speed isn't too bad - glxgears now runs at about 1/5th of the native speed (~230 fps compared to ~1100 fps), but thats probably because glxinfo is showing 'direct rendering: no'

Has anyone tried with KDE yet? I'm debating about compiling qt4 just so I can test it.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peregrine wrote:
Got it working :D I still had the paint patch USE flag set. It works pretty well, although I can't rotate via the mouse. Ctrl-Alt-Left & Right works, however, for rotating the cube. I also updated xorg-server to the latest version in the coffee overlay, which might have also helped.

Speed isn't too bad - glxgears now runs at about 1/5th of the native speed (~230 fps compared to ~1100 fps), but thats probably because glxinfo is showing 'direct rendering: no'

Has anyone tried with KDE yet? I'm debating about compiling qt4 just so I can test it.

I have it running with KDE. Use the updated startxgl script in the overlay and specify as follows:

Code:

./startxgl 1 kde

or if you are using ati card:

Code:

./startxgl 1 kde ati

This will start on display 1. KDE in compiz is still not finished, so you still use gnome-window-decorator (kde-window-decorator is still only a shell and incomplete).

Do not startxgl for the same account in an already open X-session as KDE may get confused. Best to start with xdm stopped. Better safe.

Other than that, it works fine for me. DRI is still a sore spot. I haven't gotten direct rendering working with the i810 driver and Mesa. I have to revert to version 6.4.2 of Mesa's i915_drv.so and use xf86-video-i810 to get a sensible display. Still working on it though.
Peregrine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked out quite well - slow because of the render issue (I915M) but was even able to rotate via the mouse under KDE. Task list and pager were having issues, although I guess they are linked (i only display tasks for the current desktop, so if it can't work out what the current desktop is ..) The only confusing part is that it seemed that konqueror hung when I tried to start it - didn't spend too much time on it, however, as was needing to work on some other things.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peregrine wrote:
That worked out quite well - slow because of the render issue (I915M) but was even able to rotate via the mouse under KDE. Task list and pager were having issues, although I guess they are linked (i only display tasks for the current desktop, so if it can't work out what the current desktop is ..) The only confusing part is that it seemed that konqueror hung when I tried to start it - didn't spend too much time on it, however, as was needing to work on some other things.

You need the patch for kdelibs for the systewm tray. I had similar issues as some apps autostart in system tray and without the patch they go into a blocked state and konqueror won't load until all other apps are completed their loading.

There's a patched kdelibs included in the overlay (it includes the patch ksystemtray-xgl.patch). If you have an unpatched kdelibs, then use this one from the overlay. If you already have a overlay with kdelibs in it, then just include the patch in your overlay files directory and add the appropriate epatch line to activate it.

Also, for the task switcher issue, you probably want to rebuild compiz and enable the USE flag "switch_all_desktops".

Hope this helps.
Peregrine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - i'm using 3.5.0 atm (haven't got around to moving to 3.5.1) but I had made my own overlay with the ksystemtray-xgl.patch. I may just upgrade to kde 3.5.1 anyway.

Re: task switcher - I just checked and I did have that flag set.

Thanks for the help - looks like theres been some minor changes in CVS for the i810 xorg driver, although they don't look like they change too much (just removing a wrapper)
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peregrine wrote:
Hmm - i'm using 3.5.0 atm (haven't got around to moving to 3.5.1) but I had made my own overlay with the ksystemtray-xgl.patch. I may just upgrade to kde 3.5.1 anyway.

Re: task switcher - I just checked and I did have that flag set.

Thanks for the help - looks like theres been some minor changes in CVS for the i810 xorg driver, although they don't look like they change too much (just removing a wrapper)

If you have any issues, and have all the latest builds and correct use flags, then you may simply need to rebuild all those packages in the correct order again to ensure all the correct version of libs, etc were used. When I end up with problems, that usually fixes it for me.

Good rule of thumb, if you update mesa, then update glitz, cairo, and xgl immediately after and then compiz. Usually resolves issues.
x.para
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi can you post what xorg-server version should be emerged and also other packages versions? I currently have xorg-server 1.0.2, tried to compile 1.0.99 but getting compilig error. My problem is that I can not start Xgl+compiz+gnome or kde other way than from already started normal X. I know this is wrong procedure but don't have any other way to do it now.
scrop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x.para wrote:
Hi can you post what xorg-server version should be emerged and also other packages versions?

Yes, please; this would be quite helpful . The thread branches off into several places of people reverting to various revisions of Coffee Buzz's overlay, and then there is various patching, or emerge non-overlay version of things and copying stuff around.

I'd like to get a baseline for what we think the bare minimum current thing is to try this stuff out for an i810.

---

* using the latest Coffee Buzz overlay; [from http://www.tripthelight.net/xgloverlay]; revision 142 as of a minute ago.
* using DRI; Load "dri" in xorg.conf; Moduling loading messages in X.?.log as expected
* using GLX; Load "glx" in xorg.conf; Moduling loading messages in X.?.log as expected
* using modular DRM in kernel

mesa-6.5.0-p20060326
glitz-0.5.5-p20060323
cairo-1.1.1-alpha20060216
xorg-server-1.0.2-r1
xgl-0.0.1-p20060323

Still getting that BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error)
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrop wrote:
x.para wrote:
Hi can you post what xorg-server version should be emerged and also other packages versions?

Yes, please; this would be quite helpful . The thread branches off into several places of people reverting to various revisions of Coffee Buzz's overlay, and then there is various patching, or emerge non-overlay version of things and copying stuff around.

I'd like to get a baseline for what we think the bare minimum current thing is to try this stuff out for an i810.

---

* using the latest Coffee Buzz overlay; [from http://www.tripthelight.net/xgloverlay]; revision 142 as of a minute ago.
* using DRI; Load "dri" in xorg.conf; Moduling loading messages in X.?.log as expected
* using GLX; Load "glx" in xorg.conf; Moduling loading messages in X.?.log as expected
* using modular DRM in kernel

mesa-6.5.0-p20060326
glitz-0.5.5-p20060323
cairo-1.1.1-alpha20060216
xorg-server-1.0.2-r1
xgl-0.0.1-p20060323

Still getting that BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error)

Read the README.intel file in the overlay. YOu probably need to perform the copy of i915_drv.so from old 6.4.2 mesa. THe readme tells you what to do in this case.

You can also try upgrading to the 1.5.2.0 i810 video driver.

Basically, new Mesa 6.5.0 + xf86-video-i810-1.5.2.0 [OR] Mesa 6.5.0 and copy old i915_drv.so from Mesa 6.4.2 + xf86-video-i810-1.4.1.3.

I have problems with the 1.5.2.0 i810 driver myself, so I usually revery back to 1.4.1.3 driver and the i915_drv.so fix.
scrop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roderick wrote:

Read the README.intel file in the overlay.

The new driver didn't work, but the directions in that README.intel did.

Now I get a can't open default font 'fixed' for some crazy reason. I actually have a fixed.pcf.gz in /usr/share/fonts/misc, and I have an alias for fixed in /usr/share/fonts/corefonts/fonts.alias for a ttf version. I've got both those paths in my xorg.conf, and I've done an fc-cache -fv. Regular startx has no trouble finding fixed, but xgl does...
scrop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrop wrote:
Now I get a can't open default font 'fixed' for some crazy reason.

There was a whole bunch of trouble with the fixed and cursor fonts. I don't keep any old non ttf fonts except fixed.pcf.gz and cursor.pcf.gz and it took some fiddling with fonts.alias and fonts.dir to get the correct entries generated. For some reason Xgl didn't like what was there, when Xorg did.

Now I get a back screen, so I guess thats something ... :)

The black screen is actually only when I try to use compiz.

Is that about the current standard for i810, or is there a way I could see something things. I've started a gnome-terminal, and I can see the cursor change shape if I mouseover where it probably would be on the desktop; but its all black.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrop wrote:

Now I get a back screen, so I guess thats something ... :)

The black screen is actually only when I try to use compiz.

Is that about the current standard for i810, or is there a way I could see something things. I've started a gnome-terminal, and I can see the cursor change shape if I mouseover where it probably would be on the desktop; but its all black.

Please execute the following and post the results back:

Code:

emerge -pv glitz mesa x11-drm xgl xorg-server xf86-video-i810 cairo libXcomposite libXfixes libdrm compositeproto fixesproto compiz glproto

Here's what my system currently returns:

Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/glitz-0.5.5_p20060323  0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/mesa-6.5.0_p20060326  USE="mmx motif sse -3dnow -debug" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 -ati -mga -none -s3virge -savage -sis -tdfx -trident -via" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/x11-drm-20060323-r1  VIDEO_CARDS="i810 -ati -mga -nv -savage -sis -tdfx -via" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_p20060327  USE="-debug -ipv6" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99.1_p20060325  USE="dri -aiglx -debug -ipv6 -minimal -xprint" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-i810-1.4.1.3 [1.4.1.3] USE="dri -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/cairo-1.1.1_alpha20060216  USE="X glitz png -doc" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libXcomposite-0.2.2.2  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libXfixes-3.0.1.2  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libdrm-2.1_alpha20060313  USE="-debug" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-proto/compositeproto-0.3  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-proto/fixesproto-4.0  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-wm/compiz-0.0.7_p20060322-r3  USE="gnome kde svg theme_plain -aiglx" 0 kB [2]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-proto/glproto-1.4.6  USE="-debug" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/local/portage
 [2] /usr/local/xgl-coffee

Compare your output to mine. I have it working, but with the caveat I provided in the README.intel file (i.e. I have to use the Mesa 6.4.2-r3 from overlay, quickpkg it, then install Mesa 6.5.0 and extract i915_drv.so from quickpkg). You need the 6.4.2-r3 build in the overlay as it has the dri patch to match Mesa 6.5.0. If not, you can have problems (like the black screen).

EDIT:

scrop wrote:

There was a whole bunch of trouble with the fixed and cursor fonts. I don't keep any old non ttf fonts except fixed.pcf.gz and cursor.pcf.gz and it took some fiddling with fonts.alias and fonts.dir to get the correct entries generated. For some reason Xgl didn't like what was there, when Xorg did.

What exactly did you change? Were you using Gnome or Kde?

I can get Gnome to run with all latest versions, but KDE dies. Only complaint I get is about xset and fonts with startxgl 1 kde

Code:

Starting compiz
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.
/usr/local/xgl-coffee/startxgl: line 60: 19311 Segmentation fault      DISPLAY=:$1 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib compiz --replace gconf decoration wobbly fade switcher move resize place minimize cube rotate zoom scale
   Starting Window Manager
   DONE!
xset:  bad font path element (#82), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

If I do the same for gnome, it starts up fine, though I do get some artifacts on the main KDE Xsession I ran the Xgl session on top of. Gnome doesn't complain about fonts.

If I revert to old i915_drv.so and old xf86-video-i810 drivers, I have none of the above problems. SO close with the new i810 driver + Mesa...
x.para
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffeebuzz and others, I am not sure whether is this problem still related to i810 driver, but since several previous releases I have the problem that I am unable to start any other application than xterm. As soon as I start some other one like xmms or sim or whatever, my Xgl crashes. I tried several combinations of i915 driver, mesas, xgl and xorg-server but still the same resut. In the past I could start others apps. under Xgl+compiz fine, even Gnome and Kde was working. Later I was able to start it only from already started X and nowadays not at all. I am disappointed besaouse other thing in compiz like effect are getting better and better, also flickering has gone, but this one not. Would someone know what this case can be related to?

Code:

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]

and this is my current version list

Code:

emerge -pv glitz mesa x11-drm xgl xorg-server xf86-video-i810 cairo libXcomposite libXfixes libdrm compositeproto fixesproto compiz glproto

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/glitz-0.5.5_p20060323  0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/mesa-6.5.0_p20060326  USE="motif -3dnow -debug -mmx -sse" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 -ati -mga -none -s3virge -savage -sis -tdfx -trident -via" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/x11-drm-20050502  0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_p20060327  USE="ipv6 -debug" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99.1_p20060325  USE="dri ipv6 -aiglx -debug -minimal -xprint" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-i810-1.5.2.0_alpha20060320-r1  USE="dri -debug" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/cairo-1.1.1_alpha20060216  USE="X glitz png -doc" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libdrm-2.1_alpha20060313  USE="-debug" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-wm/compiz-0.0.7_p20060322-r2  USE="gnome kde svg -aiglx -theme_plain" 0 kB [1]

Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/local/portage/xgl-coffee

roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x.para wrote:
Coffeebuzz and others, I am not sure whether is this problem still related to i810 driver, but since several previous releases I have the problem that I am unable to start any other application than xterm. As soon as I start some other one like xmms or sim or whatever, my Xgl crashes. I tried several combinations of i915 driver, mesas, xgl and xorg-server but still the same resut. In the past I could start others apps. under Xgl+compiz fine, even Gnome and Kde was working. Later I was able to start it only from already started X and nowadays not at all. I am disappointed besaouse other thing in compiz like effect are getting better and better, also flickering has gone, but this one not. Would someone know what this case can be related to?

Code:

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]

and this is my current version list

Code:

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/glitz-0.5.5_p20060323  0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/mesa-6.5.0_p20060326  USE="motif -3dnow -debug -mmx -sse" VIDEO_CARDS="i810 -ati -mga -none -s3virge -savage -sis -tdfx -trident -via" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/x11-drm-20050502  0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_p20060327  USE="ipv6 -debug" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99.1_p20060325  USE="dri ipv6 -aiglx -debug -minimal -xprint" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-i810-1.5.2.0_alpha20060320-r1  USE="dri -debug" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/cairo-1.1.1_alpha20060216  USE="X glitz png -doc" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libdrm-2.1_alpha20060313  USE="-debug" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-wm/compiz-0.0.7_p20060322-r2  USE="gnome kde svg -aiglx -theme_plain" 0 kB [1]

Portage overlays:
 [1] /usr/local/portage/xgl-coffee

Try running the install.sh script in the overlay as follows:

./install.sh intel

This will rebuild the latest in your current rev. of the overlay (but only the base required items). It will also rebuild them in the required order to ensure each package is built with the right version of drivers, libraries, etc.

Also, read the readme file for Intel (README.intel) as you will need to make some changes after building Mesa 6.5.0.

I recommend reading this file first, as you should probably build Mesa 6.4.2-r3 from overlay and back it up.

Hope this helps.
psycepa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
can't find _exact_ shape of flags of compiz
i am using xfce-svn and i need to know what exactl do i have to put into the gconf-editor for the plugins to work
could someone post it here
i'd be very grateful :)

greetingz

oh and btw. maby i'm blind but i also can't find a way to get gnome-window-decorator
Code:

eix decorator

gives nothing...
"Life is complex. It has its real and imaginary part."
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psycepa wrote:
hi
can't find _exact_ shape of flags of compiz
i am using xfce-svn and i need to know what exactl do i have to put into the gconf-editor for the plugins to work
could someone post it here
i'd be very grateful :)

greetingz

oh and btw. maby i'm blind but i also can't find a way to get gnome-window-decorator
Code:

eix decorator

gives nothing...

The gnome-window-decorator is part of compiz. If you have correclty installed compiz, then gnome-window-decorator will be installed (try: 'which gnome-window-decorator').
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: