Stage1 (sortof?) install with a modem internet connection
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Stage1 (sortof?) install with a modem internet connection Reply with quote

Hi,

I am restricted to a modem connection for the moment, but wish to do a stage1 install... I am fairly familliar with linux, but new to gentoo. My basic question is, can it be done by hook or crook?

Is there any way to possibly pre-download the sources needed up to stage3 when a ppp connection can be made (that i know of) and store those sources on the install cdrom? Then perhaps, copy them to where they "would" be in the gentoo system were you to download them normally?

I really wish to compile everything from scratch, partially because I would like to try to use GCC 3.1 to do the compiles, also because I want to have a from-source system, but I am restricted to a modem connection. Any help?

Thanks in advance,
-i

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: A little awkward but not insurmountable Reply with quote

Yes, you can get the files you need in advance from http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/distfiles/ or ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/. Then it would be necessary to get them into /usr/portage/distfiles at the emerge rsync stage of setup (from a burnt CD for example). The problem is twofold:

1) You can't emerge rsync of course, so you need to get hold of a portage "snapshot" so you can create the portage directory correctly.
2) Knowing exactly which files you need. Some are obvious, but there are also lots of little patches and other bits and pieces that you might need.

The best way, IMO, to do it is to somehow get access to a machine that has a nice Internet connection and boot the Gentoo CD. Then do something like:
Code:
emerge rsync
tar -cvf portage-snapshot.tar /usr/portage/
emerge -f gcc glibc gettext binutils
emerge -f system

You'll probably want to want to fetch files for kde, xfree and whatever else you want. It will only download the files, it won't actually compile anything. The files will reside in /usr/portage/distfiles. You'll need to determine a method to transport them to your PC (if there is no other way, you could perhaps just whip the cover off and use your own hard disk in the foreign machine).

Anyway, back on your machine you would untar the snapshot you made instead of doing an rsync, and make sure that the distfiles you collected are in /usr/portage/distfiles, or that that directory is a symlink to something that contains them, or mount a CD there if you burned them. From there, you should be able to bootstrap and proceed as normal. As long as you have the files you need, Portage will not attempt to download them again.

The only other way I could think of doing it, is to prep your own kernel with PPP support compiled in and make a custom Gentoo boot CD. This problem is of interest to me, because I don't have Internet access at all in my home right now 8O (I'm running Gentoo in the office at present). I will be using the former technique, but I also plan to look at the PPP kernel idea. I've no idea of any of the newer boot CDs have it, maybe one will be released. I somehow get the impression that Gentoo think that a binary CD is the way to go for such users but I disagree. Having the distfiles and an in-sync snapshot is better and maintains the flexibilty that a BSD ports-like system provides.

PS: if you're planning to use GCC 3.1 you'd better make sure you get glibc-r4 or higher, linux-headers-r2, binutils 2.12 and so forth. The default profile on the Gentoo boot CD inhibits this. Look in the GCC 3.1 forum, there's a posting that explains the correct way to go about it.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: I'm not a guest Reply with quote

Damn it, I hate losing my session in the forums ... :roll:
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: clarification... Reply with quote

Ooook... I'd like to try pre-downloading the dist files as getting access to a decent internet connection at all is difficult where I am currently.

So my question is, can i go into the tarball for one of the latter stage installs, and get the portage snapshot from there? How would I best go about doing this?

Also, since I only need to make it to ~stage3 in Gentoo, where i can compile ppp support into my own kernel, and use it, it seems it should be possible, by going for overkill in the downloading of distfiles for the needed components up to that point, to get all the distfiles needed into a tarball i could then have on a burned cd, correct?

Thanks for your response, and I too would like to see either a ppp enabled kernel, or better yet, the ability to put all (or most) of the distfiles onto fixed media, ie cds.

-i
id10t
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever is in the portage snapshot will determine what exactly you need to download.

I just made my own boot cd image to have SMP support from the get-go, and it was really easy to do. Adding in PPP, etc. would be easy as well, especially if you compiled all the binaries it needs statically and put ppp support into the kernel.
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: The solution that makes sense to me. Reply with quote

Perhapse Gentoo could include an ISO (series?) that has the distfiles on them, and allow the portage/emerge system to be setup easily to grab the distfiles from there instead of the internet.

If you are on a dial up connection, its going to be annoying to download EVERY aspect of linux seperately... if you could possibly just order a cd for 99cents, or get a friend to burn an ISO or 2. Why not give the option of having some form of local media support for the distfiles? It seems to me it would be fairly easy to do, even if only done in the setup of Gentoo. (ie, telling the user to copy the distfiles from the cd(s) to the correct directory, and/or to symlink them, or some such)

I think that my problem will be fixed by hauling my computer to a decent internet conneciton just because mine is sooo slow that I couldn't let my computer sit for the days it would take to download each aspect of gentoo, and install it.

That said, it is true that it would be very easy to configure a kernel with ppp support. Considering the setup system comes on a CD as is, why not? space is not an issue, include it! minimal effort on the part of the gentoo developers it seems to me. Would also be nice to see built-in, and explained instructions for pppoe and other more obscure methods of connecting to the internet. The current setup CD is 16megs. I don't think it'd hurt to add some more configuration options for the setup side of things.

My final 2cents. I'll either get a good internet connection, or install from stage3, and forget gcc3.1, so this is just an interest i have in gentoo, not an issue for me any more. =] I do hope that the modem users of linux will be taken care of a bit better by gentoo in the future however. =]

-i
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: