qemu or vmware
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: qemu or vmware Reply with quote

Which is better and why? I imagine vmware has the fact that it is supported by a company as a pro, but if I wanted to use qemu so I could get at apps that only run in windows (partypoker baby!), would it be sufficient?

I have a 3Ghz p4 and 1.5 GB ram.
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QEmu is very sluggish, even with the kqemu module.
VMWare runs almost like a native install, if you don't bloat it up. If you can afford VMWare, it is much better.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt vmware-server now free? (Does that actually run an OS?)
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard something about it, maybe it is... Anyway, at the very least there is a free 30-day evaluation period version to test it.
Pse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the free versions of VMWare allow running a full OS. Even VMWare Player allows you to install a fresh copy of Windows if you care to manually edit the corresponding VMX files, but now with the new and more powerful free version that shouldn't even be a problem.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see vmware-server when I do

emerge -s vmware

is it available for gentoo?
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try workstation.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VMware-workstation is a completely different product from the (now free) vmware-server product. (which is only in beta testing at the moment) You have to have a vmware login so that you can download the product, and they will apparently send you a license key. (I would guess that this key doesn't expire)

I'm about to download it now and try it out. If it works, it will be great since it can create virtual machines directly. No need to muck around with qemu-img and vmware-player anymore. (Yay!) Hopefully, it will include the window's shares functionality of workstation that vmware-player doesn't have. (Although I was able to mount shares I created inside the vm using the vm IP address instead of name resolution)

Edit: Here is some official information: http://www.vmware.com/support/server/doc/releasenotes_server_beta.html After reading that, I think I was right about the key.

Edit2: There is already a bug list entry for ebuilds for this software: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=122500

Edit3: After reading through the ebuild bug, it looks like I'll have to wait a few more days before I install this. Until then I can continue to use vmware-player.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i downloaded and installed VM Workstation -- you have to register for a key which expires in 30 days. I just want to try it out.

When I installed on my 2.4.12 system it hosed everything ( a few months ago)

When I installed on my 2.6.15 kernel, it worked flawlesly -- emerve vm-workstation, run the configure script, and Im good to go. Installing windows (AKA poker) as I type this.

Obviously I would like to use it for free, but its good so I dont mind paying.

Whats the difference between server and workstation? Dont understand the docs. Too much whiskey.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do I have to install the display drivers and whatnot on my MS install within WMWARE? If I fullscreen within linux, the windows destop only gets so big--not my 1680x1050 resolution.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: qemu or vmware Reply with quote

shrndegruv wrote:
Which is better and why? I imagine vmware has the fact that it is supported by a company as a pro, but if I wanted to use qemu so I could get at apps that only run in windows (partypoker baby!), would it be sufficient?

I have a 3Ghz p4 and 1.5 GB ram.

FYI, I play Party Poker all the time using Crossover Office.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is not distributed under a free license, though, correct? Based on wine, which doesnt do party poker well, from what I read...
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrndegruv wrote:
that is not distributed under a free license, though, correct? Based on wine, which doesnt do party poker well, from what I read...

You didn't specify it had to be free. Your post above said you didn't mind paying for Vmware, and its a whole lot more expensive.

I had no issue buying Crossover Office, since the extras they add over Wine are worth it, and they seem to contribute back to Linux and the Wine project.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely correct -- i did not specify it had to be free. If there were free alternatives to VMWARE(is that moot; is vmware now free!!??) Id like to explore those.

Does anyone have an answer to my question about graphics drivers for the OS on the VM? Do I need to install them, or does VMware handle all that?

I installed vmware-tools and it increased my resolution beyond whatever it was before (something like 800x600), but it doesnt seem to realize I have a 1680x1050 native resolution. It complained about my xorg.conf not having any resolution settings; I recently upgraded to the latest ati drivers, and apparently it can probe your hardware and set the resolution....
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrndegruv wrote:
Does anyone have an answer to my question about graphics drivers for the OS on the VM? Do I need to install them, or does VMware handle all that?.

No. Within Vmware it has its own custom video driver (VMsvga or something like that. In the virtual machine it has no knowledge of your ATI card)
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you check your desktop settings in windows inside the vm, does it show any higher resolutions? Once I installed the vmware tools inside the vm, I was able to up the resolution to a reasonable value.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: