insmod net-pf-1 failed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitzwegerich
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: insmod net-pf-1 failed Reply with quote

hello!

I followed the installation instructions and wanted to reboot into my new system. But after each boot-message of the form
************************* [ok]
i got lots of these messages:
Code:

insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/kernel/net/unix/unix.o: insmod net-pf-1 failed

Finally i got to the login-prompt, and after entering the username "root" as well after entering the password i again got lots of these messages.

I decided to do a depmod and it told me that there are unresolved symbols in unix.o

After that i wanted to log in in a second console (alt+f2), and after entering the username i again got this message. but this time it never stopped. there was also a new kind of message. i got:
4 times
Code:

insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/kernel/net/unix/unix.o: insmod net-pf-1 failed

followed by 2 times
Code:

Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/modules.dep

and this pattern came again and again and it never stopped. i succeded in safely rebooting the system by ctrl+alt+del, and now already the boot process hangs with this 4+2 error messages pattern.

When i compiled the kernel, I tried to set as many kernel options as possible to modules. Maybe i did that to some option which should have been set to "enabled". I can post my .config file if you think that would be interesting.

I don't have an idea how to fix this. Please help me.

Thanks,

~michael
gamera2_00
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things MUST be inside of the kernel for it to boot properly. Read the help part in menuconfig for each component if you're not ABSOLUTELY SURE if it should or should not be inside of the kernel.

Also, building modlues for EVERYTHING isn't always good, sometimes there's alternate versions of drivers that make conflicts. You shouldn't need to change too many of the default general settings. Also, avoid making modules for things you know you don't (and will never) have or need. (it wastes alot of time).

Try backing up your kernel config and make distclean if you've upgraded binutils or gcc since the last time you've compiled your kernel. (sometimes this helps too, but it wipes your kernel config settings, so be careful)
spitzwegerich
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for your reply!

after make distclean and playing around with the kernel options, i found out that CONFIG_UNIX must be set to "enabled" instead of "module".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: