Xine weirdness after emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Xine weirdness after emerge Reply with quote

Last night I upgraded xine-ui to the latest in portage, xine-ui-0.99.4-r3. Now, whenever I run xine and try to watch a movie clip it opens aterms. Every 20-30 seconds of play it pops open two new blank terminals for me. If I close them they'll come back in another 20-30 seconds. If I leave them open, it'll still open two more. They pop up on top of whatever I'm watching making it a bit difficult to see anything. I've tried different window managers thinking it may be something there. Same thing happens in my normal Afterstep along with KDE. I'm stumped. I've re-emerged xine-ui and get the same thing.

I'm pulling my hair out here. I just want to watch a movie and it won't let me.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - That is strange like hell, but not impossible.
I have experienced many weird behaviours from xine-ui, that is the reason why I stopped using it time ago. Sometimes it behaved like if the combo boxes in the config dialog were being pressed a lot of times by some key. I think that it generates some kind of fake keypresses for any reason that I can't figure, but, if that is true, the origin of your problem could be there.

If you have defined key binding for aterm in your wm, try disabling them and see if this continues. If it doesn't, you have the guilty.
TonyF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
Lol - That is strange like hell, but not impossible.
I have experienced many weird behaviours from xine-ui, that is the reason why I stopped using it time ago. Sometimes it behaved like if the combo boxes in the config dialog were being pressed a lot of times by some key. I think that it generates some kind of fake keypresses for any reason that I can't figure, but, if that is true, the origin of your problem could be there.

If you have defined key binding for aterm in your wm, try disabling them and see if this continues. If it doesn't, you have the guilty.

Yep, it's generating fake key presses. Scroll Lock to be exact. Weird. I have Scroll Lock setup to open a new terminal in Afterstep. I had disabled and restarted AS but it apparently doesn't re-read the config on a restart unless you reload it manually. I had the same setup in KDE though I don't remember ever setting that up nor could I find where I'd done that.

It's fixed for now but I no longer have my Scroll Lock quick key for a terminal. :( I'll have to retrain myself.
smoker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so funny since I got exactly the same reaction from xine-ui only, and I have set my root shell on Scroll Lock.
I was really lost why it kept opening the root shells. :lol:

Since I really do not want to change the shortcut, is there any other option like xine NOT emulating Scroll Lock?
I use mplayer mostly but every clip that mplayer cannot play, xine will and I really liked that...

PS: Been around these forums for six months(as long as I use linux as my main and only OS) and this is my first post,
and I got to say that Gentoo Rules and these forums are the best :lol:

Thanks!
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoker wrote:
is there any other option like xine NOT emulating Scroll Lock?
According to this thread xine generates fake Scroll-Lock keypresses to prevent screensavers from kicking in.

You can stop the keypresses in xine-ui by clicking the spanner at the bottom left (with the default skin), and in the "gui" tab, scroll down to "Screensaver reset interval(s)". Set it to zero and then this should no longer happen.
smoker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot gkmac.....a fill a little bit more wiser and a much more stupid :lol:
I guess somebody has to edit the title as solved...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: