View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: shall I install kopete-3.5.0? Reply with quote

hi all!
I'm looking for a program for msn webchat. I read kopete 3.5 has this feature (Am I right?) but actually my kde is 3.4.x
Do you think I can emerge only kopete-3.5.0 (with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS) or it will make kde crash?
kopete-3.5 requires also arts-3.5 and kdelibs-3.5

thank you
ElTrapecista
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, last version of Kopete has video support with msn and yahoo protocols.

The correct way of emerging something not stable is to put it in /etc/portage/package.keywords as follows
Code:
kde-base/kdelibs
kde-base/kopete

You need not stable kdelibs because its a dependency of not stable kopete. There is no problem of using not stable kdelibs as libraries are usually backward compatible.

Have fun !
Evilguru
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is genreally adviseable to upgrade all KDE stuff at once, as while most KDE libraries are normally backwards compatible, they can sometimes be the source of some strange errors/lockups.
So, my advice is to try it, if something suddenly breaks, no problem, just down-grade to an older version of KDE libs and Kopete.
I could well be wrong here, so please excuse me if I am, but I believe the correct way to emerge unstable packages is to do (you need to add ~<arch> onto the end of the package name):
Code:

echo "package-folder/package-name ~<arch>" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

Where <arch> is your CPU architecture (probably x86).

Regards, Freddie.
koho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all! I'll give a try and I'll tell you! :D
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While kopete 3.5 has some nifty features, I despise it's UI. But that's just my humble opinion.
koho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emerge correctly kopete-3.5, but now if I run kopete from kde menu, I get the old 3.4 version..
how can I do?
koho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to run kopete-3.5 from console /usr/kde/bin/kopete-3.5 but it cannot find all plugins (msn, icq, jabber, etc) so it was impossible to connect
(Yea! updating only separate kde components doesn't work! Evilguru was miles toward us :wink: )

I'm experiencing some xserver crashes, some win-like freezes..
I don't like them :cry: I'm using linux!!
I think I'll remove kopete 3.5 and wait for kde 3.5 marked stable..
when do you think kde3.5 will be put in portage?
Evilguru
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE 3.5(.1) is actually very stable, and many popular distributions (e.g. Kubuntu) use it by default. However there are a few bugs with it that are stopping the devs from putting it into stable. My advice is just to un-mask kde 3.5 and friends and then update your system to it. If you do choose to do this make sure that you also re-compile things like koffice and any other applications that use the kde-libs, if they were not re-compiled when you upgraded.

Good Luck!
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koho wrote:
I'm experiencing some xserver crashes, some win-like freezes..
I don't like them :cry: I'm using linux!!
I think I'll remove kopete 3.5 and wait for kde 3.5 marked stable..
when do you think kde3.5 will be put in portage?
If you really want a stable desktop computer, you might want to try MS Windows. It's fast, well tested and more stable than the linux desktop. Make sure you're using stable drivers and Windows won't ever crash. Linux desktops are very customizable and very secure, but in my opinion not more stable than MS Windows desktops.

Evilguru wrote:
KDE 3.5(.1) is actually very stable, and many popular distributions (e.g. Kubuntu) use it by default. However there are a few bugs with it that are stopping the devs from putting it into stable. My advice is just to un-mask kde 3.5 and friends and then update your system to it. If you do choose to do this make sure that you also re-compile things like koffice and any other applications that use the kde-libs, if they were not re-compiled when you upgraded.

Good Luck!
KDE 3.5 is not that stable. Window focus behaviour is weird sometimes. Some bugs from 3.4 dissapeard, other bugs emerged.

I really like kopete in kde 3.5. It's interface got some small improvements and there are new features like webcam support. The webcam tab can make your Xserver crash (happens all the time on one of my computers). I've tested webcam support on the other computer (the one that doesn't lock-up) but it doesn't work well for me (MSN).
Evilguru
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you really want a stable desktop computer, you might want to try MS Windows. It's fast, well tested and more stable than the linux desktop. Make sure you're using stable drivers and Windows won't ever crash. Linux desktops are very customizable and very secure, but in my opinion not more stable than MS Windows desktops.

I disagree, a well configured Linux desktop can be just as stable as a Windows one. I have had both desktop Windows and Linux desktops that have had an update of 50 days plus without crashing at all.

There are some bugs in KDE 3.5, and while a few of them are potential show-stoppers they do not affect everyone. Many people on these forums use KDE 3.5.1 without any troubles at all, including me.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: 'Stable' has 'two' meanings. Reply with quote

There are two kinds of stable: the first says something about amount of crashes, the other about the amount of (other) bugs.

Evilguru wrote:
I disagree, a well configured Linux desktop can be just as stable as a Windows one. I have had both desktop Windows and Linux desktops that have had an update of 50 days plus without crashing at all.
The right combination of hardware, drivers and Xserver version will give you a rock solid Linux desktop. You have to do a lot of testing yourself to get that rock solid configuration. Just a bunch on gentoo developpers rating packages ARCH or ~ARCH isn't sufficient. On my current hardware I've been unable to crash Windows one single time. I can't say that same thing for my Linux desktop (Admitting that I do more experiments / testing in linux and that I use linux more often).

Quote:
There are some bugs in KDE 3.5, and while a few of them are potential show-stoppers they do not affect everyone. Many people on these forums use KDE 3.5.1 without any troubles at all, including me.
I'm just talking about two small bugs that I can find in KDE 3.5.1. It's working well for me as well! I wasn't defending MS Windows for the amount of bugs, but for the amount of crashes. It's easier to find that rock solid combination of drivers and software in Windows than in Linux.

Hm, getting offtopic / offforum.
koho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean irondog, but this is my situation.
I _always_ use only unmasked packages (so marked stable versions) and my gentoo-box works for weeks without any problem. I assure you I'm not a programmer, or a unix-guru. I just like to use the computer and I like to use linux. I do only "everyday use" not dev, not debug, not hacking, nothing more than using it for web, email, im, home office, etc.
It's has been quite hard to learn how to use gentoo and linux in general (my girl often asks me when I'm typing in console "how do you know what to write? do you press random keys?" :D I LOVE HER!)
I'm using gentoo since 4 years and I made some great mistakes in the past (lived as root, unmerged Gcc, emerge depclean with empty world file, etc)
Actually my faith in gentoo devs is TOTAL. I know that if a package is masked, there's a good reason for it.
I'd like to try kopete for using my brand new webcam and I ran the risk of emerging a masked package.
The result is an unstable system (my faith grows :wink: )
Now I'll unmerge it and wait for devs to mark kde 3.5 stable.
Sometimes a man has to believe strongly in something.
I'm sure a gentoo box is stable more than any window box I've seen in my life. And I want a linux-box!

Thank you for your answer and thank evilguru for your suggestions

I love gentoo because it's also people like you two.

have a nice day :wink:
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am running 3.5.1 and I didn't even know that it _wasn't_ "stable" yet....

I've been running 3.5 since it came out... and haven't had any problems whatsoever, and I use the _hell_ outta my desktop environment (including multiple monitors and a bunch of other non-standard stuff).

But I fly with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" all the time (tired of gentoo's "stabalizing" slowing down and becoming more Debian like) so maybe I just have a higher tolerance for bugs (but honestly I can't think of anything that 3.5(.1) has done incorrectly.

My desktop is fast _and_ stable... but of course this is just my experience.

Friedmud
koho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilguru wrote:
My advice is just to un-mask kde 3.5 and friends and then update your system to it. If you do choose to do this make sure that you also re-compile things like koffice and any other applications that use the kde-libs, if they were not re-compiled when you upgraded.

how do you suggest me to do that?
shall I add a line in package.unmask for every locally installed entry of kde-base/ and kde-misc and emerge world?
shall I ACCEPT_KEYWORD="~x86" emerge for every kde-base and kde-misc?

thank you again
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koho wrote:
Evilguru wrote:
My advice is just to un-mask kde 3.5 and friends and then update your system to it. If you do choose to do this make sure that you also re-compile things like koffice and any other applications that use the kde-libs, if they were not re-compiled when you upgraded.

how do you suggest me to do that?
shall I add a line in package.unmask for every locally installed entry of kde-base/ and kde-misc and emerge world?
shall I ACCEPT_KEYWORD="~x86" emerge for every kde-base and kde-misc?

thank you again

Put this list in your package.keywords, using inline ACCEPT_KEYWORD="~x86" is discouraged.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: