Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frugal_guy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morfeus wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I admit my worst problem does not ly with gentoo or linux but with my impatient nature. I am lazy but not stupid.

Many kind people have made suggestions to try to resolve your problems. Here's mine: Kanotix 64. The current release will boot up fine with your motherboard. I have an ASRock 939DualSATA2 also.

Gentoo is not for the lazy or impatient. It's a good distribution for those who want to learn about the details of GNU/Linux and enjoy fiddling with the system to get it to do exactly what they want. Putting together a Gentoo system is hard work, but it's that Gentoo users enjoy doing.

There are other much better distributions for those who just want a stable usable operating system.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the used kernel is too old? You need >=2.6.14 AFAIK for onboard NIC to work with the ULI driver. I use the same mobo with Athon64 X2 and 4GB of RAM at university and it works nicely. The Asrock support even sent me a modified BIOS so I can try to use a different MTRR setting, so that I should be able to set the graphics mem to write-combining. (Can only test Tuesday.)
Alsa is no problem here.
I can even use the SATA 2 controller since I bugged Jeff Garzik to make a patch.
CalPaterson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urbanomad wrote:
I love my 64-bit arch. AMD64 X2 3800+, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, 2 gigs of Corsair XMS, GeForce 6600GT, etc.

You've got almost exactly the same box as me. I have AMD 4000+, a high end nForce 4 (I forget the make), 2gb of Corsair and a GF6600.

On topic, I've used 64bit gnu/linux for coming up to a year now (was on Debian previously, but I like gentoo more for noncrit desktop stuff). I think my most serious problem was getting zsnes to work, and in gentoo theres an ebuild that will do all the hard work for you. The machine supports my soundcard, ethcard, videocard and all of the onboard components that are on this nForce. It's good.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: