eth0 shows up, but never gets an IP address
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeroasterisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: eth0 shows up, but never gets an IP address Reply with quote

Sorry to have to ask, but I'm out of ideas - I'm trying to install gentoo from the 11 / 2005 release of the netinstall liveCD and it has found my linksys nc100 card and used (i assume) the tulip driver for it.... but no matter whether I tell it to use DHCP to aquire an IP address (which I can tell from my DHCP server was assigned) or I tell it to use a static one and configure the gateway... it will not route traffic....

that is, when I staticly assign an IP address and gateway - 3 of 4 packets return a "Destination Host Unreachable".... I know the NIC works with my previous installation (debian). (yes, I have confirmed tulip is the module i should be using and I have "modprobed" it - to no avail) --- ip [192.168.0.213] gw [192.168.0.1] --- pinging by IP address... I also just tried the universal install cd (not the minimal netinstall) to the same end. And I have just gotten a different NIC - Netgear (FA311) which is supported by the "natsemi" driver... and am running into the same exact problem - so now I'm totally confused. I've got a BP6 motherboard with 2 PII 466 CPUs, and debian install has no problem geting network connectivity. (by the way, I have conducted the experiment with the new NIC and it too is getting an IP address from the DHCP server... but it just doesn't see it within the install environment)

The eth0 interface shows up in "ifconfig" but it doesn't have the "inet" line at all

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:A6:**:**:**
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

ideas? similar issues?
I would copy and paste data, but without a network connection to that box, I can't get the data to copy.

thanks!
-alan-
asiB4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give a handful of suggestions to check out..hopefully one helps out... :D

1. If you are planning to run dhcp ensure you have emerged dhcpcd..
2. check your /etc/conf.d/net and ensure it is set up correctly...for dhcp it should look something like this...
Code:
config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
dhcp_eth0="nodns nontp nonis"

3. check your /etc/resolv.conf and make sure that is set up with the correct dns servers..
Code:
nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx
nameserver x.x.x.x

if from a livecd it can connect to the dhcp server you can copy the /etc/resolv.conf from the livecd to your /etc/resolv.conf . Your nic should use the tulip drivers without any problems.

4. If you are going to use static ip's make sure your dhcp server is disabled on your router, and your /etc/conf.d/net is setup accordingly...
Code:
ifconfig_eth0=( "192.168.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.xxx.xxx" )
default gw 192.168.xxx.xxx

Good Luck!

Chad
Registered Linux User #332738

zeroasterisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions.

The problem is with the liveCD - before i have installed anything to the system.

The resolve.conf shouldn't be invovled, since I have not been trying to resolve any domain names - nameservers shouldn't come into the equation at all, when pinging by IP. (right?)

I have confirmed those static IP settings and the DHCP settings - trying each in turn. I continue to run into the same issues. And I know the hardware is fine - I just ran the debian install again, and it is working, same driver modules / same hardware.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forums.

After configuring your nic, look at the output of ifconfig -a. If after trying to ping some hosts on your network, you still get all the counters of eth0 as 0, then the network module you're using doesn't work witn your nic.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you assign an IP address manually:

ifconfig eth0 inet x.x.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0

and

route add gw x.x.x.x
zeroasterisk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have specified a static IP address / route a few ways, with net-setup and manually with a command like:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.103 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.0.1

What happens is - the adaptor eth0 appears to have the inet address I specify but doesn't ping out nor receive pings. I get "destination host unreachable".... oddly enough, for 3 out of 4 pings out... the 1 of 4 pings just disappears (no response). again - same hardware works fine with debian so I know it's not the hardware (which is what I would otherwise think it was).
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at the counters of eth0 when using ifconfig -a? Are they all at 0?

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: