View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeetleJuice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Xen and gaming? Reply with quote

Hi folks, I was away from gentoo and linux in general some time now because I use my PC mainly as gaming platform.
Since most opensource apps (xchat,gaim,mozilla) were ported to win32 I migrated to windows completely some time ago, didn't like the dual booting.

So, this new Xen VM, didn't found much about gaming performance here on the forums, any of you made experience with that?
thx
PaveQ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does 3D rendering work with Xen? Can Xen run windows? I'm interested too :P
ansalmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaveQ wrote:
Can Xen run windows? I'm interested too :P

To quote from the Xen FAQ:

1.4. Does Xen support Microsoft Windows?
Unfortunately we do not currently support Windows; the paravirtualized approach we use to get such high performance has not been usable directly for Windows to date. However recently announced hardware support from Intel and AMD will allow us to transparently support Windows XP & 2003 Server in the near future. We are working on this and intend to have support available by the time the new processors are available.

So grab yourself some Intel VT kit, and stand by for action...
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that Xen can run 3D games. The "problem" with virtual machines is that... they are _virtual_ machines. So, even if your computer has a fancy 3D-accelerator card, virtual machines that you run in your computer won't have. They only have some generic virtual devices. I'm not sure if it is possible to somehow add support for host computer's hardware for virtual machines though.

But for the record, VMware released a free virtual machine software a while ago called VMware Server. There's a Windows and Linux version of it. I've used it little and it is quite good software - especially for Linux users. You won't be able to run any software that requires some specific hardware (like tv-card, 3D-accelerator, sound card...), but it is possible to run any other "normal" sofware in their native environment. So if you need to run some Windows program (MS Office..) but Wine can't handle it, VMware Server will solve the problem. But like said, playing games on it won't work too well. 3D games won't work because there's no 3D-acceleration and 2D games will lack sounds.

VMware does have somekind of support for USB devices. Unless I understood it wrong, some USB devices that are connected to the host computer can be directed to a virtual machine running on that computer. Now that might mean that it would be possible to use USB sound cards, tv-cards, etc on VMware's virtual machines, but I'm not sure of that. And if there would be a USB video card, it might be possible to use that too on those virtual machines allowing you to play 3D games on them. But I'm not sure how the USB support works on that thing...
BeetleJuice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the answers. I messed around with cedega some time ago, actually most games ran fine but I also have "exotic" flightsimming hardware (HOTAS and IR tracking device) thats not programmable under linux.
LubosD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teidon wrote:
I doubt that Xen can run 3D games. The "problem" with virtual machines is that... they are _virtual_ machines. So, even if your computer has a fancy 3D-accelerator card, virtual machines that you run in your computer won't have. They only have some generic virtual devices. I'm not sure if it is possible to somehow add support for host computer's hardware for virtual machines though.

Not true, there were several requests for nvidia driver support for Linux on Xen... nVidia seems to be interested.
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xen isn't exactly a normal VM from my limited understanding either. So it's not really comparable.

Virtualization is definitely something I plan to invest in when it's come down in price a bit on the new chips. As soon as there is something in the 300-400 range it will be worth it I think.
Tarch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now xen supports 3d acceleration! Now I'm running XGL + compiz-quinnstorm under XEN successfully with great performance, and if you go here there is an article talking about running simultaneously two instances of UT2004 using two video cards. Amazing!!! =)

Bye! =) 8O
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've heard that, nice to see improvements over the months since I last posted in this thread.

But it doesn't support windows yet (3d acceleration that is, as you need a paravirtualized driver). I think it will be a few months more till I have a good reason to want to use xen myself but it definitely sounds like they are making progress. If I had a virtualization supporting processor like the newer AMD/Intel chips I'd install it to help in testing, but since I don't I'm going to wait to purchase one until xen can at least run windows in some limited, buggy, fashion. I'm willing to deal with that, just not shell out money when it's not here yet.
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I've been watching Xen for some time and I think its a great technology.
I'm seriously considering investing into an AMD AM2 Athlon X2 setup to use this, as the total cost of a new MB/CPU/RAM is now within the £400 bracket... My main aim is to run Xen, but alas I am a serious gamer as many of you are... Its the only reason I use WindowsXP.

From what I understand, it is possible to run Linux inside Xen and have X11 acceleration, which is great...
However, is anyone heard of any developments on the Windows side for 3D acceleration...?

Or does anyone know of any sources of good information?

This thread could be made the official Xen Linux/Windows gaming thread even.

Using Gentoo and Windows XPee.

Check my site here
avnielknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtual Machienes do not allow 3d acceleration since the video driver is purely pretending to be a display adapter. The most progress I have seen is that VMware finally allows 2 cpus to be emulated.
http://www.myspace.com/avnielknight
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's hoping. :)

I'm sure before the years out there will be a VM breakthrough... Its progressed leaps and bounds the last few months already.

Check my site here
avnielknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to remain hopeful.
http://www.myspace.com/avnielknight
Saint1911
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plonka2000 wrote:

I'm sure before the years out there will be a VM breakthrough... Its progressed leaps and bounds the last few months already.

Xen still don't support AMD's pacifica virtualization, for now your better of with a conroe or you can choose to go with AMD but then you'll have to wait for it to be supported.
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint1911 wrote:
plonka2000 wrote:

Xen still don't support AMD's pacifica virtualization, for now your better of with a conroe or you can choose to go with AMD but then you'll have to wait for it to be supported.

Its true that Xen doesnt support AMDs implementation officially yet, however, from the various benchmarks I've seen around it seems as though the AMD chips are actually better suited to such an environment. One such comparison was made in the UKs LinuxFORMAT magazine latest issue.

It appears as though the AMD chips are a lot more consistent in their performance and scale much better, in many cases reaching comparible performance levels for desktop computing as a comparable native system. As such I've got more faith in them than the current Conroes.
I suspect most of these benefits are due to the On-die memory controller, which as far as I understand does not need to be virtualised.

I'm watching very closely, as I'm sure this is going to be the next major desktop computing angle: running two full speed OSs side by side.

Check my site here
Saint1911
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but the fact remains that you can't use the amd's at this point in time, personally though my desktop has always been amd since 3DNOW! was 'new' and the next upgrade will be AMD aswell. Still if it's something you need to function now, it's conroe. *waiting for quad cpu's*
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint1911 wrote:
True, but the fact remains that you can't use the amd's at this point in time, personally though my desktop has always been amd since 3DNOW! was 'new' and the next upgrade will be AMD aswell. Still if it's something you need to function now, it's conroe. *waiting for quad cpu's*

Its worth noting that you *CAN* use AMD64 chips (As demonstrated around the net and as previously mentioned in the latest UK Linux Format mag), just not 100% AMD-style Pacifica virtualised as yet. The fact that you can download Xen kernel images for AMD64 chips is testament to this.
The point is, that even without the support and optimisations that Intel has, the AMD architecture still holds its own very well when running Xen3 and in many cases outperforming an Intel VT-enabled system.

I'm waiting to see what happens with AMD Pacifica support, as I'm sure if the current unoptimised version can run at near-native speeds, then there may be a major suprise in store.

If AMD or Intel can pull this off properly, they could rule tommorows x86/x86-64 market.

Check my site here
Saint1911
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plonka2000 wrote:

Its worth noting that you *CAN* use AMD64 chips (As demonstrated around the net and as previously mentioned in the latest UK Linux Format mag), just not 100% AMD-style Pacifica virtualised as yet. The fact that you can download Xen kernel images for AMD64 chips is testament to this.
The point is, that even without the support and optimisations that Intel has, the AMD architecture still holds its own very well when running Xen3 and in many cases outperforming an Intel VT-enabled system.

I'm waiting to see what happens with AMD Pacifica support, as I'm sure if the current unoptimised version can run at near-native speeds, then there may be a major suprise in store.

If AMD or Intel can pull this off properly, they could rule tommorows x86/x86-64 market.

Sure for systems where the sources are readily available (Linux, BSD) don't know about OSX though... however the op wanted to run Windows/Linux Xen environment.
Indeed i'm anticipating the version of Xen with AMD support, for the same reason.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a XEN point of view, I dont see why it's not possible to have one cheap 20$ display adapter running in ring0, running your linux xgl stuff. And having a more powerfull card dedicated to a windows host running on xen. And allowing xen direct access to that hardware.
rbv4531
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: xen access to secondary video card Reply with quote

I saw a great explanation of this on another website.

Basically, for 3-D acceleration, you need direct memory access -- with video card working as a bus master. This means the video driver has to be able to give the physical address of the shared RAM buffers so that the video card can read that memory without using the CPU. Non-paged memory allocated from the kernel wouldn't go through the MMU -- except in a domU kernel isn't using physical addresses, cause the hypervisor has configured the MMU. Video driver thus can't know the correct address to pass to the GPU, unless (a) the chipset gets a MMU for I/O (this is what Intel's upcoming VT -d is about I hear) or (b) you have a paravirtualized xen-aware video driver that uses a hypervisor trap to do the logical -> physical address translation.

So c'mon nvidia, we all want paravirtualized drivers... .pleeeeeeze!
Fafhrd_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this thread while doing some research about gaming with linux. I need to have .NET support, which isn't available in WINE (yet), so I'm looking at VMware and Xen.

Anyway, thought you guys might like this http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78632
[Patch] unified patch for Xen or Realtime Preemption for 1.0-8776
plonka2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avnielknight wrote:
It's good to remain hopeful.

It suuuuure is. :D

Check my site here
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fafhrd_ wrote:
Found this thread while doing some research about gaming with linux. I need to have .NET support, which isn't available in WINE (yet), so I'm looking at VMware and Xen.

Anyway, thought you guys might like this http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78632

If I'm understanding correctly, this patch allows an older version of the drivers to run in Xen, but 3d acceleration is only present on the host. I don't think this is a paravirtualized driver or anything that will allow the guest to run 3d, however.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xanas3712 wrote:
Fafhrd_ wrote:

If I'm understanding correctly, this patch allows an older version of the drivers to run in Xen, but 3d acceleration is only present on the host. I don't think this is a paravirtualized driver or anything that will allow the guest to run 3d, however.

it is possible to run full 3d in XEN now, but only on linux hosts as far as I know.

(in the wiki a guy has an example setup, with 2x virtual machines, both 3d accelerated, playing unreal in network).
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, wait, so he is running 2 linux vm's accelerated, so the 2 guest OS are linux or is one windows/one linux?

If everything is linux that's still cool.

Do you have a link for this? I've looked and looked but most of what I find on running 3d accelerated guests is months and months old and pure theory. There is a lot of talk of running the 3d nvidia driver with patches, but it sounds from the threads that those patches are only for the host OS. Again, prove me wrong, but I would think if they were doing 3d accelerated guests there would at least be someone posting some screenshots and I've seen not a one.

I assume you are not talking about "http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/CoolConfigurations" because this only works if you have separate dedicated video cards.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: