Sound Blaster 24 bit sound card has no sound
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gman_vanswapper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Sound Blaster 24 bit sound card has no sound Reply with quote

Hello,

I have read many postings of similar cases, yet still have no resolution. I did research before purchasing a sound card that would work under Linux, which led me to this particular card. Let me provide some information, then provide some insight.

PROBLEM DESRIPTION: After installing Sound Blaster Live 24 bit card, there is no sound output
Window Manager: KDE and Gnome
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live 24 bit, PCI
SW: ALSA

I first went to this URL for instructions:

http://alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+Labs&card=Sound+Blaster+Live+7.1.&chip=SB0410%2C+P17&module=ca0106

My first step was obviously installing the hw, then I went to /usr/src/linux to utilize make menuconfig and compile ALSA. I compiled my driver as a module (snd-ca0106). I basically followed the steps from the alsa project site. I emerged alsa driver, tools, utils, oss, lib, mixer and player. I later found this URL and started over, but had the same results.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix#Preparing_Kernel_2.6

So obviously I have check the mixer to make sure I'm not muted, I've checked my configuration and actually cut and paste from the alsa site. All of my modules seem to be loaded, Gentoo "see's" everything as is should from a /proc perspective.

I will say that something I found concerning is in the mixer, there is nothing listed under "Chipset". I dont know if this is the expected behavior of this card, or it is a bug or what. I do have static in my speakers and I hear it happen as soon as the driver loads. Also, when I start the alsaplayer like this, I get no player window, it just acts as if something is happening, but still there is no player window or sound output. Interesting, I just tried to start alsaplayer by itself and nothing, then I perform a ps -ef | grep -i alsa and it "hangs"....hmmm. This may be a memory issue. I have also tried the Music Player "JuK" in KDE, which now does not work anymore for some reason. (It did come up before I started messing with ALSA) It tries to come up, then dies with a crash handler message.

Also, I dont seem to have a "master" audio option in the mixer as I have read I should have????

Any thoughts, help?

Thank you.
felicehome
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My first step was obviously installing the hw, then I went to /usr/src/linux to utilize make menuconfig and compile ALSA. I compiled my driver as a module (snd-ca0106). I basically followed the steps from the alsa project site. I emerged alsa driver, tools, utils, oss, lib, mixer and player. I later found this URL and started over, but had the same results.

Hi I think you should either install the kernel modules, or the alsa-drivers. Both is too much, as they do the same thing in general. But I think for performance issues you should go with the kernel drivers.

Also I think you should use:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

and not the official alsa howto.

If you build the drivers in the kernel and not as module, you will generally not have to fuss around with modules getting loaded. For me this works perfectly, but I heard some people having problems building the drivers into the kernel.

But if you do, there are basically only a few steps you have to do to get sound working

1.select alsa and the right driver to be built into the kernel and recompile it
should look like this:

Code:

<*> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
<*> Sequencer support   
< >   Sequencer dummy client
<*> OSS Mixer API
<*> OSS PCM (digital audio) API
[*] OSS Sequencer API
< > RTC Timer suppor
[ ] Verbose printk
[ ] Debug

PCI devices  --->
<*> SB Audigy LS / Live 24bit

2. /etc/init.d/alsasound start (to start it now)
rc-update add alsasound default (to get that this to the default runlevel)
3.set mixer levels (with alsamixer for example)
4.alsactl store (to store your mixer levels)

you also shouldn't need that dmix stuff you are after. Your soundcard should support proper hardware mixing!
gman_vanswapper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip felicehome!

I just compiled ALSA into the kernel and everything works fine. Must be some issues with the modules.

gman
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: