Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I think I destroyed my filesystem, what now?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: I think I destroyed my filesystem, what now? Reply with quote

I was trying to resize my root partition to allow for a test installation of another distro, but resizing an ext3 filesystem proved to be very difficult. I tried with parted/qtparted and gparted, but all not worked. I then tried resize2fs and it resized my filesystem correctly, but not the partition. Then I fiddled a little here and there with fdisk/cfdisk and resize2fs. Now when I try resize2fs I get the error to run e2fsck. But when I do e2fsck -f /dev/hda3, I get:
Code:
# fsck.ext2 /dev/hda3
e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 3063040 blocks
The physical size of the device is 382880 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
Abort<y>? no

/dev/hda3 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Error reading block 457477 (Invalid argument) while reading indirect blocks of inode 124.  Ignore error<y>? yes

Force rewrite<y>? yes

Error writing block 457477 (Invalid argument) while reading indirect blocks of inode 124.  Ignore error<y>? yes

Error reading block 457503 (Invalid argument) while reading indirect blocks of inode 208.  Ignore error<y>? yes

Force rewrite<y>? yes

Error writing block 457503 (Invalid argument) while reading indirect blocks of inode 208.  Ignore error<y>?

When I choose no the program exits. When I choose yes it goes on and on for ever with these notices/errors.

What am I to do to get the best results? I guess I can't avoid destruction of my filesystem in some way, but I would appreciate a solution to have as little destruction as possible. Luckily, I backed up my /home, but one dir I would like to backup also is /root. Any suggestions? :oops:
Abraxa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, you sure got yourself into a mess there... ;x
You could give DFSee a shot - it's not very intuitive but it's really powerful. Only problem is that apparently its ext2/3 support is rather weak at the moment but maybe the docs are just outdated? It's worth trying nevertheless :)

You might want to check out chapter 8 of http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/dfshowto.txt to make a backup first, though.

-Soeren
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, e2fsk seems to have put everything in /lost+found. I'm still thinking about wether I just delete the partition and reinstall or actually go and sort all files out. Thanks for the suggestion, but it's of no help anymore, now.

:roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: