View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evilguru
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Mounting In KDE Reply with quote

I am having some problems with mounting in KDE, first I do have hal and dbus and they are set to start up with the system as well as pmount with KDE 3.5.1. If I go to media:/ in Konqueror it tells me that /dev/sda4 is not mounted (which is my root drive), and when I double click on it it goes and tells me that it is already mounted (talk about retarded) and it does the same if I run Konqueror as root.

Then there is my problem with my external hard disk, which I often move around from one computer to another and my usb pen drive. On my Ubuntu system I just plug them in and it does the rest, mounts them and lets me what I do what I want with them. On my Gentoo system KDE pops up telling me that it has found the device (and its two partitions) but when I click on open in konqueror it just tells me that it can not find an entry for it in /etc/fstab or mtab.

Now, while I could go and create an entry, I am not going to. As it is not all that extensible is it? I have no idea how many removeable drives I am going to have in my computer or how many partitions each one is going to have and am not going to try and guess what my mates will do with their pen drives next. So I am looking for a way to auto-mount my drives correct and get it to work.

Regards Freddie.
tSp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine was doing something similar to this after upgrading to kde-3.5 several weeks ago, now -r1. I remember that I had hal emerged but not ivman - after emerging ivman it worked correctly....but just in case, these are the versions I am using that is working...

Current versions I have are:
* sys-apps/ivman
Latest version available: 0.6.8
Latest version installed: 0.6.8

* sys-apps/hal
Latest version available: 0.5.5.1-r3
Latest version installed: 0.5.5.1-r3

* sys-fs/udev
Latest version available: 085
Latest version installed: 085

* sys-apps/pmount
Latest version available: 0.9.6
Latest version installed: 0.9.6

* sys-apps/dbus
Latest version available: 0.60-r4
Latest version installed: 0.60-r4
http://www.maysville-linux-users-group.org
http://www.edwiget.name

Registered Linux User #162711
MadEgg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know KDE doesn't need ivman to mount/unmount correctly; it's not installed on my system and it kind of works properly for harddisks and USB-devices... CD's and floppys are still a problem.
AOpen Aeolus GeForce 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR2
Creative Audigy2 ZS
gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r7
nVidia-drivers version 9755
Evilguru
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for some reason it does not work for me. I have searched for guides on how to get auto-mounting in Linux to work, but all I got was a load of crap.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing my two problems and what I can do to solve them?
Evilguru
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seemed to fix the auto-mounting problem, and it is now happy to mount my drive (except the reiser4 partition, but that is a limitation of pmount, not kde).

However, I still have the problem of root not being mounted (well, it is mounted and when I try to mount it I even get told that it could not mount it because it is already mounted).
Slalomsk8er
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem but I think I found the source of the problem in /proc/mounts or at least a hint to it.

My root is listed as "/dev/root / reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0" and not as "/dev/hda6 / reiserfs rw,noatime 0 0" like it is listed in /etc/fstab!

Now we need to find a way to fix this ;)
HTS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having same kind of problem.
Whenever I mount a new device (like an external usb hd), kde suddenly thinks all other hard drives are unmounted (kde 3.5.3).
So i get the error with the "already mounted according to mtab" and konqueror fails to open the device.

But I can still access the device using /mnt/External

Still no solution to this?

EDIT: Well, I installed hal and the problem disappreared, but the "native" behaviour of kde is weird...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: