Boot from CD failed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-PaiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Boot from CD failed Reply with quote

Hey guys and girls,

I've just downloaded and burned "livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso", on my Celeron 400 laptop with a 24x CD-ROM player it gives an error however:

Code:
boot: gentoo
Loading gentoo.............
Loading gentoo.igz.........................................isolinux: Disk error 20, AX = 4280, drive 82

Boot failed: press a key to retry

Regardless of what boot options I provide it refuses to boot.

Now I've never failed to burn a CD correctly so, refusing to believe it was broken, I've put the CD-ROM in my main system and booted from it: It worked perfect.

edit: I forgot to mention that the laptop is Prime95 and memtest stable and that Gentoo 2005.1 does boot correctly.

What could be the issue?
rand200069
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot from CD failed Reply with quote

E-PaiN wrote:
Hey guys and girls,

I've just downloaded and burned "livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso", on my Celeron 400 laptop with a 24x CD-ROM player it gives an error however:

Code:
Loading gentoo.igz.........................................isolinux: Disk error 20, AX = 4280, drive 82

Boot failed: press a key to retry

Regardless of what boot options I provide it refuses to boot.

Now I've never failed to burn a CD correctly so, refusing to believe it was broken, I've put the CD-ROM in my main system and booted from it: It worked perfect.

edit: I forgot to mention that the laptop is Prime95 and memtest stable and that Gentoo 2005.1 does boot correctly.

What could be the issue?

I noticed the same problem on an IBM eServer x235. Mine doesn't make it quite as far as yours though. It stops at:

Code:

I do not get the disk errors that you get. This system also boots the 2005.1 CD with no problems.
Edit: I just checked my 2006.0 and the md5 sums match those that are posted on the mirrors, and the disc boots on another system. Just another piece of information :)
brunoxghx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: x86 LiveCD 2006.0 boot problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to install x86 LiveCD 2006.0 . When I try to boot the CD I always get the same error.

- Burn with 3 differents CD-Burner
- Burn with ISO from different places.
- Tested with 2 different computer...
- Nothing special on my hardware. Everything was working fine with 2005.x .

Here's the error:

Code:

Loading gentoo....isolinux: Disk error 32, AX=4200, drive 9F

Boot failed: press a key to retry...

I don't know what can I do more...

Thanks!
Brunoxghx
E-PaiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be a Live CD issue then, I guess I'll just download the Universal 2006.0, I was planning on a command line installation anyway.

If anyone does find out the problem, please do let me know!
abhidg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What software did you use to burn the ISO?
If you used Nero, then you should enable Disc-at-once and finalize the CD.

P.S. Where's the link for Universal 2006.0 x86 CD? I couldn't find it anywhere
and on the downloads page it says that the Universal CD has been replaced with the
Installer LiveCD.
E-PaiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abhidg wrote:
What software did you use to burn the ISO?
If you used Nero, then you should enable Disc-at-once and finalize the CD.

P.S. Where's the link for Universal 2006.0 x86 CD? I couldn't find it anywhere
and on the downloads page it says that the Universal CD has been replaced with the
Installer LiveCD.

Oh, in that case I will use the minimal installation disk. It doesn't matter for me anyway, I want a command line installation and I will download everything from the internet.

I've used Nero Express and have burned it as a "Disc Image or Saved Project", I haven't done verification tests and have burned it on an MMORE 700MB CD-ROM at 52x using my Lite-On 52x32x52 IDE burner in Windows 2000 SP4 with all updates and DMA enabled.

After it failed booting on my laptop I've tried to boot from it on my own computer and this worked perfectly, it booted straight into Gnome.
On the laptop I've tried to at the delay thing for slow CD-ROM's, I've tried to disable various options but it won't even get past the loading of gentoo.igz
legacyboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting the same issue with the AMD64 live cd,
I was burning it with DeepBurner,
I just thought it was a bad iso, I will try a disc at once burn, I was just going to do another command line install, then I got all excited when I saw the live CD screen shots :)
rand200069
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that I was using the 2006.0 LiveCD. I have not tried the minimal. I already have gentoo on this system...I just wanted to try out the LiveCD and see the graphical installer :)

I used Nero on Windows XP to burn the disc. I used Disk-At-Once and finalized the disc...used the same process that I have always used to burn gentoo / various linux ISOs, so it shouldn't be a problem with that.
eldados
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problem here with the live cd.
any ideas?
Shazer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of you fine gentlemen/ladies did a md5sum check on the ISO? What site did you get if from? was it from the Gentoo mirror list? I use Alcohol in windows and nero in L1nux and it never fails.

// Shazer
E-PaiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shazer wrote:
Did any of you fine gentlemen/ladies did a md5sum check on the ISO? What site did you get if from? was it from the Gentoo mirror list? I use Alcohol in windows and nero in L1nux and it never fails.
// Shazer

I didn't do an md5sum but I've downloaded it straight from gentoo.org, the strange thing is that it works fine on my computer but fails to boot on my laptop.

The minimum 2006.0 disc and the universal 2005.1 disc work perfectly on the same laptop, I've now got Gentoo 2006.0 setup perfectly.
Shazer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-PaiN wrote:
Shazer wrote:
// Shazer

I didn't do an md5sum but I've downloaded it straight from gentoo.org, the strange thing is that it works fine on my computer but fails to boot on my laptop.

The minimum 2006.0 disc and the universal 2005.1 disc work perfectly on the same laptop, I've now got Gentoo 2006.0 setup perfectly.

E-Pain,

check the BIOS settings on your laptop. Last time I got an error of this nature, I just reset the bios to defaults/safe settings and fixed the problem. Try that and let us know how it goes.

// Shazer
E-PaiN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shazer wrote:

E-Pain,

check the BIOS settings on your laptop. Last time I got an error of this nature, I just reset the bios to defaults/safe settings and fixed the problem. Try that and let us know how it goes.

// Shazer

I will try that once I get home, the BIOS of this old Toshiba hardly has any options that could possibly cause this though.
The IDE is set to Enhanced rather then Standard but I think even that is normal, will try it though!
c0r3dump
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem like that once, i just burned the cd at a slower speed and all worked fine. try buring at 1x i know it will be slowly painfull. but for some reason my old cd rom didnt like burned at 48.

c04e
legacyboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I burned the disc 4x, Bios settings seem ok, I am installing to a serial ATA drive.
Not sure if it makes a difference but its the AMD64 cd, I tried from 5 dif mirrors.
I am going to try a fresh image again tonight.
1dude1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: speedo Reply with quote

ok tryed to use the gentoo livecd 2005.1 installer but that didn't work the installer failed during the actual instalation after it set the root password. then when the livecd 2006.0 came out i was like sweet finaly i get gentoo but when i booted it, it said cannot detect screen, and fatal error modual not found cannot load the modual speedo.
any ideas anyone?
legacyboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AMD 2006.0 image appears to be pooched, I got this on 3 dif mirrors.

100%[===========================================================================>] 724,488,192 290.01K/s ETA 00:00

Segmentation fault

I found a another image here http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo/experimental/amd64/livecd/livecd-amd64-installer-2006.0.iso
It is only 691 megs vs the 724. I guess the other mirrors have not been updated.
Kurous
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting a kernel panic when trying to use the 2006.0 livecd on my laptop and booting nofb seemed to fix it. However, 2006 doesn't detect my wireless card and 2005.1 does!
nomind
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also confirm this strange error on 2006.1 x86 Live. Burned the disc with Alcohol 120% at 12x. Checked the md5sum as well. Nothing seems to be wrong except for the LiveCD itself :(
Squ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same error, and i DID do a md5 checksum on the ISO, and it was ok.
I'll try to re-burn the cd in a different drive, and maybe at a lower speed and see what happens.

edit: It worked.. finalized the burn and enabled disk-at-once in nero, and burn in another burner.. and it seems to be working ok!
Elephant_hog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I have had the same problem with the x86 LiveCd I so far have not been able to fix the problem but I have downloaded it 2 times and once it downloaded 250mb and then the second time it downloaded 150mb So it isn't downloading the whole file... (I downloaded these from different mirrors) The Error im getting is

ISOLINUX 3.09 2005-06-17 Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Perer Anvin isolinux: Disk Error 20, AX = 420B, drive EF
Boot failed: press a key to retry...

So now I ame trying to download via a torrent. I will keep you posed on my progress. (I burned this CD 3 times with 2 different programs and the third time on 1x, Then I reliezed that the file sizes were different. Also I tried to reset the bios settings.)
Also I tried to boot the cd on 2 seperate computers. Niether of them worked.
I don't know if my problem is the same as the one that you are having...
Video Card = AGP8X Nvidia GeForce5200
RAM = 512MB DDR400
Elephant_hog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: It worked Reply with quote

I finished downloading the liveCD with a torrent file and burned it with nero express 6 on 40x and it booted up and worked. Hope this helps.
Video Card = AGP8X Nvidia GeForce5200
RAM = 512MB DDR400
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: