FreeBSD or Linux for Music Computer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: FreeBSD or Linux for Music Computer? Reply with quote

Ok, simple question.

I have a computer being used to play music (mostly mp3s, ogg vorbis, occasional audio cd) before movies. It plays sound through the house system, which means it needs to go from the sound card, through a set of amps to level all of my inputs (computer, 35mm projectors, 16mm projectors), a "Cinema Processor 55" (not sure if this alters the signal, but I'm assuming it doesn't help it), and then down to the house system's amps and finally the speakers.

Right now it's running FreeBSD, and while it usually sounds ok, it seems like the music clips on anything with too much bass, and I don't think it's anything down the line, because when we used a CD player it worked fine. I'm wondering if Linux (most likely Gentoo) would output any better sound quality, or if it's more a function of the sound hardware (I think it's intel onboard sound).

Mods, I think this is the right thread, if it should be moved go ahead and move it.
CorpseOfMystic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its almost certainly the hardware. FreeBSD should not output sound of any less quality than Linux. However, because FreeBSD exposes an OSS-compatible API, there are other weaknesses, like needing hacks to get precise 4-channel control. If that isn't worth it to you, don't switch.
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning the volume down a bit (PCM and Master). I know on my sound card if I turn the PCM up too high I get clipping.

If you want to see if there's some kind of difference between FreeBSD and Linux just pop in a Linux LiveCD.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did turn down the PCM a bit, but the problem is I don't get enough signal out under FreeBSD. I have this nifty amplifier that simply levels all of my inputs (I think I mentioned it before), turn a pot, channel's level goes up or down. However, under FreeBSD I can't seem to get enough signal out to amplifier it before sending it into the house sound system.

I tried a Knoppix CD last night, and I didn't have much time to test (we ran our weekly showings last night), but it sounded like it was putting out much higher levels than under FreeBSD. This is kind of interesting to me, because I would assume maximum volume output is independent of the OS...but this five minute test seems to show otherwise. I could be wrong, didn't get to test the same songs because my server wasn't cooperating to stream music, but it definitely sounded louder under Knoppix. Very strange.
krom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also has an intel onboard soundcard and the sound quality is the same for both, linux and freebsd. If you wants a good quality buy something better as the embebed cards never gave me good quality.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: