Install problems on a Thinkpad
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmulcahy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Install problems on a Thinkpad Reply with quote

My Kubuntu install just decided to break yesterday on my laptop. I wanted Gentoo anyway since it has been running so well on my desktop for so long.

Unfortunately, I decided to do this right after 2006.0 was released. There seem to be a few bugs remaining. Since I want to get up and running without having to wait for a stage 1 install, I tried the livecd install method.

It stops with an error:
Code:
mount: Mounting /newroot/mnt/cdrom/image.squashfs on /newroot/mnt/livecd failed: Invalid argument

Before that, the boot seems to go fairly well. Once it hits that, obviously, it goes horribly south.

I tried several options in the boot menu, including nofb, nodetect (which wasn't good for me at all), noacpi and several others. When I try those, it gets to the hardware detection and finds my CPU. After printing the CPU info, it stops. I can still switch terminals but cannot get anything else to show up. I also tried the option to load the image into RAM. I forgot what that one was, but it was no more successful.

I just want to get a stage3 install up and running. Is 2005.1 still available? I'd hate to have to download another 600+ meg but if that's what I have to do...

Thanks
cmulcahy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responding to myself.

I decided to use the old method of install instead of working through the issues I had with the graphical install. It's been compiling for about 20 hours now. It has about 80 more items in the emerge queue to get KDE up and running.

At least it's going. Another couple of days and it should be usable again.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: