View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: scmpc - (Another) Audioscrobbler client for MPD Reply with quote

This is a project I've been working on (off and on) for about a year, but it's finally got to a stage where it looks like it might be suitable for release to the general public. I'm now looking for testers. :)

I know there are already a few clients out there, but none of them did quite what I wanted. At the time I started writing scmpc, mpdscribble hadn't been written yet, and I picked this as a project to teach myself C programming, mainly. Still, I haven't found a client that has all these features at once:
  • scmpc can run as a daemon - it doesn't need to be backgrounded by the shell.
  • It works with crossfading enabled.
  • It's robust in terms of network connections - it'll keep running even if it can't connect to anything, and it will keep trying to reconnect except in a few fatal cases, such as passwords being rejected.
  • It's multi-threaded, so the mpd and audioscrobbler parts can keep operating independently.
  • It queues songs if they can't be submitted immediately, and this queue can be saved periodically as well as when the program exits, so it aims to keep track of all the tracks that you play.

You can use this ebuild to install it. You might have to adjust the KEYWORDS line for your architecture - if it works, please tell me and I'll add the arch here.
media-sound/scmpc-0.2.2.ebuild:
# Copyright 1999-2006 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

inherit eutils

DESCRIPTION="A multithreaded MPD client for Audioscrobbler"
HOMEPAGE="http://scmpc.berlios.de"
SRC_URI="http://download.berlios.de/${PN}/${P}.tar.bz2"

RESTRICT="primaryuri"

LICENSE="GPL-2"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~x86"
IUSE=""

DEPEND=">=net-misc/curl-7.10.0
   dev-libs/libdaemon
   dev-libs/confuse
   dev-libs/argtable"
RDEPEND=""

src_install() {
   make DESTDIR="${D}" install || die "Install failed!"
}

pkg_postinst() {
   echo
   einfo "You will need to set up your scmpc.conf file before running scmpc"
   einfo "for the first time. An example has been installed in"
   einfo "${ROOT}usr/share/scmpc/scmpc.conf, which can be copied to"
   einfo "${ROOT}etc/scmpc.conf. For more details, please see the scmpc(1)"
   einfo "manual page."
   echo
}

If you try it out, please let me know what you think! All feedback is welcomed. :D

Last edited by Maedhros on Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
truc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I have to run scmpc as root? if not, a few comments:

Code:
scmpc -n
2006-03-03 20:10:59  Cache file (/var/lib/scmpc/scmpc.cache) cannot be opened for writing: No such file or directory

I think the ebuild should create this. btw mkdir /var/lib/scmpc/ && chown root:audio /var/lib/scmpc did it (then the file scmpc.cache was created)

same with
Code:
scmpc
The log file (/var/log/scmpc.log) cannot be opened: Permission denied
Daemon failed to start.

Again, something has to be done..
sure we can create this file, -rw-rw-r-- 1 root audio 0 mar 3 20:15 scmpc.log but I'm not sure given write acces to the audio group is a good idea. May be creating a scmpc user would be a good idea? (as for mpd)

BTW, after creating it I still can't launch the daemon
Code:
scmpc
Daemon failed to start.

cat scmpc.log
2006-03-03 20:22:34  Could not create PID file (/var/run/scmpc.pid): Permission denied.

(I know I could use the --pid-file option...)

Now I really do think creating a scmpc user can be a good idea, but I'm not a programmer I can be wrong :?

Well for now I can't launch the daemon (I don't know how to implement this user)

man scmpc deals with /etc/scmpc.conf but there isn't such a file, is this normal?

Hope this can help:)

EDIT: oh well after creating /var/lib/scmpc/, I can launch scmpc -n but I really don't know what to do with that? How do I add,queue songs and so on?
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truc wrote:
Do I have to run scmpc as root?

No, but you will have to change the paths in which scmpc looks for files - this is that part of my config file:
Code:
log_file = "/home/jc/.scmpc/scmpc.log"
pid_file = "/home/jc/.scmpc/scmpc.pid"
cache_file = "/home/jc/.scmpc/scmpc.cache"

truc wrote:
man scmpc deals with /etc/scmpc.conf but there isn't such a file, is this normal?

There's an example configuration file in /usr/share/scmpc/scmpc.conf... I should have said something about that... :oops:

truc wrote:
EDIT: oh well after creating /var/lib/scmpc/, I can launch scmpc -n but I really don't know what to do with that? How do I add,queue songs and so on?

You can't - it's not a client which will control MPD, it's just one that reads the song that MPD is currently playing and submits it to Audioscrobbler.

truc wrote:
Hope this can help:)

Thanks a lot for trying it out. :D
WerK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried it out and I must say it works quite well :). Just copied that example config file (you should make ebuild do it automatically), changed paths to my ~/.scmpc as you suggested and works without a problem. Guess that I will replace mpdscribble with that, because this one is much smaller and can be run as user :) Good job and thanks for great client :D

P.S : ah, no problems also with UTF-8, you can check @ http://www.last.fm/user/werkon/ :)
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WerK wrote:
Just copied that example config file (you should make ebuild do it automatically)
I could do that, but it would be useless for people who aren't going to run it as root... I think I'll just make a comment somewhere about the package installing an example config file to /usr/share/scmpc.

WerK wrote:
Guess that I will replace mpdscribble with that, because this one is much smaller and can be run as user
Hmm, it's probably smaller because I use more external libraries than mpdscribble. You can run mpdscribble as a user too - the only things I know of that mpdscribble can't do that scmpc can is detect songs with crossfading enabled, and run in the background by itself.

WerK wrote:
P.S : ah, no problems also with UTF-8, you can check @ http://www.last.fm/user/werkon/ :)
That's good to know. The client doesn't actually do any text processing by itself, so it shouldn't have a problem with anything MPD can cope with, but there's always a chance I could have messed it up somewhere. :wink:

WerK wrote:
Good job and thanks for great client :D
Thankyou! :D
WerK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a little rather annoying issue with scmpc : when I shut down my comp using halt command everything is OK. But next time I start up my machine the scmpc which is started by my .xsession file complains about :
Code:
Could not create PID file (/home/werk/.scmpc/scmpc.pid): File exists.
I guess that it is something with permissions because my ls -la /home/werk/.scmpc/scmpc.pid returns :
Code:
----------  1 werk users 6 Mar  6 14:52 scmpc.pid
So there are no access rights. Removing the pidfile helps, but chmod 755 on pidfile doesn't :
Code:
Process 15644 died: No such process; removing PID file. (/home/werk/.scmpc/scmpc.pid)
and then when starting again :
Code:
Failed to open PID file: Permission denied
Daemon failed to start.

EDIT : looks like i traced it to the point that 'pkill scmpc' terminates client OK but 'pkill -9 scmpc' creates that issue with pidfile
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've noticed some odd things happening there, too. If you send scmpc the TERM signal, which is the default with kill I think, it shuts down normally and removes the pid file. If you send it a KILL signal though it just dies - that's one of the two signals you can't catch. I'm going to try to add some code to change the permissions on the pid file back to something sensible before opening it, and see if that fixes it. I have no idea why the file gets its permissions changed to 000 though. :?

As for this message:
Code:
Process 15644 died: No such process; removing PID file. (/home/werk/.scmpc/scmpc.pid)

I'm going to have to try to find a way of changing this because it's spectacularly unhelpful. What it actually means is that the process that created the pid file is no longer running, so there isn't another daemon running already. and scmpc will start up happily. That's part of some third party code though (libdaemon), so I'm not sure what I can do about it at the moment.

Edit:
Quote:
looks like i traced it to the point that 'pkill scmpc' terminates client OK but 'pkill -9 scmpc' creates that issue with pidfile
Is this reproducible, by the way? It does happen to me occasionally, but not when I want it to so I can find out why. :roll:
WerK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maedhros wrote:
Is this reproducible, by the way? It does happen to me occasionally, but not when I want it to so I can find out why. :roll:

I hope that this "session" log will help you :)
Code:
werk@V1046R .scmpc $ ls -la
total 36
drwxr-xr-x   2 werk users  4096 Mar  7 20:09 .
drwx------  83 werk users 12288 Mar  7 20:08 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 werk users     0 Mar  7 20:00 scmpc.cache
-rw-r--r--   1 werk users 19928 Mar  7 20:09 scmpc.log
werk@V1046R .scmpc $ scmpc
werk@V1046R .scmpc $ ps axu | grep scmpc
werk     21325  0.0  0.2  36520  1252 ?        Ssl  20:10   0:00 scmpc
werk     21331  0.0  0.1   2776   644 pts/2    R+   20:10   0:00 grep scmpc
werk@V1046R .scmpc $ pkill -9 scmpc
werk@V1046R .scmpc $ ls -la
total 40
drwxr-xr-x   2 werk users  4096 Mar  7 20:10 .
drwx------  83 werk users 12288 Mar  7 20:08 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 werk users     0 Mar  7 20:10 scmpc.cache
-rw-r--r--   1 werk users 19928 Mar  7 20:09 scmpc.log
----------   1 werk users     6 Mar  7 20:10 scmpc.pid
Failed to open PID file: Permission denied
Daemon failed to start.
werk@V1046R .scmpc $ rm scmpc.pid
rm: remove write-protected regular file `scmpc.pid'? y
werk@V1046R .scmpc $ ps axu | grep scmpc
werk     21344  0.0  0.2  36516  1248 ?        Ssl  20:10   0:00 scmpc
werk     21350  0.0  0.1   2772   640 pts/2    R+   20:10   0:00 grep scmpc

Ah, and the permissions on my ~/.scmpc are
Code:
drwxr-xr-x   2 werk users     4096 Mar  7 20:10 .scmpc

Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've released version 0.1.1 which should hopefully solve all this. I'm still not entirely sure why it was happening, but I suspect a 'umask(0777)' in daemon_fork that wasn't described anywhere, so any new files that got created got created with 0 permissions. daemon_pid_create which I used to use changed the umask before and after creating the file, so I'm still not entirely sure why it sometimes ended up with 0 permissions...

Sorry it tooks so long to reply to this, but I've been really swamped by work this week...
WerK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maedhros wrote:
Ok, I've released version 0.1.1 which should hopefully solve all this. I'm still not entirely sure why it was happening, but I suspect a 'umask(0777)' in daemon_fork that wasn't described anywhere, so any new files that got created got created with 0 permissions. daemon_pid_create which I used to use changed the umask before and after creating the file, so I'm still not entirely sure why it sometimes ended up with 0 permissions...

Sorry it tooks so long to reply to this, but I've been really swamped by work this week...

Yeah 8) Well done, I quickly checked it, and the PID issue is solved. Just "Old pid file removed." and everything works :D Thanks
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WerK wrote:
Yeah 8) Well done, I quickly checked it, and the PID issue is solved. Just "Old pid file removed." and everything works :D Thanks

Yay, I'm glad it works! Thanks for your help testing it, and your patience. :D
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 0.2.0 is out!

This has been pretty much completely rewritten, and it should fix a lot of potential bugs. The MPD code in particular was fairly broken before - I think the only reason it actually worked half the time was due to sheer luck. 8O

There are no new features, but that's because so far it does everything I want. If anyone has any feature requests, tell me, and I'll see what can be done. :D
WerK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, looks like I have a problem with the most recent version. I noticed that new songs aren't appearing after a update so I ran it in foreground and debug enabled mode and I get this every time a song plays :
Code:
2006-03-25 22:18:24  New song detected. [Brisk and Ham -  Angel Eyes]
2006-03-25 22:20:40  Not submitting song, seeking detected.
2006-03-25 22:20:40  realtime = 136.000000, reported_time = 152.000000
for example (of course that I'm not seeking in the song, I'm using gmpc or eloquence e17 module to control mpd)
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very odd. Have you got crossfade enabled? Does the new song get reported by scmpc instantly when it starts playing? The realtime value is at least consistent with the timing in the log, so it must be something odd about the reported_time value. Does that value make sense for it to be half way through the song?
WerK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like some of mine mp3's are b0rken ... it does that only with some songs and not with others, the problem probably isn't in your program.
zeppelin_II
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do last.fm changed their submission addres ?
Code:
2006-04-23 16:30:32  Could not connect to the audioscrobbler server: couldn't connect to server

mpdscribble don't work too, but http://last.fm does. :\
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they've just turned off song submissions for a while: http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/51596. :)
zeppelin_II
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, yes missed that, now everything is working fine :)
REDONDOS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I've been using mpdscribble until someone (rc0) suggested scmpc on the last.fm gentoo forum.

What I like about scmpc is that:
a) It keeps a cache file. I haven't tested it much, but I have the feeling I won't be losing any more submissions.
b) Works with crossfading enabled. I never questioned myself why mpdscribble didn't work with it.
c) It's simpler. I inserted it into my mpd init script, and it hasn't ever given me a problem. Of course, I just installed it.

Here's what I added:
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/bin/scmpc -- -f /home/redondos/.scmpc/scmpc.conf
start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --exec /usr/bin/scmpc --oknodo

While this is what I have for mpdscribble, after a while of experimenting with it:
CONF=/home/redondos/.mpdscribble/mpdscribble.conf
start-stop-daemon --start -p /var/run/mpdscribble.pid -b -m --exec /usr/bin/mpdscribble -- --conf $CONF --verbose 1
start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet -p /var/run/mpdscribble.pid -m --exec /usr/bin/mpdscribble || eerror "mpdscribble is not running"

Of course, I am only showing the relevant lines. Just in case anyone needs them! :)

Thanks, and cheers.

--
redondos
kesara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Nice Program Reply with quote

This program works fine on my system.
And as REDONDOS mentioned it is a good idea if you add a scmpc init script.
Right now I'm using my own init script to start scmpc.
Thx Maedhros and Keep up the good work. :)

BTW This is my scmpc init script..
Code:
#!/sbin/runscript

depend() {
   need net mpd
}

start () {

ebegin "Starting scmpc"
   start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/bin/scmpc
   eend $?
}

stop () {
   ebegin "Stopping scmpc"
   start-stop-daemon --stop --exec /usr/bin/scmpc || eerror "scmpc is not running"
   eend $?
}

OgRo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice

it seems to be a great package.

will it ever be in portage?

Linux user #297942
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just released 0.2.1, which is just a bugfix release really. If you find any more bugs, please let me know - and I think I've now setup Berlios to email me when someone files bugs, after I discovered there was one sitting there for nearly a month before I found it. :oops:

Thanks for the init script, kesara! OgRo, it probably won't be getting into portage anytime soon as it probably isn't widely used enough, I don't think. By the way, if any of you have any ideas for something else this program should do, please tell me. :) Perhaps dropping root privileges for when it's being run by an init script?
GentlemanFinn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maedhros wrote:
I've just released 0.2.1, which is just a bugfix release really. If you find any more bugs, please let me know - and I think I've now setup Berlios to email me when someone files bugs, after I discovered there was one sitting there for nearly a month before I found it. :oops:

Thanks for the init script, kesara! OgRo, it probably won't be getting into portage anytime soon as it probably isn't widely used enough, I don't think. By the way, if any of you have any ideas for something else this program should do, please tell me. :) Perhaps dropping root privileges for when it's being run by an init script?

Great to hear about a new version of my favorite audioscrobbler client for MPD, just when I came here to file a bug, where scmpc would spame it's log with 'Could not get current song: Connection timed out'.
I'll test the new version and see if it's still there.

Dropping root privileges when run by an init script, would be a feature I'd be lookng forward to, at the moment I'm starting it with '--chuid $USER:user' but I would prefer running it as none root, the same way as MPD

Edit: remember to update the ebuild to reflect the update to 0.2.1 :)
bladus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with the connection to audioscrobbler.
scmpc reports
Code:
2006-05-30 21:04:51  No username or password specified. Not connecting to audioscrobbler.

but i set everything correctly in my config.

Code:
audioscrobbler {
   username = "bladus"
   password = "***"
}

Edit:
Okay i solved the problem.
scmpc didn't load the config file, i had to pass it with "scmpc -f /usr/share/scmpc/scmpc.conf". I thought this is the standard-path for the config?

It runs very good on my amd64, so you can add the ~amd64 keyword to the next ebuild.
For the next version, it would be cool if scmpc wouldn't overwrite the config after an upgrade.
Keep up the good work!

Edit2: I just read through the man-file and noticed that scmpc doesnt look at /usr/share/scmpc/ for the config file. I think the config-file should be copied at /etc/ when installing scmpc, or there should be at least an info-msg in the ebuild like "An example config is in xxx, ...".
zedek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: It even does not compile here :( Reply with quote

i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--sort-common -s -lpthread -largtable2 -lcurl -ldl -lgnutls -lgcrypt -lgpg-error -lz -lconfuse -ldaemon ./src/audioscrobbler.o ./src/libmpd.o ./src/md5.o ./src/misc.o ./src/mpd.o ./src/preferences.o ./src/scmpc.o -o src/scmpc
./src/audioscrobbler.o: In function `cache_thread':
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x591): undefined reference to `pthread_testcancel'
./src/audioscrobbler.o: In function `as_submit_queue':
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x72f): undefined reference to `curl_escape'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x767): undefined reference to `curl_free'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x7d9): undefined reference to `curl_escape'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x7f0): undefined reference to `curl_escape'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x809): undefined reference to `curl_escape'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x820): undefined reference to `curl_escape'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x88c): undefined reference to `curl_free'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x898): undefined reference to `curl_free'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x8a0): undefined reference to `curl_free'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x8a8): undefined reference to `curl_free'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x98a): undefined reference to `curl_easy_setopt'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x9a5): undefined reference to `curl_easy_setopt'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x9c3): undefined reference to `curl_easy_setopt'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0x9d1): undefined reference to `curl_easy_perform'
audioscrobbler.c:(.text+0xbe9): undefined reference to `curl_easy_strerror'

It is on ~x86 with GCC 4.1.1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: