DHCPCD hangs on LiveCD, can't get networking to work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chadnickbok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: DHCPCD hangs on LiveCD, can't get networking to work Reply with quote

Hi all, after successfully getting a desktop system sorted out, I'm now trying to spread the love and install gentoo on a friend's laptop.

So, after turning off acpi and apic or something to get the keyboard to work, the next thing is networking.

My windoze box has been faithfully serving up DHCP goodness to my desktop with no worries. I'm running cable internet to my windows machine, connecting my windows machine to my switch, then plugged my desktop into the switch. Now, plugging in the laptop to the switch *should* work.

When running from windows, the laptop can indeed connect to the internet using this setup

lspci yields;
Quote:

0000:0012.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

lsmod yields;
Quote:

8139cp
8139too
mii 8139cp, 8139too

and ifconfig -a tells me that we have a loopback controller and eth0;
Link Encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:30:13:B5:ED:D5

And there are lots of 0's and not much else.

So, following the guide's instructions, I manually configured it, to have an ip of 192.168.0.3, Broadcast on 192.168.0.255, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. This still failed.

Basically, I've followed all instructions, it seems to have the correct drivers and my pc can see it, but when trying to get it to run just using DHCPCD (in the hope that things just work) I get this message (verbose mode);

*Starting eth0
* Loading Network Modules for eth0
* Modules: iptunnel ifconfig adsl dhcpcd apipa
* ifconfig provides interface
* dhcpcd provides dhcp
* Bringing up eth0
* dhcp
* running dhcpcd ... [ !! ]

As a last note, I also downloaded the packages CD, but had no idea how to install the packages from it, and ended up emerging from the internet anyway. I know its *possible* to do a networkless install, but is there a guide to it? I've only recently switched from windows and have no idea what I'm doing, so basics would be great.

Last edited by chadnickbok on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try installing from a KNOPPIX livecd: http://docs.gentoo.org/altinstall.xml#doc_chap3
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: DHCPCD hangs on LiveCD, can't get networking to work Reply with quote

chadnickbok wrote:
lsmod yields;
Quote:

8139cp
8139too
mii 8139cp, 8139too

Loading 2 drivers for the same piece of hardware will usually cause it to not work. Try this and see if it helps.
Code:
# modprobe -r 8139too
# modprobe -r 8139cp
# modprobe 8139too
# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
# ifconfig -a
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: